SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reason #347 I’d like to live in Texas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reason #347 I’d like to live in Texas Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
I emailed a Dallas-based client from work that I’ve been working with for several months (software implementation) on Friday to remind him that we’re closed Monday, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

He replied last night and said “you know what, I’ll probably take a PTO day or ‘work from home’ on Monday ... ya know, to observe Presidents Day.”

Man, what a great response. It was completely unnecessary, and probably would have made 99% of my co-worker’s heads explode, but it really hit home.

I would *never* hear something like that said at the company I work for.

In fact, I’m positive that several of our business leaders are pissed that we have Monday off, for such holiday (now Roll Eyes).

So for now, I’ll just pretend I’m in a red state. And that I interact with like-minded individuals.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Too many holidays I could do without, and President's Day is one. MLK Day is another.

The only holidays worth observing, imo, are: Christmas, New Year, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, and Thanksgiving.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh c'mon! Not Earth Day?!?!?!? Roll Eyes Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Too many holidays I could do without, and President's Day is one. MLK Day is another.

The only holidays worth observing, imo, are: Christmas, New Year, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, and Thanksgiving.

Agree 100%. Just too many days to be able to legally take off work and get paid for it.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Only job I ever had that gave me off on Presidents Day was when I taught high school. Same goes for MLK Day.

I always grouped those holidays in the silly bullshit holiday list along with Arbor Day.

How exactly do you observe President’s Day anyway?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

I just look out the window, and there it is! Big Grin

Schools in Maine take the whole week off as "Winter Break".

The fact that it coincides with the state-wide high school basketball tournaments is entirely coincidental, I'm sure. Roll Eyes

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
So many holidays. I hadn't heard of Juneteenth until I saw it on my iPhone calendar app. I had to Google it to learn what to celebrate.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe it’s traditional to buy a mattress to express your support.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Y’all are forgetting Columbus Day (aka Indigenous Peoples Day).

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:

Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you want a few more holidays, check out Hawaii. They have a few more based on their past rulers.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I changed jobs a few months ago and at the old job we had been getting Presidents Day and MLK Day as holidays as long as I could remember. The old company was NYC based.

The new job is based in Houston and does not give either day as a holiday but we do get Good Friday as well as the week between Christmas and New Years.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I imagine he’ll be taking March 2 off, too.

Real Texans know what that is.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Haha, looks like I need to go buy a mattress then.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A used car is also perfectly acceptable around here, may just be a regional thing though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

A used car is also perfectly acceptable around here, may just be a regional thing though.

Good grief.....what’s the markup on mattresses anyway? Between mattresses, hearing aids and cars, there is nothing else in the newspapers.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Yep, me too. Combining two Texas holidays in fact, Texas Independence Day and First Monday Trade Days in Canton (or so my wife tells me).

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yep, me too. Combining two Texas holidays in fact, Texas Independence Day and First Monday Trade Days in Canton (or so my wife tells me).

Mere coincidence, except that March 2 isn’t on Monday this year.

There are two reasons to celebrate March 2 in Texas no matter what day of the week it falls on. One, of course, is Texas Independence Day. The other is Sam Houston’s birthday!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mere coincidence.

There are two reasons to celebrate March 2 in Texas. One, of course, is Texas Independence Day. The other is Sam Houston’s birthday!

Hot Damn. Good for me. I'm not Texan, but I was going to guess Sam Houston's birthday.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget San Jacinto Day!

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post