SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    (another vehicle question) ... truck men - Chevrolet Colorado UPDATE - bought a Tacoma
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(another vehicle question) ... truck men - Chevrolet Colorado UPDATE - bought a Tacoma Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This thread is right up my alley!

First off, I just did this exact same thing, literally. I wanted a mid-sized pickup, and was trading my 2015 Toyota 4Runner. Naturally, went to look at Tacomas first. Wanted a stick shift crew cab TRD Sport, but that's like finding Jimmy Hoffa unless I wanted to drive 1,000 miles minimum. The old 4.0/5spd auto combo was rock solid, but that's all gone now.

My thoughts on the new Tacoma:

Drivers seating position sucked (I'm 6ft tall).

Rear seat in crew cab was extremely tight.

New powertrain combo blows according to reviews.

Interior/tech features weren't as good.

Considerably more expensive (yes they resell better).

I ended up with a new 2017 Colorado Z71 CCSB with a substantial discount, and am quite pleased. It's WAY faster than the Tacoma, which matters to me, Car and Driver got 14.8 @ 95 MPH out of a 4x4 Crew Cab with the new 3.6 and 8 speed auto. Mine has Bose and Nav, and I'm very pleased with both. I've put on black bow-ties, removed the emblems, tinted the windows, and removed the front air dam (easy). I'm getting 20-24 MPG on average, and on a recent trip towing my motorcycle trailer, motorcycle, and all related gear averaged 18.5 in the Smokey Mountains. I'll take that all day!

Also, the air dam really isn't that much of a problem, reference this video:

Skip to about 7:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLYFN3v2fj8&t=551s

Here's two pictures of my truck:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Afa05wMSd1yzisSF2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TCpIVIkir6fJJ07m1

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross

.....I think if you shop hard you could get a new 1/2Ton for around $35k. Obviously not with all the bells and whistles that drive the price stupidly to $50k. But still doable. I would be going there myself.

While this is an option, the thing is for many of us buying midsize pickup's a 1/2 ton's additional width and length are a big negative when it comes to everyday driving on narrow roads, tight parking places, and even getting them into garages. In other words the slightly smaller size is a big advantage. So it wouldn't make sense to spend the same or more for a larger, more cumbersome to drive truck.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross

.....I think if you shop hard you could get a new 1/2Ton for around $35k. Obviously not with all the bells and whistles that drive the price stupidly to $50k. But still doable. I would be going there myself.

While this is an option, the thing is for many of us buying midsize pickup's a 1/2 ton's additional width and length are a big negative when it comes to everyday driving on narrow roads, tight parking places, and even getting them into garages. In other words the slightly smaller size is a big advantage. So it wouldn't make sense to spend the same or more for a larger, more cumbersome to drive truck.

Another reason why I ended up with a Colorado. I have a 3 car garage, but with 3 individual doors, a full sized truck is a SUPER tight fit, and our parking spaces are work aren't all that big. I'm almost stripe to stripe with the Colorado as it is. True though, if I gave up the crew cab for an extended cab I could have gotten a Silverado Z71 for only about $1,500 more. From my research on Fuelly.com, the Silverado averages about 16 MPG with the 5.3, and the Colorado about 20 MPG with the 3.6. The 4 MPG/25% difference in fuel economy matters to me...

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another thing to note, with some manufacturers, to get the 0% financing, you give up rebates/incentives.
Do the math to see which gives the real better deal in the long run.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So a 1/2 ton pick up is too big? My oh my. Times have indeed changed in some places. Roll Eyes

In a pickup give me a full size all day, everyday. And even a 1/2 ton is barely a full size. But I don't use one for bicycles or groceries.

Cumbersome to drive? not for me.

I am also not overly concerned about a few mpg in a pickup.

I have a family member with a 2016 crew tacoma. Fairly useless as a pickup imho. And not all that comfy to drive or ride in either.

But I suspect I use a pickup differently than some of you folks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I drive a full size pickup and a Suburban on two track ranch roads nearly every day, so I'm kinda mystified about this "too big" issue. I guess if you have to park in a lot that was striped for Prius type vehicles it's a problem, though. Evidently the nitwit who specified the parking space size at the new Jerkwater Post Office was laboring under the misapprehension that we all drive subcompacts out here. Nobody even tries to park within the lines.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So a 1/2 ton pick up is too big? My oh my. Times have indeed changed in some places. Roll Eyes

If I didn't work in the city and spend a large portion of my time in urban areas, a full sized would be cool. I'm a huge fan of a new Ram Power Wagon! I'm not a fan of the 50-60k price tag or the 12 MPG, but it's simply a waste for me. I'll never need to tow more than 5-7K, and I have a 4 seat Kawasaki Teryx for real off roading. I just like a nice driver I can park, get shit from Costco, get decent MPG, etc. But keep in mind I also generally put some serious miles on my vehicles, so that's a factor. My 2 year old 4Runner I traded had 40k on it.

IDPA ESP SS

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I understand JD and respect that.
I suspect if you towed 5-7k regularly with your rig very far it would die a premature death though Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect if you towed 5-7k regularly with your rig very far it would die a premature death though Wink

Totally agree. My main load I've towed with my Subaru Forester countless times, the Colorado just does it easier. I also wanted to be able to pull a 21ft boat (potiental future purchase) or a car maybe once a year. Well within this vehicles scope.

IDPA ESP SS

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:

the diesel is rated for 7500+

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Another thing to note, with some manufacturers, to get the 0% financing, you give up rebates/incentives.
Do the math to see which gives the real better deal in the long run.

I found this to be true in this case. Rebates or 0% financing.

The dealer also had about $2,600 worth of dealer add-ons and a $650 doc fee to add in there. So the on-line price was pretty bogus.

Still looking.

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
a diesel is a different deal. But even so, the physical size of something that weighs 5-7k lbs typically is going to be a heck of a load for a small pickup, if even rated at 7500lbs towed regularly. It would take a toll on that little pick up.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Any concerns / comments?
Two actually. One, the back seat is unusable for any amount of time for anyone over six feet tall. And two, its a GM product.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I REALLY like mine!

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since Tacomas have been mentioned...

All I know is that when it's time to replace my truck, my 2007 Tacoma has gone 10 years with nothing more than routine maintenance and one bad U-joint. And it's worth about 13k from a purchase price of 23.5k. My S-10 had a laundry list of problems in 9 years and nowhere near that resale value.

Won't be getting another Chevy, that's for sure.

Posts: 2123 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
If my choice were the Colorado and a Tacoma it would be Tacoma every time just based on reliability and value alone.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:

In a pickup give me a full size all day, everyday. And even a 1/2 ton is barely a full size. But I don't use one for bicycles or groceries.

I have a family member with a 2016 crew tacoma. Fairly useless as a pickup imho. And not all that comfy to drive or ride in either.

An opinion from someone who uses his truck like a truck. And he's right.
I am also a Colorado owner, for reasons beyond my control at the time (divorce). I've owned full size GMCs and Chevy 1/2 and 3/4 tons all my adult life until 2008. This Colorado is useless to me other than transportation. Need 4X8 sheets of plywood or drywall? Don't send me. On occasion I go pick up fellow motorcyclists who broke down. A Softail HD put a dip in my tailgate because the whole bike wouldn't fit in the bed. Even a half yard of dirt strains this so-called truck. I almost want to wear a bag over my head driving this thing.
I'm seriously looking at a '92 C1500 with a blowed engine. I can do the work, will have a real truck and will realize my fantasy of ridding myself of this clown truck.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
quote:

An opinion from someone who uses his truck like a truck. And he's right.
I am also a Colorado owner, for reasons beyond my control at the time (divorce). I've owned full size GMCs and Chevy 1/2 and 3/4 tons all my adult life until 2008. This Colorado is useless to me other than transportation. Need 4X8 sheets of plywood or drywall? Don't send me. On occasion I go pick up fellow motorcyclists who broke down. A Softail HD put a dip in my tailgate because the whole bike wouldn't fit in the bed. Even a half yard of dirt strains this so-called truck. I almost want to wear a bag over my head driving this thing.
I'm seriously looking at a '92 C1500 with a blowed engine. I can do the work, will have a real truck and will realize my fantasy of ridding myself of this clown truck.

2008 would be the previous gen truck wouldn't it?

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Previous generation.
My father has a 2016 GMC Canyon he likes. Good mileage, comfortable ride. He's also retired, doesn't haul anything heavier than mulch and has never owned or towed a tailer to my knowledge. YMMV.
I have never owned anything that wasn't wearing a bowtie. I need a new daily and can't stomach a $40k 1/2 ton, so I am looking at Tacoma's. Admittedly, this is only because of their reputation for reliability and the fact I can still get a manual trans. I do wish the mileage was better though.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just moved up to a 2017 Silverado Crew-Cab, some things I didn't care for with the older truck.

Some very good incentives and rebates now on 2017 models.

FYI, the 5.3 liter V-8 gets about 20 MPG with gentle driving, on average.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post