SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Puppy + Squeaker = Emergency Veterinarian
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puppy + Squeaker = Emergency Veterinarian Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Ouch. Noisemakers in pet toys are a problem everywhere. I think the term lawyers like to throw around is "attractive nuisance"?

OTOH, in the SE, we end up around $1,500 to 2K for the same type of care/surgery. Guess it's b/c in WA they're re-paving their pool area, where in MS we're getting new tires for the double wide. Big Grin

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CT Dakota
posted Hide Post
My Malamute used to do the same thing. Luckily he never swallowed one.
Hope he heals up ok.

Posts: 1162 | Location: SW Florida,USA | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Keep him away from really big diamonds....

Look in the dog, Tony.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Good vibes for continued recovery.

Vet didn't think he would pass the squeaker?

About 7 years ago when my American Pit Bull Terrier was around 6 months old, he chewed up and ate half a shower shoe (got a pic in archives somewhere). Threw up much of it but out of concern, took him to the vet and x-rays showed some of it still in there throughout the digestive system.

Vet worked with him to induce more vomiting and gave a whole bunch of enemas over about 24 hours. The vets efforts worked and Mason passed the obstructions. Vet really didn't want to operate on such a young pup and was just as relieved as I was that surgery ultimately wasn't necessary. Vet said if he hadn't passed the obstruction when he did, he was going to HAVE to operate.

I'm surprised the vet wouldn't prefer to let it pass, myself. My Dad practiced Veterinary medicine for 57 years, and the list of things he's seen a dog pass is amazing.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Look in the dog, Tony.

"Dag" Big Grin

That sucks big time, glad he'll be OK. We took in a cat left in a box on the Church steps and had to pay $700 to fix a jacked up tooth, thought that was bad enough!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope all goes well with recovery.

Our 6 year old lab would eat socks and underwear - passing all of them. Last year, she ate a tampon and it did it's job. $2850 and an overnight stay and she's fine. However, the trash cans in the bathrooms are facing the wall and she can't pry open the lid now.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Good vibes for continued recovery.

Vet didn't think he would pass the squeaker?

About 7 years ago when my American Pit Bull Terrier was around 6 months old, he chewed up and ate half a shower shoe (got a pic in archives somewhere). Threw up much of it but out of concern, took him to the vet and x-rays showed some of it still in there throughout the digestive system.

Vet worked with him to induce more vomiting and gave a whole bunch of enemas over about 24 hours. The vets efforts worked and Mason passed the obstructions. Vet really didn't want to operate on such a young pup and was just as relieved as I was that surgery ultimately wasn't necessary. Vet said if he hadn't passed the obstruction when he did, he was going to HAVE to operate.

I'm surprised the vet wouldn't prefer to let it pass, myself. My Dad practiced Veterinary medicine for 57 years, and the list of things he's seen a dog pass is amazing.

Not trying to be a weisenheimer here, but I suspect he wasn't as prone to litigious clients as vets today are. Wink

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Dog and cat toys should be made of digestible materials. Hell, there are even "plastics" that will compost.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
i didn't think this was a problem.

My mini poodle would always for the squeaker. She would get at the toy until she got hold of the squeaker. Then it won't squeak anymore. I never thought she would eat it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:

Not trying to be a weisenheimer here, but I suspect he wasn't as prone to litigious clients as vets today are. Wink

As I understand it, pets are treated as property in a legal sense. Damages are therefore very limited.

What I am getting at is his recommendations were based on what's in the best interest of the pets and owners and his 50 plus years of experience, not in the best interest of his bank account.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

As I understand it, pets are treated as property in a legal sense. Damages are therefore very limited.

What I am getting at is his recommendations were based on what's in the best interest of the pets and owners and his 50 plus years of experience, not in the best interest of his bank account.

Many vets, myself included, would take offense at the suggestion that my recommendation is solely for "the best interest" of my (our/their/his) bank account. I'm sure you really didn't mean that like it reads, right?

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many vets, myself included, would take offense at the suggestion that my recommendation is solely for "the best interest" of my (our/their/his) bank account. I'm sure you really didn't mean that like it reads, right?

I am in no way slighting the profession, it is, I believe, an extraordinarily noble profession. Human nature is, however, human nature. Surely you are not so naive as to believe that vets by virtue of their choice of profession are somehow completely immune from such temptations? Temptations that become all to real when faced with the necessity of running a profitable business. It is because they are human, not because they are vets.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Look in the dog, Tony.

"Dag" Big Grin

That sucks big time, glad he'll be OK. We took in a cat left in a box on the Church steps and had to pay $700 to fix a jacked up tooth, thought that was bad enough!
Huh. I paid over $4000 to have a broken leg fixed on a little feral cat that comes to my back yard to eat. (She's a sweetie, though, and lets me pet her.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am in no way slighting the profession, it is, I believe, an extraordinarily noble profession. Human nature is, however, human nature. Surely you are not so naive as to believe that vets by virtue of their choice of profession are somehow completely immune from such temptations? Temptations that become all to real when faced with the necessity of running a profitable business. It is because they are human, not because they are vets.

Ok, point well taken.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers