SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Broke down and bought another chainsaw yesterday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broke down and bought another chainsaw yesterday Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So made a trip to town for a few supplies. I had seen some ad's for Stihl. An MS170 for $159.
It is a small saw. Of which I have three or four already. But have another project to thin an acreage of several hundred small trees. This little guy should do fine for it. 30.1cc and a 14" bar. Very light weight. I know it is a light duty homeowner jobbie. But I am going to test it out on a bit more of a commercial application. I am sure I will get the $159 out of it. Who knows it might outlast me Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19208 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
A Stihl? Keep it full of oil and clean out the garbage that packs into the cooling system with use and it will likely last forever.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two stills and that 170 is one of them.

When I first got it, It was always hard to start.
A few times it would not start at all, it just wore me out.

A year and a half ago, I took it to the guy i bought it from and asked him if he thought he could have his guys fix it so I could use it whenever I wanted to. They had already worked on it twice!

Well, now it runs fine and is a very good lightweight saw.
Good luck with yours, it should be a good saw for you.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I have two stills and that 170 is one of them.

When I first got it, It was always hard to start.
A few times it would not start at all, it just wore me out.

A year and a half ago, I took it to the guy i bought it from and asked him if he thought he could have his guys fix it so I could use it whenever I wanted to. They had already worked on it twice!

Well, now it runs fine and is a very good lightweight saw.
Good luck with yours, it should be a good saw for you.

That’s really strange. I’ve never had a Stihl that wasn’t easy to start. Huskies, sure, but I’ve never had a Stihl be anything but an easy starter.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I really like both my Stihl chainsaws and blower. All start quite easily. A pro MS 361 with 20inch bar, and a MS192t climbing saw that I use for cutting small stuff.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
My Stihl was a bitch to start until I got about 20 hours on it. Now it starts great

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Had a little McCulloch years ago. A one hander... boy was it the cat's meow cleaning out brush in a fence row.

Now for brush up to a couple inches or so I use my Milwaukee M18 Fuel Saws-all with a brush / pruning blade in it. Works fantastic. No gas, no oil, no starting to do. Blade usually last till I break it and they are 3 for ~10 bucks at Lowes. I have enough batteries to outlast me as well.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
A very timely topic. A large tree limb came down and knocked out our power for a few hours today and I was glad that my Husqvarna Rancher fired right up and made short work of it.

They're great to have when you need them but of all my tools, I think it's one of the ones I respect the most. There's little room for error when using them.

Posts: 7317 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I had a small engine mechanic tell me if a new saw,trimmer, mower wont start change the sparkplug. Even though its new, most times this will do the trick.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I love the MS170 I bought 3 years ago. Always starts and quite efficient. I put a 14" bar on it, to use the power better. It goes with me on the 4 wheeler when checking the trails and even cuts a good bit of firewood for each year.
Wish I could justify a second as a back up but I have 3 other saws that don't get used...

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My oldest Stihl is an 029 from 1993, runs great. I recently gave it a complete going over, new filters too. I do have a 10-12 y/o ms-360 for larger stuff.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have an old Stihl 041 made about 1978.
I put a 24" bar on it and it's my main tree felling saw.
It does a wonderful job of bucking the sections of a tree too.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39765 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've had an EFCO 16" for a few years...used it to clear off a cemetery plot that hadn't been attended to for 20-25 years. I cut and stacked over a 100 trees over a series of a few weeks. A right handy saw. My dad got it for me-he has a Jonsred (I think it's made in sweden or thereabouts). I sad that when we move I won't have any use for it anymore. (No trees in the suburb we are moving to.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I got a MS250 about 20 years ago and it's still running along. I have replaced the bar a couple of times and keep a dozen blades on hand. I fed it reguarl gas with Stihl's oil. Three pulls and off it goes. They make a nice product. You can't go wrong with them. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post