SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    OK, What is a panic attack?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, What is a panic attack? Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted
I hear this term all the time now. What is a panic attack? Have I ever had one? When I was a kid I often heard of people having a nervous breakdown. Is a panic attack the same thing?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Panic attack is a short run thing and mostly from a specific or several overwhelming stimuli.

Sort of like an episode of claustrophobic panic if you get "bound up or stuck" in a tight place. Or if you are afraid of heights and find yourself in a precarious place. (sometimes adrenalin dump, the impression is often impending doom, it can be due to real or the mind taking a running leap off the reasoning train).

Closing your eyes and breathing very slowly can calm a panic attack.

Nervous breakdown is typically an inability to cope with everyday life.

It takes some serious effort to get someone "re-centered", and closing eyes and breathing will do almost nothing.

It is usually accompanied with depression, the inability to do normal things, confused thinking, being overwhelmed and it does not seem to be a "rational reason" from people you know, and they are often confused at your dilemma.

They feel very different.

(there is a lot more to be said about both)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A surge of anxiety, basically. An brief-ish sense of overwhelming worry/panic/anxiety.

Like an increasing sense of OMG-ness that one can't control.

It's the very antithesis of being cool under pressure, but for the affected the "pressure" can range from life threatening to things most would shrug off like it's nothing.

It's like having a broken meter that helps determine how big of a deal something is/isn't.

The very term Panic Attack aids in the misunderstandings, as it seems to imply a chaotic panic-y or otherwise overtly obvious state of being, like someone running around freaking out, but most of the time it's not like that and is subtle, like they're OMG-WTFing internally.

Source: two ex-girlfriends and three friends who have dealt with it for many years.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I have panic attacks when I have to speak in public. It's a strange sensation and totally involuntary. I'm a loud mouth type guy, outgoing, social. People are shocked when I say I can't speak in public. As soon as there is a formal setting with any strangers and I have to speak it happens almost immediately. I'm talking, literally, I could be in a meeting at work with new people where they go around and introduce yourself. I get the attack right then.

So what it is for me is an overwhelming sensation of not being in control. It's fear but more than that. I literally feel like I'm not in the room, a head rush sort of feeling. I start speaking and immediately feel my voice shaking. My head feels sort of how I feel if I smoke weed (haven't done that in like 25 years but I remember what I didn't like about it).

Anyhow, it's caused by an adrenaline rush. I take Propanolol when I have to speak in public. It basically blocks adrenaline. Works almost completely. I'm still nervous as shit when I have to speak in public but I don't get the panic attack at all if I've taken my med before hand. No other side effects from it either.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Skeptical of severity some folks described. C’mon just man up and power through!

I’ve driven hundreds of thousands of miles over last 38 years. Then, out of freakin’ nowhere a couple months ago I learned the meaning of Gephyrophobics.

Came completely out of nowhere and the sensation was overwhelming. I WILL crush it, but have had concerns of passing out at 70 over water. Not cool.

So, panic attacks while poorly named are for real and not just crazy folks.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Skeptical of severity some folks described. C’mon just man up and power through!

I’ve driven hundreds of thousands of miles over last 38 years. Then, out of freakin’ nowhere a couple months ago I learned the meaning of Gephyrophobics.

Came completely out of nowhere and the sensation was overwhelming. I WILL crush it, but have had concerns of passing out at 70 over water. Not cool.

So, panic attacks while poorly named are for real and not just crazy folks.

Are you saying you were skeptical but not anymore since you suddenly had an issue? I had to look up gephyrophobic. I'm not afraid of bridges, but I do have the same panic reaction with heights that I have with public speaking. Only that really depends on the sense of security I have. On a ladder I have a panic attack. In a building looking out a window, on a plane, stairway with solid railing, no issues. But if I am driving over a high bridge I can feel a panic attack coming on, if I look left or right. I do stay in the middle lanes if possible and look straight ahead.

But I will say that what I described in my public speaking post is very accurate.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
As an ER doc, I have seen more than my fair share of panic attacks. Real ones generally involve a profound sense of impending doom - chest pains, difficulty breathing - real fight-or-flight stuffs. The cross-over to more simple anxiety reactions has increased over the years - concomitant with the increased acceptance of mental health problems as a disease (and not something people can deal with). Much the same as the acceptance of "emotional support animals". True panic attacks exist for people, and they are certainly very difficult and can be debilitating in certain situations. However, the label of "panic attack" has been muddled to include a lot of simple anxiety in my opinion, coupled with our society's desire not to deal with anything that is uncomfortable to us. I get anxious in front of an audience, at parties with people I don't know, and with heights - but as a young person developed control of my fear and anxiety to get the job done - and as a result, am now an emergency physician who deals with situations daily that cause others to go into mental vapor lock and not perform. It's not that I "thrive one stressful situations", but that I have consciously developed the skill to put my unconscious emotional self to the side to step in an act when it is required.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have them. Out of the blue. Not when you think I would have them. Somebody point a gun at me, no panic, healthy fear but my mind clicks and works.

Sitting at home by myself and get a wave of vertigo, I literally don’t know if I’m dying. Become almost paralytic with dread and doom.

I can’t fly now. I used to fly all over the country for my job. Now the thought of having an attack at 30,000 feet keeps me off planes.

I had to spend a night in the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack with my first one.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
 Well, that's great. That's just fuckin' great, man! Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now, man!

That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

Not to diminish those with real experience, nice. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Few years ago I was home alone. My wife was out of town for the week and I was just chilling on the couch watching TV with the dogs. Out of nowhere my heart rate spiked to around 200, my world greyed out, and I KNEW I was gone. I'm not saying I was afraid I was dying, I KNEW I was a dead man and my wife would come home to discover that my dogs had eaten me.

Then as suddenly as it hit, it passed. I puked. Puked again. Then I figured I might want to get that checked out.

After a month of tests the diagnosis basically came back as "Huh, no idea." Wasn't a heart attack. EKG and stress tests were normal. Best guess? Lack of sleep and the stress of some ongoing issues had contributed to my body deciding it would fire a warning shot across my bow.

I'll never give someone grief for a panic attack or whatever they call it.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I can even point to the place in city hall when I realized I was short of breath, pulsing pain down my left arm and dizzy etc. I powered through, it got worse. The nurse at my dr office called me back "were dispatching an ambulance ..." Google returned with "myocardialinfarction"(sp) none of this helped me feel better Smile
Later the ER Doc told me "good news is your not dying today, bad news is if you dont get control of your anxiety, it will kill you."
It was so frustrating, I could no longer trust my body. I came to think of it like an allergy but for stress.

I struggle with it to this day and I can even 'see' it coming and I can mostly head it off. But it was years before I reigned it in.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I can even point to the place in city hall when I realized I was short of breath, pulsing pain down my left arm and dizzy etc. I powered through, it got worse. The nurse at my dr office called me back "were dispatching an ambulance ..." Google returned with "myocardialinfarction"(sp) none of this helped me feel better Smile
Later the ER Doc told me "good news is your not dying today, bad news is if you dont get control of your anxiety, it will kill you."
It was so frustrating, I could no longer trust my body. I came to think of it like an allergy but for stress.

I struggle with it to this day and I can even 'see' it coming and I can mostly head it off. But it was years before I reigned it in.

That’s it! Mind losing control of the body for no reason at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I've always been a laid-back, roll with it kind of person. Nothing fazes me. Something bad happens. . .oh, well, nothing you can do about it now. Deal with it and try not to let it happen again.

But about a month ago--out of the blue--I had what I now know as a real panic attack. It was an intense fear that something bad was about to happen. I had no reason to feel this way. I kept telling myself this over and over. But the fear wouldn't go away. Increased heart rate, anxiety, the works. After a few hours it went away.

Next day, the same thing happened. And again, after a few hours it went away. I started analyzing what I was doing that might be causing this and realized the doctor had prescribed for me Nasacort to help with sinus infections. I had begun using this just a few days prior. I immediately stopped using the Nasacort and the panic attacks haven't occurred since.

Prior to this, I never knew what a panic attack was. I had heard about them, but never experienced one personally. But if people deal with these things on a regular basis, I honestly don't know how they function. I'm telling you, these things are real, and they are debilitating. I couldn't focus on my work. I was completely consumed with this unknown fear that I was convinced was imminent.

I'm sure what I experienced was mild compared to what I've heard others describe. But this experience has given me a better understanding of how bad mental illness can be.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has anxiety attacks and can feel them coming on. He’s cool as can be, level headed, rock solid guy, never backs down from a fight regardless the odds or anything. When he told me he suffered from anxiety I laughed. Would never have guessed. He said it’s like something in your brain shorts out and even though you can’t define the problem, everything is coming unglued and the world is going to shit and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Mine is much worse when I don't sleep.

I don't sleep well, or nearly enough. When I am especially sleep deprived I know the anxiety is going to be worse that day. I know the triggers now, so that helps, but sometimes there is no stopping it.

I'm sure my shitty sleep patterns will most likely kill me someday.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
+1 copaup

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Here's a panic attack on video, ( from an LEO's body cam as he experienced one )

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I experienced panic attacks during my divorce. My ex pulled a Rommel-style blitzkrieg on me. I lost my house, my step-kids, my daughter for at least a month, my dogs and almost lost my job. I was humiliated at work in front of my co-workers.

I would be working in an Intel chip factory and would not be able to take a full breath. My heart rate would soar. I'd get heart palpitations. I'd break out into a sweat. I'd get tunnel vision and would be in a fog. My blood pressure would skyrocket. It would take everything I had to function and not let it affect my job. I'd still work but I wasn't there mentally.

This went on for a year or two and I'm still alive. I was in such despair that I figured if I keeled over, I'd be glad I was out of my misery. I kept waking up every day though and that was 15 years ago that it happened.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
Here's a panic attack on video, ( from an LEO's body cam as he experienced one )

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LUrY38ZxEH0" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Dang, that was intense!

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
I have anxiety/panic attacks over needles.
Say I have to get blood drawn, I literally will not sleep for days before the appointment. The night before the appointment consists of vomiting and an upset stomach. And when it takes place, I'm like the kid in that video freaking out over a shot screaming. Then...I vomit again, and pass out. Happens every time.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post