SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand.
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand. Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I did not think this would have a happy ending either. It sounded crazy a few days ago.

from Amanda Hodge:

three Thai Navy SEALs and an army medic stayed with the boys from when they were first discovered on July 2 until they safely left the cave.

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha confirmed the boys were given anti-anxiety drugs to calm their nerves before they began their dives. Adelaide anaesthetist and cave expert Richard Harris was also with the boys each day of the rescue, giving each of them medical clearance before their dive and leaving the cave only when the last boy had been rescued each day.

The boys — the youngest just 11 years old, the oldest 16 — had to scuba-dive 1.7km each through the winding, narrow jaws of pitch-dark canyons lined with sharp stalactites and stalagmites, and then squeeze through a U-shaped crack little more than the height of a school ruler to reach the navy SEALs command centre in the third chamber, 1500m from the cave mouth.

The unthinkable notion of asking 12 children to negotiate such a life-threatening passage was best articulated by one of the dozens of international divers who has volunteered in the massive and inspiring effort to rescue the boys. Danish diver Ivan Karadzic told the BBC yesterday the children were being “forced to do something that no kid has ever done before”. “It’s not in any way normal for kids to do cave-diving at age 11. They’re diving in something considered an extremely hazardous environment with no training, in zero visibility. The only light that’s there is the torch light we bring ourselves.”

But cave-dive they did, emerging one by one from the Tham Luang cave that millions had feared could be their tomb, their eyes shielded in gauze to protect them but otherwise in astounding condition given their ordeal.

Health officials said earlier yesterday that the first eight boys rescued had initially suffered mild ailments ranging from coughs, fever, low heart rate and scratches. Two of the boys were showing early signs of mild pneumonia but were now being treated with antibiotics. Tests had also confirmed that many of the boys had high white-blood-cell counts, indicating they may have picked up ­infections. They have been quarantined at Chiang Rai hospital for at least 48 hours each while they await results of thorough medical assessments, but by last night the first eight were expected to have seen their desperate families through the plate-glass window of a hospital isolation room, and heard their voices for the first time through a phone hook-up.

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, the kids weren’t cave diving, any more than the kids who flew airplanes years ago were in truth and in fact pilots in command of the aircraft.

They were under the care and instruction and constant guidance of the best experts available. This is not to say the risk was nonexistent by any means, but it is a far cry from a group of kids getting some gear and having a go at it with little to no experience.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hero's are ordinary people doing extra ordinary things.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
No doubt they picked up something considering what they had available to them to stay hydrated.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
This had an outcome way better than I, among many, had thought...but please never forget the name of the Thai SEAL that, as a volunteer, gave his life to make this outcome so wonderful...

Sgt. Saman Kunan...

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ve-rescue/762526002/

May God grant peace and comfort to his family...and remember this...

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends"...

This is a universal truth...that transcends religions, beliefs and cultures.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again Para nailed it.

http://www.foxnews.com/enterta...ve-on-scene.amp.html

A movie about the 18-day daring rescue of 12 boys and their soccer coach from a cave in northern Thailand is already in the works.

Producers from the faith-based production company Pure Flix told Fox News they arrived in Thailand to witness the rescue effort.

A rep for Pure Flix told us that founding partner Michael Scott and producer Adam Smith are merely "on the ground witnessing what is happening and discussing elements... in a respectful manner" and are not filming at this time.

Scott has a special connection to the case as his wife, who grew up in Thailand, was friends with the former Thai navy SEAL that died as part of the rescue efforts.

"This just kind of fits our DNA in terms of a really inspirational story," Scott told AAP, according to News.com.au. He added that the movie will center around the two British divers who stumbled across the trapped soccer team after days of searching.

"It's got incredible heart, incredible acts of heroism and bravery. It’s just an incredible thing and we think it will inspire millions around the world," he said. "I see this as a major Hollywood film with A-list [stars]."

The plight of the boys and their coach has riveted Thailand and much of the world — from the heart-sinking news that they were missing to the first flickering video of the huddle of anxious yet smiling boys when they were found 10 days later by a pair of British divers. They were trapped in the cave that became flooded by monsoon rains while they were exploring it after a soccer practice on June 23.

All 12 boys and their soccer coach were eventually rescued from the flooded cave. The SEALs, who were central to the rescue effort, said on their Facebook page that the remaining four boys and their 25-year-old coach were all brought out safely Tuesday.

Posts: 103 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

Hollywood could not have written a better final scene.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My wife has come across some video on Faceplant, sith French narration, from Ko Aung Min with Laylin Oo, which seem to be of the cave rescue.

I have no idea how to get links or references. Maybe some of the computer geniuses or Faceplanters can figure something out.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
My wife has come across some video on Faceplant, sith French narration, from Ko Aung Min with Laylin Oo, which seem to be of the cave rescue.

I have no idea how to get links or references. Maybe some of the computer geniuses or Faceplanters can figure something out.

If it's the one I've seen posted on facebook it's not the Thailand rescue. It keeps getting posted and credited as the Thailand rescue but it's not.

Was the "victim" brought out via sled in clear waters? If so that's not the Thailand rescue. They didn't use sleds and the water was not clear in the Thailand rescue.

If it's a different video let me know and I will search it down.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
please never forget the name of the Thai SEAL that, as a volunteer, gave his life to make this outcome so wonderful...

Sgt. Saman Kunan...

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ve-rescue/762526002/

May God grant peace and comfort to his family...and remember this...

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends"...

This is a universal truth...that transcends religions, beliefs and cultures.
Amen

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

If it's the one I've seen posted on facebook it's not the Thailand rescue. It keeps getting posted and credited as the Thailand rescue but it's not.

Was the "victim" brought out via sled in clear waters? If so that's not the Thailand rescue. They didn't use sleds and the water was not clear in the Thailand rescue.

If it's a different video let me know and I will search it down.

I think it is not the Thai rescue then, as there is clear water, and if not a sled, a stretcher type device.

Thanks.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
video from Thai Navy Seal Facebook

having problems copying link

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiS...BD/1639085082881551/

above is Thai Navy Seal Facebook page

scroll down till you see a video

starts w a diver kneeling down and clearing mask

looks like you need a Facebook account to log in

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
An Irishman sent scuba equipment to help in the rescue.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/...e-rescue-854151.html

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

tac

Interesting but, incomplete story. No trusting journalists to use the right terminology or, provide a clear picture, as there's no such thing as 'last generation regulator'. Press also likes to play-up a story...when there is no story. I'll have to ask around about this one.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

tac

Interesting but, incomplete story. No trusting journalists to use the right terminology or, provide a clear picture, as there's no such thing as 'last generation regulator'. Press also likes to play-up a story...when there is no story. I'll have to ask around about this one.

Agree article is confusing. Maybe they are talking about DIN vs yoke Big Grin or maybe they are still using "J" valves on their tanks.

Who knows but I have no idea what they are talking about expect he sent some gear. Good on him for that. Now the reporters need to write an article that makes sense.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So we can make fun of them 99% of the time, and idolize them 1% of the time? Confused

dare devil was not used as a pejorative here,

think: daring, bold, audacious, intrepid, fearless, madcap, dauntless; heedless, reckless, rash, impulsive, impetuous,

I wasn't making fun of them

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

tac

Agree article is confusing. Maybe they are talking about DIN vs yoke Big Grin or maybe they are still using "J" valves on their tanks.

Who knows but I have no idea what they are talking about expect he sent some gear. Good on him for that. Now the reporters need to write an article that makes sense.

I was just joking with a friend that somewhere in Thailand, there's a govt warehouse that has boxes of 'dive stuff' sent by people from all over the world wanting to help. Inside there's masks, snorkels and wetsuits with notes, earnest in there intentions, but only created more work for somebody else.

There might be a giant sale sometime in the future where Thai dive operators are bidding on the left-overs or, discarded items.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So what exactly happened with the Thai Navy guy who died? Was he not qualified to be down in those caves?

Even the most qualified divers are vulnerable in caves.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rTlmJeP2Cr0" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Don't confuse Dave Shaw's dive to anything done in Thailand. Shaw's dive was doomed from the beginning. He was using a military RB that was never designed for the depth he was taking it to, went solo when his buddy couldn't dive and was being a "showman".

Shaw was no "expert".

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terrible, just terrible

Thai cave rescue: Hero Australian doctor emerges from flooded tunnels to find out father died
quote:
The Australian doctor who was the last person to leave the cave in Thailand after the rescue of 12 boys and their football coach emerged from the darkness only to discover his own father had died while he was underground.

Dr Richard "Harry" Harris, an anesthetist as well as an experienced cave diver, played a key role in the successful international rescue effort that ended in joy and relief on Tuesday.

However, the 53-year-old hero found out shortly after leaving the flooded tunnels that his father had passed away while he was carrying out the rescue operation.

South Australian Ambulance said in a short statement that the doctor had suffered a "tumultuous week with highs and lows".

"It is with great sadness that I confirm that Harry’s dad passed away last night a short time after the successful rescue operation in Thailand," Dr Andrew Pearce, MedSTAR's director of clinical services, said.

"I have spoken with Harry. This is clearly a time of grief for the Harris family, magnified by the physical and emotional demands of being part of this week’s highly complex and ultimately successful rescue operation."

Dr Harris, who was among 19 Australian personnel involved in the operation, made the dangerous two-and-a-half mile journey in and out of Tham Luang cave every day to check on the health of the trapped boys.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
video from Thai Navy Seal Facebook

having problems copying link

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiS...BD/1639085082881551/

above is Thai Navy Seal Facebook page

scroll down till you see a video

starts w a diver kneeling down and clearing mask

looks like you need a Facebook account to log in

Thanks, S.

Lots of video there. Makes impressive even more so.