SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    (another vehicle question) ... truck men - Chevrolet Colorado UPDATE - bought a Tacoma
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(another vehicle question) ... truck men - Chevrolet Colorado UPDATE - bought a Tacoma Login/Join 
posted
Update:

Bought a 2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 0% financing sealed the deal. Nice but not TOO nice if you know what I mean.

Looked hard at the 4Runner also.

Looks pretty much like this:

https://www.cars.com/vehiclede.../712838526/overview/

Toyota has a few recalls so we'll see. But generally the reliability IMO has been solid.

------------------------------------------

2017 Crew cab, 6 cyl, 4WD, Z71 package around $30K.

Any concerns / comments?

I think they are better looking than the current Toyota. The re-sale on the Toyota would be much higher but I keep vehicles a long time so that doesn't matter as much.

-----------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 concerns for me:

- lack of manual transmission offered
- front fascia hangs too low to be on even a moderate trail.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Co-worker has a 2016 v6 2WD Crew cab. IIRC, he has somewhere around 45k on his & it's been problem free.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke to a fella at the gas station about his,
he said that he is very very happy with his , even though he had to go back to the dealer twice about an issue he was having, but the warranty covered it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing a total of $2750 in rebates or 0% for up to 72 months. If you are a Costco member, military or an educator there are additional incentives. If you are a business owner there are some rebates for that as well.

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I looked at them, and didn't like the way the new models looked from the side with smaller back glass. Thought the earlier models were best looking trucks on the road. Also didn't like the smaller V6 (since I drive on the beach), so went with the Frontier w/4.0 V6, have been very pleased. Get 22+ on road trips.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainmaker5505
posted Hide Post
Unless they changed the engines, GM has had major issues with the timing chains and variable valve timing in the Colorado/Canyon, as well as many of their other engines. I've had quite a few of them come through my shop. I buy Toyotas, couldn't get me to touch anything GM with a stick.

"America could use some turpentine, all the way from Hollywierd to New York City." -- Phil Robertson

Posts: 464 | Location: Oxford, PA | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
81K on my 2016 in the last 13 months.No problems. Close to 24mpg.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I like the new Colorados. Front clearance, it it's a problem for you, can be improved by removing the chin spoiler, at the cost of some mpg.

My concern could be that for 2018 it got a different new 3.6 motor used in some Cadillacs along with a new 8-speed transmission to replace the 6-speed. If the new drivetrain is better, which GM claims it to be, I'd prefer to pay more for a brand new 2018 for the advantages it offers along with better future resale. I'm not sure how much more though? Depending on mileage on the 2017 I think I'd pay an extra 7-8,000 for a brand new 18.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure there’s a member here who ordered a Colorado earlier this year. Forget who, but maybe he’ll chime in.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking off road, you would have a much more capable truck with the ZR2 instead of the Z71. That being said, I have a Toyota Tacoma that is 10 years old and is pushing 170,000 miles. It still drives as tight as the day I bought it new back in 2007. With ethanol free gas, I still avg. 22 MPG on the freeway/highway. The TRD Off Road would be the Z71 and the TRD Pro would be the ZR2. The Colorado does have a Duramax option. As of now, Toyota still does not offer a diesel option. I’m not a big fan of the new Toyota engine as it is a little underpowered. However, my experience with GM vs. Toyota is such that I would most likely buy the Toyota even though I like the Duramax option on the Chevrolet/GMC.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my Colorado for 3 months and I bought the Duramax version. I love this truck. It has power when needed, tows like a dream and looks great. Even my wife likes it.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've got the V6 Canyon, I love it.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

The truck is a new 2017 with the NA v6.

I studied the specs last night as was suggested comparing the 4wd Z71 and the 4wd TRD Off Road as comps.

The GM has heated seats, the Taco does not
The Taco has the better front clearance as mentioned
The GM does not have a CD player not sure about the Taco
The GM has remote start / the Taco does not
The 6 cyl engines are very similar in specs
The Toyota would have the historically better re-sale value but looks to be about $5-6K higher out the gate
Have had my current truck since 2007 so the re-sale is not as big a factor
Obviously some subjectives like 'the look' comes into play...
GM is offering 0% financing ... not sure yet if this model qualifies.

Not really an off-roader - but I like to keep one heavier duty vehicle in the household.

------------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Thanks for the replies.

The truck is a new 2017 with the NA v6.

I studied the specs last night as was suggested comparing the 4wd Z71 and the 4wd TRD Off Road as comps.

The GM has heated seats, the Taco does not
The Taco has the better front clearance as mentioned
The GM does not have a CD player not sure about the Taco
The GM has remote start / the Taco does not
The 6 cyl engines are very similar in specs
The Toyota would have the historically better re-sale value but looks to be about $5-6K higher out the gate
Have had my current truck since 2007 so the re-sale is not as big a factor
Obviously some subjectives like 'the look' comes into play...
GM is offering 0% financing ... not sure yet if this model qualifies.

Not really an off-roader - but I like to keep one heavier duty vehicle in the household.

------------------------------------

The regular Taco Off-Road version (not the over priced TRD) does have heated seats and CD Player. That's what I have (2017 model). Love it!

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT 4x4 in May with 14,000 miles for $31,000. Seems like a full-size truck is lot more truck for the money.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I had assumed it was a used trade in. Brand new 2017 crew Z71 for $30k seems like a great deal!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this:

https://www.cars.com/vehiclede.../709161361/overview/

several at this price

sale on 2017s I suppose ... almost $10k off sticker.

-------------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
this:

https://www.cars.com/vehiclede.../709161361/overview/

several at this price

sale on 2017s I suppose ... almost $10k off sticker.

-------------------------------

Likely because of the 2018 changes as mentioned above.

That's still a great deal for a great little truck. I would go for it.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I know next to nothing about the Colorado. My feeling is Chevy has been milking this project along for years. Finally has it moving in the right direction.

My gut is that it and the Tacoma are not really in the same league yet. I do not care where Toyota and the market has taken taken the Tacoma ($40k+). Plus I am just not a real fan of the current Tacoma.

I think if you shop hard you could get a new 1/2Ton for around $35k. Obviously not with all the bells and whistles that drive the price stupidly to $50k. But still doable. I would be going there myself.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post