SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand.
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand. Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
WORLD NEWSJULY 7, 2018 / 8:44 PM / UPDATED 22 MINUTES AGO

https://www.reuters.com/articl...minent-idUSKBN1JY00E

Thai rescuers evacuate cave area, rescue bid for trapped boys seen imminent

THAM LUANG CAVE, Thailand (Reuters) - Thai authorities on Sunday said they plan to evacuate an area around a cave in northern Thailand where a dozen boys and their soccer coach have been trapped so that a “rescue operation” can take place.

The announcement came as dark monsoon rainclouds loomed over the mountainous north of the country early on Sunday, potentially heightening risks at the cave where rescuers were still waging a “war with water and time” to save 12 trapped boys and their assistant coach.

“Assessing the situation now, it is necessary to evacuate the area for the rescue operation,” said Mae Sai police commander Komsan Sa-ardluan over a loudspeaker. “Those unrelated to the rescue operation, please evacuate the area immediately.”

Following a relatively dry spell, fresh torrential downpours could pose a setback to rescuers who have struggled to drain the Tham Luang cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai.

Weather.com forecast sustained thunderstorms lasting through Sunday and Monday, with further stormy weather expected for around the next two weeks.

Narongsak Osottanakorn, a former provincial governor leading the effort said the “ideal time” for a rescue could come in the next two or three days.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

prayers for all involved

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the plan is if the kids start freaking out as they’re swimming through the confined spaces...

Do they plan on medicating them? Maybe some Valium? If a kid starts losing it during this, disaster will happen. I wonder if they could sedate them if they freak out, endangering themselves and their dive buddy.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Authorities confirm that rescue operation is underway.

https://www.theaustralian.com....967c64a8d62392041f3a

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wow, hoping for the best.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Is the start of the rescue confirmed? I can't find any other confirmation.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16345 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

In addition to the link above:
Watch live: Thailand cave rescue underway

Thailand cave rescue underway

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

In addition to the link above:
Watch live: Thailand cave rescue underway

Thailand cave rescue underway

I see what you mean, but those articles are jumping the gun unfortunately. The only development is that the area has been cleared and non-essential media has been asked to leave. The actual rescue operation has not actually started yet. Shame on those news sites for deliberate fake news.

The next development may actually be an overdue news conference that should have started at 9am Thai time.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16345 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Fake news is everywhere.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The press con has started:

• Rescue op has not yet started.
  • They are waiting for conditions to be at "100%".
  • Half an hour ago 18 divers entered the cave. This was comprised of 5 Thai SEALs and 13 foreign divers. (There are 12 boys and their coach.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Just relax guys. Sure the operation is either underway or imminent.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The rescue operation officially began at 10am Thai. The earliest a boy will emerge is 9pm. The entire process could take 3-4 days as the boys come out one-by-one.

Thai cave rescue underway
Live Blog

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Many prayers needed that they all get out safely.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Fox news reporting the first four boys are beginning their trek out of the cave.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I visited and traveled through Thailand last year.I found the people there to be fantastic. They LOVE Americans and the USA.
I pray that this will go well, and for the Thai people.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many Prayers for the boys and the rescuers- They'll need it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Fox news is reporting the first 2 boys have emerged.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Fox news is reporting the first 2 boys have emerged.

Hopefully the knowledge that heir friends are safe will help them know they can make it.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Although I’ve neve4 been to Thailand I also found this to be the case. My dad was stationed in Thailand at Korat for 2ntours during Vietnam. He spoke fluent Thai, and loved the people

My first two years at West Point there was an exchange Thai cadet in my company. He was a great, funny dude

Their military is a do not fuck with us organization. They love their country. And they love ours

I too am monitoring hoping for a positive outcome

quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I visited and traveled through Thailand last year.I found the people there to be fantastic. They LOVE Americans and the USA.
I pray that this will go well, and for the Thai people.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
BBC reports two ambulances are seen leaving the cave. Believed to be taking two boys to the hospital.

13 ambulances have been standing by.