SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Puerto Rico has voted to become the 51st State
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puerto Rico has voted to become the 51st State Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Puerto Rico is a gold digging woman, looking for a sugar daddy......

Covers it nicely!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I work with quite a few guys from PR. Basically the guys in power right now want statehood and the major opposition party wants to stay a commonwealth. The commonwealth party got all their people to boycott the vote, that's the word from their families back home. They say the vote has always been close but commonwealth has always won in the past and probably would have again if they would have had their people vote.

I'm in agreement that right now congress would not let them become a state, too much debt and would just be adding more dems to congress so not going to happen. They need to stay a commonwealth, it's better for everyone all around.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they seem to of done this before, it never goes beyond the vote.

Congress isn't interested in adding them as the 51st. Let's find some better place to add as the next State, maybe New Zealand?

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We'll take Puerto Rico if we can get rid of California.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
At least it would have lots fewer Democrat Electoral votes.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
At least it would have lots fewer Democrat Electoral votes.

flashguy

Yeah, how many EC votes will it have? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
So PR Gov Rossello is naming a congressional delegation (2 senators and 5 members of congress)

former Gov Barceló
Pedro Rosello Gonzalez (Rosello's father)
PR Democrat Party President Gonzalez
former baseball player Ivan Torres
3 others to be named

"It's unlikely the delegation will be seated as full members, but they'll provide a badly needed lobbying force in Washington for the island's government."

damn unlikely

Rosselló said the presence of seven high-level representatives would bolster the island's presence in Washington, although their ultimate goal is to be seated in Congress.

Supporters of statehood for Puerto Rico say its territorial status makes it nearly impossible for the island's economy to become self-sustaining.

or maybe a really bad sense of fiscal responsibility

http://thehill.com/latino/3405...lders-over-statehood

Posts: 19506 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I vote NO

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Trump should invite them to the White House, hold a ceremony....and hand them one way tickets back to Puerto Rico.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Funny story. Had my wife's windshield replaced last week after a rock chip cracked it. Chatting with the installer, he mentioned he'd come here six years ago from Puerto Rico. His English was pretty darn good, so I asked for his opinion on Puerto Rico becoming a US state. His exact response..."You gotta be kiddin' man. They broke as hell. You don't want none of that." Yep, that about sums it up perfectly. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
$72 billion in debt but they can afford to house 7 people in DC for however long. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe we could just swap California for Puerto Rico or would that be like ordering flapjacks when you wanted pancakes?

Posts: 203 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PR separatists once tried to kill Harry Truman. And damn near succeeded.
We should have cut them loose then.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I am half Puerto Rican. When my grandfather was alive, I loved going to visit PR. I went every year to visit him. Never spent time in San Juan. Flight landed there and then had a 2-3 hour drive to the boonies where he lived. I loved it. The few times I spent in San Juan were just ok but I never did the tourist thing. As far as them becoming a state, um probably not a good idea. The US was never good enough for them and now, due to poor leadership and debt, they want in? I would say we have enough anchors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post