SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How would you seal a sign?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would you seal a sign? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Large wood sign for a business. It needs to be water- and weather-proof, and UV-resistant as well.

I'm thinking a UV-resistant marine sealant, and a topcoat(s) of polyurethane.

How would you do it?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, thinking baseball, I thought it read "how would you steal a sign." No help on your question.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I’d look at using a spar varnish.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The problem with some of the polyurethanes, is over time they will yellow.

I paint barn quilts, and use a high grade exterior paint on them, never use a sealer. I have seen barn quilts sealed with clearcoat that discolor in the sun after a few months.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There are three surefire ways to waterproof your wood for years to come.

Use linseed or Tung oil to create a beautiful and protective hand-rubbed finish.
Seal the wood with coating of polyurethane, varnish, or lacquer.
Finish and waterproof wood simultaneously with a stain-sealant combo.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Funny, thinking baseball, I thought it read "how would you steal a sign." No help on your question.

Guess there are now two of us -- on both points.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
There are three surefire ways to waterproof your wood for years to come.

Use linseed or Tung oil to create a beautiful and protective hand-rubbed finish.
Seal the wood with coating of polyurethane, varnish, or lacquer.
Finish and waterproof wood simultaneously with a stain-sealant combo.

I think Bob Vila would agree. Wink

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
The problem with some of the polyurethanes, is over time they will yellow.

That would be a concern. How about a sealer, then a couple coats of tung oil?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
I’d look at using a spar varnish.

Is that the same as spar urethane? Does it yellow over time?

EDIT: read up on spar urethane and it might be what I need. No need for a sanding sealer either.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
be sure to seal the backside.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spar urethane, and yes, all sides.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's what I was thinking too.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
How about a sealer, then a couple coats of tung oil?

Sealing the wood first would prevent the wood from absorbing any of the oil.

100% Pure Tung Oil, properly applied and cured, will do just fine. Just understand that pure tung oil takes weeks to dry fully.

If you want a somewhat similar finish that won't take so long to cure, there's various flavors of "Tung Oil Finish" out there (which is varnish mixed with thinners and a bit of oil). These will dry in a day or so, not weeks. But it's not the same as using Pure Tung Oil.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in the marine industry and deal with this all of the time. Do not mix 2 different products.

Awlwood by awlgrip would be my first choice, Made by awlgrip. Can mix the primer and clear together, but need to use both products.

Sikkons cetyl marine clear would be my second choice. This is a true one part system, just use the clear and put on 3-4 coats, no need for primer etc.

Both are eurethane based. Both can be found from west marine.

Traditional captains varnish, nor tung oil last nearly as long.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you already have the sign or not but if you have not bought the wood for the sign yet I highly recommend getting a product that is made for freeway signs. I think it is HDF?? High density fiberboard. I may be not remembering that correctly but it is what the government uses for highway signs. I bought some to make two basketball backboards out of and it has remained perfectly flat and free of weather damage for years now. I just painted it with a high quality latex house paint for my use.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
quote:

Tinyman

Make that three of us. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Spar urethane will hold up to sunlight much better than standard polyurethane.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
quote:

Tinyman

Make that three of us. Big Grin

Me four. Thought this was an Astros Red Sox thread.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
Don't know if you already have the sign or not but if you have not bought the wood for the sign yet I highly recommend getting a product that is made for freeway signs. I think it is HDF?? High density fiberboard. I may be not remembering that correctly but it is what the government uses for highway signs. I bought some to make two basketball backboards out of and it has remained perfectly flat and free of weather damage for years now. I just painted it with a high quality latex house paint for my use.

Sign's already built. It's an indoor sign that will now go outside.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Spar urethane will hold up to sunlight much better than standard polyurethane.

That's what I'm reading. I think we'll go with spar u.

Thanks to all who responded.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."