SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand. Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I just read the boys can't swim. They are teaching them to swim and dive.

I'm sure if they try to swim them out they will be tied to a line and pulled by rescue divers.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure if they try to swim them out they will be tied to a line and pulled by rescue divers.

Unfortunately it’s not that “easy”. There are tunnels and areas where they have to go one-at-a-time, and another area where it is so tight they literally have to pull of their tank, go thru with it, and then put it back on. Non factor for a pro diver, but kids?

Plus, if they get scared and begin hyperventilating on the respirators...no bueno.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I just read the boys can't swim. They are teaching them to swim and dive.

The main thing they will need to know is to not panic. There are sections that can only accommodate one person at a time. That will be scary as hell for kids not used to swimming or diving.

I wish them well.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a crazy idea, but can the tight, difficult passage area be blasted out safely? SEALs are awfully good at blowing shit up.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16346 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Unfortunately it’s not that “easy”. There are tunnels and areas where they have to go one-at-a-time, and another area where it is so tight they literally have to pull of their tank, go thru with it, and then put it back on. Non factor for a pro diver, but kids?

Plus, if they get scared and begin hyperventilating on the respirators...no bueno.

From what I have heard the kids will not be wearing traditional gear. They will be on a long hose connected to a tank worn by a member of a two-man team with would take the kids out one at a time.

If they use the full-face mask as they plan to those can be connected to comms and the team could talk the kid as they are moving through the cave system.

I still think it would be best to find another way out but it seems they do have a pretty well thought out plan. I don't think the kids really need to be able to swim. Staying calm and not panicking will be the most important thing for them. Easier said than done.

I've worked with kids learning SCUBA. Once you get their attention and can keep them focused they pick it up better than adults on average.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike Nelson would know what to do! I loved this show as a kid.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Maybe give each kid a mild tranquilizer beforehand?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Isn't there some type of oxygenated pod sort of thing that you could put a kid into and just tow him out?

Or, they could just bring in some camp stoves and a pallet of SPAM and wait it out.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that they are on a time crunch. With more rains coming the cave will soon be completely submerged. Talk about being motivated to learn a new skill! There life depends on it.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Isn't there some type of oxygenated pod sort of thing that you could put a kid into and just tow him out?

Or, they could just bring in some camp stoves and a pallet of SPAM and wait it out.

I think there are sections that are too narrow to swim thru with equipment on.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Even without more rain there's a question on survivability (CO2 buildup, for example).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16346 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a bit confused, how did they get so far back there??? We’re they able to walk back end then the flooding happened and trapped them???

Man what a nightmare, I can see how a panic attack could be a very real possibility while being towed through a cave in the dark.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I’m a bit confused, how did they get so far back there??? We’re they able to walk back end then the flooding happened and trapped them???

Man what a nightmare, I can see how a panic attack could be a very real possibility while being towed through a cave in the dark.

Yes, they walked in. Rain and flooding followed and they couldn't make it out.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I’ve wondered the same thing. Give them a sedative and they wake up in after they are through the hard parts. But, I’m beyond clueless on something like this.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
SIGForum member Southflorida-law as well as other members who dive could shed some light on the risks of cave diving, especially for neophyte kids already weak and fatigued from being trapped for days without food, support or light...my prayers and thoughts are with them and their rescuers for the best possible outcome...

Cave diving is a whole nuther animal from open water.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done a fair amount of diving, mainly around Monterey, CA and Mexico, I will NOT do cave diving.

Unless the passages are massive, there's just too much to go wrong and I don't see any fun in it. In many ways, space travel is easier than cave diving. Silt getting kicked-up or, having debris knocked-off from above and clouding up the water will easily induce all levels of anxiety and disorientation, which means you'll breath through your gas at a faster than normal rate. You need to bring at least twice the standard amount of gear: more rope, anchors, lights, batteries, markers, gas tanks, lots of gas tanks; back-ups for the back-ups. As you ascend, decompression stops will also take up a lot of time, which also means more tanks need to be brought along. Like an airline pilot you need to be process oriented, the people you dive with need to be the same, and there has to be an inherent belief in following protocols and procedures, there's no short-cuts; teamwork at the highest level. For the more narrow passages, your gear is set-up differently, it's either between your legs or, you're pulling-it through ergo, your kick motion is altered. Oh, and it's dark, cold and a possibility of a current tugging on you.

The two British divers who found the kids are well known in the dive community. They're like the characters Dansen and Highsmith from the movie The Other Guys. Very solid, very strong divers who like to tit-tit rescue operations, criticizing and picking-apart, getting themselves involved while providing their opinion on how they would have done things. All the best to the kids and everyone working on this rescue but, they've got some long odds. Confused

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I've done a fair amount of diving... I will NOT do cave diving.

Same.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Those poor kids. God help them.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it was one kid, not much of a problem, but 13, it could turn into a shit show real quick.

From what I have seen, some or most of the sumps are about "0" visibility which creates the greatest obstacle of getting these kids out. As the safety diver you cant keep a visual on the kid. Full face masks are good, except if they flood, then it would be a nightmarish situation on trying to get the kid back on a back up regulator.

Further, up to now, I have not seen anyone properly "cave rigged" for cave/sump diving in that area. And, at least for our SEALS, I know for a fact that are not trained in "overhead environment" diving. I have heard some cave divers are showing up.

Personally, I would not want to have someone do their first "cave dive" (or first of any scuba dive) in low/zero visibility, strong flow, restricted passages and on a long hose of their dive buddy. I have witnessed "experienced" divers freak out in those conditions.

If I was running this show, I would run electricity and data cords into the area (down a bore hole?), load them up on food and water, running daily trash runs and bring them out when the cave dries up. Unless someone with local knowledge knows that area also can flood in heavy rains. Then you don't have a choice.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
In technical diving, you always have a backup or two. Two is one and one is none.

My point is I hope the idea of "training" the kids to dive out is plan "B". I know it sucks being stuck down there but brings in food and supplies. I would continue to work on other plans and only use the diving them out if I thought the area they are in was going to fill with water.

I just can't imagine diving that number of kids out safely. Too many factors to go wrong in that environment.