SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Today I hear the monsoon season is in full force and they could be down there for 4 months ?! They were down for 11 days with no food and are malnourished and they need to get “healthy“ before they can try to dive out. The water that has filled up the cave is apparently very muddy and not easy to see through.

Digging a chimney hole from the top seems to be the easiest way out IMO.

Apparently it was a “thing” for young folks to go to the back of this cave (while dry) and write your name on the back wall. It started to rain while they were underground.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
The water that has filled up the cave is apparently very muddy and not easy to see through.

? You're in a cave under water- It's so Black you don't know which way is up.

I've got over 2000 hours underwater and the thought of these kids trying to scuba dive out of there brings me to tears.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I figure at least three movies will come out of this- a Thai production, an HBO/Showtme/whatever pay channel, and an American network made-for-TV movie, most likely broadcast on ABC.

I mean, it's perfect. Drama with a group of kids- brown kids. Leaders of the group will emerge and there will be the scared, timid kids portrayed as well. In the last third of each of these films, one of the timid kids will be scuba'd out, and this will be the tense set-piece of the entire film.

Ultimately, all will be rescued and the US-made movies will reach the entirely logical conclusion that White people are evil.

Posts: 107564 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ii have confidence they will be fine.

As a parent ,what kind of punishment would you administer , when these kids get home?

You can't really ground them , can you ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Ii have confidence they will be fine.

As a parent ,what kind of punishment would you administer , when these kids get home?

They were on a supervised outing. IDK if the parents were aware of the destination or if the coach made a poor choice, but I think this was a freak incident.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Hehe, ground them, he says.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Rescuers are beginning to pump oxygen into the chamber in Chiang Rai, northern Thailand, where the 12 boys and their coach have been trapped for 12 days.

A medical assessment has found that it is still too dangerous to try to move the youngsters, an unnamed source in the Thai Navy Seals told CNN.

Two boys and the 25-year-old coach are suffering with exhaustion through malnutrition, according to a new doctor's report.

It comes with rescuers facing a race against the weather to save the 12 children as it emerged volunteers accidentally pumped water back into the caves.

A former US Navy SEAL has warned of fatalities if the young Thai footballers have to dive their way out of the cave network.

Cade Courtley says such an attempt should be the last option for the trapped youngsters - because they have 'time on their hands'.

Courtley told CNN he had thousands of hours of experience operating in 'zero visibility' water as part of a special diving unit.

He questioned why the idea of diving the boys out was being considered when high powered pumps existed that were capable of draining a thousand gallons of water a minute.

He said: 'In my experience I would consider this stable and non life threatening which means we have the luxury of time - and with that time we are able to do a risk anaylsis on all of our options.

'I keep hearing the option of dive them out and I think that should be the very last option.'

The former US Navy SEAL added: 'I hate to say this but some of these kids are going to die in an effort to try and bring them out using dive equipment.'

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figure at least three movies will come out of this- a Thai production, an HBO/Showtme/whatever pay channel, and an American network made-for-TV movie, most likely broadcast on ABC.

I agree and nominate Samuel Jackson for a lead role. Other nominations??

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I guess Jonathan Ke Quan is too old to play one of the kids in the upcoming movie.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I agree and nominate Samuel Jackson for a lead role. Other nominations??

Nick Cage!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today I hear the monsoon season is in full force and they could be down there for 4 months ?! They were down for 11 days with no food and are malnourished and they need to get “healthy“ before they can try to dive out. The water that has filled up the cave is apparently very muddy and not easy to see through.

Apparently it was a “thing” for young folks to go to the back of this cave (while dry) and write your name on the back wall. It started to rain while they were underground.

I believe the issue with a chimney is they will be drilling thru pure rock. When they rescued the Chilean miners, I think it took them about 3 weeks to drill down to them. I would imagine they would want to get started drilling even if it is a secondary scenario.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ulsterman,

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
He questioned why the idea of diving the boys out was being considered when high powered pumps existed that were capable of draining a thousand gallons of water a minute.

I think the biggest question is can/will the area the boys are now in flood. Thousands of gallon a minute is a lot until mother nature decides to dump 10's of thousands or more a minute that all flow into that system.

There are some very talented British cave divers there with experience in cave rescue. These are the two that found the boys. I hope the Thailand officials listen to them.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the biggest question is can/will the area the boys are now in flood. Thousands of gallon a minute is a lot until mother nature decides to dump 10's of thousands or more a minute that all flow into that system.

That is the nightmare scenario I keep envisioning; along with the rescue workers who are bonding with these kids and would refuse to leave them....

Fucking shit situation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"For every inch of rain that falls on a catchment area of 1,000 square feet, you can expect to collect approximately 600 gallons of rainwater. Ten inches of rain falling on a 1,000 square foot catchment area will generate about 6,000 gallons of rainwater."

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

I believe the issue with a chimney is they will be drilling thru pure rock. When they rescued the Chilean miners, I think it took them about 3 weeks to drill down to them. I would imagine they would want to get started drilling even if it is a secondary scenario.

It goes well beyond just that. First they have to figure out where to drill, which isn't exactly easy. That cave is fairly deep below the ground and would be a small feat in itself just pinpointing it. And by that I mean digging precisely where you'll hit the cave at that depth.

Then there is of course the logistics of getting what is likely very heavy machinery to what I imagine is an area that is not exactly on the beaten path. You're talking about having to make a road just to get there through terrain that may be...err, rough.

Digging is not an option that will be accomplished in days or weeks. We're talking months I should think.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I mean, it's perfect. Drama with a group of kids- brown kids. Leaders of the group will emerge and there will be the scared, timid kids portrayed as well. In the last third of each of these films, one of the timid kids will be scuba'd out, and this will be the tense set-piece of the entire film.

Ultimately, all will be rescued and the US-made movies will reach the entirely logical conclusion that White people are evil.

And don't forget the global warming climate change angle.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

It goes well beyond just that. First they have to figure out where to drill, which isn't exactly easy. That cave is fairly deep below the ground and would be a small feat in itself just pinpointing it. And by that I mean digging precisely where you'll hit the cave at that depth.

Then there is of course the logistics of getting what is likely very heavy machinery to what I imagine is an area that is not exactly on the beaten path. You're talking about having to make a road just to get there through terrain that may be...err, rough.

Digging is not an option that will be accomplished in days or weeks. We're talking months I should think.

Very true. They are about as deep as the Chilean miners, maybe a little deeper. Hopefully, they will be able to work it out.

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Horrible news. Apparently a former Thai SEAL has perished, he was staging bottles for the rescue.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Horrible news. Apparently a former Thai SEAL has perished, he was staging bottles for the rescue.

Oh just damn it all...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/...-in-thai-cave-rescue

A navy Seal working to rescue boys trapped in cave in northern Thailand has died from lack of oxygen, Thai authorities say.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Ran out of oxygen and was found unconscious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.dfaf0ef3d4d6

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ