SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand.
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand. Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So what exactly happened with the Thai Navy guy who died? Was he not qualified to be down in those caves?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe he actually ran out of air during a dive. Others probably have the details.

We have an AWESOME God who was watching over these boys, the coach, and everyone involved...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So what exactly happened with the Thai Navy guy who died? Was he not qualified to be down in those caves?

Even the most qualified divers are vulnerable in caves.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Give it some time. The AARs will be fascinating and interesting.

As for Musk, the world is a better place to have fabulously wealthy folks, willing to put their money up to build and achieve big dreams that everyone can benefit. The founders of many airlines were like this...then the bankers came and took the life and soul out of air travel. Anyways, I can appreciate his attempt at helping out, however his posting on IG and now his traipsing through the cave complex just strikes me as somebody doing self-promotion. Thank you for your efforts in finding a solution but, why are you there?

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cheers to all involved!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44734385

The dive from the entrance to the soccer team was 6 hours (against the current)

The dive from the team to the entrance was 5 hours (with the current)

The diver that died had delivered oxygen.

"His job was to deliver oxygen. He did not have enough on his way back,"

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Amazing job to all those involve in this operation. They planned out and executed what is likely one of the most technical rescue we will ever see. Huge props to those divers that found and brought out those kids.

Nothing beats knowing what you are doing.

100% true. This worked out because people who have spent years and years honing their skill came together and worked together. The skill set and experience needed to pull this off is staggering.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Great job, rescue divers. I'm blown away.
Courage doesn't begin to cover it.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Great job, rescue divers. I'm blown away.
Courage doesn't begin to cover it.

+1
The entire corps of rescuers deserves accolades. I am in awe of what they accomplished.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
any one who cave dives is a dare devil , anyone who volunteers to cave dive on a mission to help others is a super hero who should never have to pay another meal tab , forever

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Great outcome! BZ to the cave divers and all rescuers!

We got a letter from an American missionary, a close friend (and fellow conservative) who lives with his wife in Chang Rai, about an hour from the cave. Sounds like this is a common place for people to hike and explore caves; the kids just had bad luck because of the heavy rains.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
any one who cave dives is a dare devil , anyone who volunteers to cave dive on a mission to help others is a super hero who should never have to pay another meal tab , forever

Well... in order to cave dive on a mission to help others you must first cave dive in order to practice.

So we can make fun of them 99% of the time, and idolize them 1% of the time? Confused

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing short of a miracle.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Nothing short of a miracle.
There was a LOT of praying going on....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'm going to admit I was preparing for the worst news out of this. I was not expecting them to survive. So glad I was wrong.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Yes, many prayers were answered from all over the world. I hope that all the kids recover quickly, and condolences to the family of the lost Thai SEAL.

quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
....Sounds like this is a common place for people to hike and explore caves; the kids just had bad luck because of the heavy rains.

The sign posted earlier warned of the risk starting in July. If they leave it accessible to the public, I'm sure the authorities will change that sign before next year. If it wasn't already July, I could see a big X spray painted through the July and JUNE spray painted over/under it.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I'm going to admit I was preparing for the worst news out of this. I was not expecting them to survive. So glad I was wrong.
Same here.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:

If they leave it accessible to the public

I'm thinking we are going hear very soon how the Thai government dynamited that thing shut.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd let the Thai SEALS close that damn thing up. Give them all the high explosives they wanted and say "have fun".

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
What a positive outcome. It's nice to see some news of people working together for once instead of the drek we usually hear about. I bet some of those kids go on to do things to help others when they're grown up.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post