SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Basement smoke detector just sounded.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basement smoke detector just sounded. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
The basement smoke detector beeped 9 times and went silent. The blinking light indicated it's in latching mode which means it detected alarm levels of smoke but it dropped below alarm level.

I looked around, saw nothing and smelled no smoke. It's been raining and humid but the dehumidifier had been running in the basement non-stop for days now.

This is disconcerting. What should I check?

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Could it possibly be the "low battery" alarm?
Some detectors will beep multiple times periodically, when the battery starts getting low.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What brand is it? If it's kidde/firex call them. They will walk you through trouble shooting it.

Kidde Product Support: 1-800-880-6788

If another brand, remove detector and see if there is a support number.

It's quite possible the unit has failed. How old is it?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
It could be an old wives tale but I remember hearing recommendations to vacuum them clean and that they would give a lot of false alarms if dusty.

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
dust and spiders can set them off. Is there any evidence of furnace problems such as soot on unit indicating a small back fire? i'm sure you've had it maintained on an annual basis as is necessary so I won't ask.
smoke detectors also don't last forever...typical life expectancy is highly variable depending on conditions but 7 years seems to be average. Look for the mfg date on the unit.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Look for cobwebs. God damn bugs love my garage detector and will set it off occasionally. At least they only do so at 3am. Mad

Vacuum it and all around it.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
There was no evidence of dust or cobwebs but I vacuumed it. It hasn't happened again. I didn't think to check the furnace since it isn't active.

It is a First Alert SA320 that I installed in 2013.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Not out of the question that it is going bad. Cheap enough to replace. When mine have gone bad I have gotten false alarms and batteries generally only reading as good for a short time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
There was no evidence of dust or cobwebs but I vacuumed it. It hasn't happened again. I didn't think to check the furnace since it isn't active.

That's a good brand and only four years old should not be having problems.

Did you install yourself, if not do you trust electrician who did it? A loose connection can cause phantom alerts or fry the circuitry.

I'd watch for next 24, if it happens again, check connections. If it happens again, try to have firstalert send replacement. When checking connections, look for paint on twisted home wiring. Crappy electricians don't wire nut the wires and paint ain't a great conductor, this can lead to premature failure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

That's a good brand and only four years old should not be having problems.

Did you install yourself, if not do you trust electrician who did it? A loose connection can cause phantom alerts or fry the circuitry.

I'd watch for next 24, if it happens again, check connections. If it happens again, try to have firstalert send replacement. When checking connections, look for paint on twisted home wiring. Crappy electricians don't wire nut the wires and paint ain't a great conductor, this can lead to premature failure.
These are battery only. No connection to utility electric.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are battery only. No connection to utility electric.

Oh. Toss it and get new one, or if you have time call first alert and get replacement.

In the mean time. I'd swap it with whatever room you are in most. If it goes off again there confirmation it's bad, if it goes off in original location again, call FD.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
Could be caused by humidity.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on your dehumidifier! My last 2 have been recalled for catching on fire!

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I installed 5 first alert "10 year lithium battery only" smoke detectors about 4 years ago. None of them are still up. I had to replace all of them within 4 years. They are junk. I went back to wired with 9 volt battery backup

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ace73:
Keep an eye on your dehumidifier! My last 2 have been recalled for catching on fire!

That's a good thought. There are several dehumidifier recalls out there. IIRC correctly, if you google dehumidifier recall you can find a site to plug in your brand, model and serial number to see if yours is on the list.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post