SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wait, Where Did All the Rental Cars Go?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wait, Where Did All the Rental Cars Go? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Last year in Fort Myers , 4000 rental cars caught on fire (yes, four THOUSAND) in a huge rental car parking lot. I bet that didn’t help. $100 million dollar loss to the rental car companies.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^True story.

You think it’s bad now, just think how this will work when we all have electric cars for our 90% needs and we try to rent a car for the other 10%.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rental car companies sold most of their inventory in 2020 after COVID hit. The auto manufacturers also are way behind because of compenent shortages to build new cars. Normally the rental car companies bought oddball cars the dealers didn't want (overflow), well the auto manufacturers can't keep up with what they're dealers need, so the rental car companies can't get any product.

I do a lot of one way yacht deliveries around the U.S. the past 6 months and have had THE worst time getting a rental car. Most of the time impossible to get one. One I had to hire a car service at a $100 an hour for a 6 hour drive and had to pay for 12 hours. UBERs are hard to find in a lot of towns also.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
The grass was growing up around something like 18000 of them here while the islands were shut down and they got shipped away before any of our firebugs got at them. Now the tourists are swarming in and the companies don’t have enough cars until they can replace them all. It was bad for spring break period.

“On the island of Maui, the cheapest car rental is $722 a day for a Toyota Camry.”

https://carinmylife.com/car-re...-is-722-for-a-camry/

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I bought one from CarMax in November the instant it hit the lot. They were selling faster than they could put them out.

I picked up a year old Rogue Sport for $14k after seeing them on the dealer lot for $25K+.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I wonder how Turo has affected the rental car industry, if it has at all.
My gf just upgraded her car to one 3 years newer. She didn’t sell her old car though and has been renting it out on Turo. Booked nearly every day.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
The grass was growing up around something like 18000 of them here while the islands were shut down and they got shipped away before any of our firebugs got at them. Now the tourists are swarming in and the companies don’t have enough cars until they can replace them all. It was bad for spring break period.

“On the island of Maui, the cheapest car rental is $722 a day for a Toyota Camry.”

Good Lord. I thought Hawaii rental rates were outrageously high when Mrs.BurtonRW and I visited the Big Island and Maui a couple of years ago. Cheapest car I could get in Hilo was over $100/day and Maui was about the same.

Guess I'm not going to HI soon even if they decide to let us vaccinated folks in w/o quarantine eventually.

I miss the Priceline "name-your-own-price" service. Before they did away with that, I don't think I ever paid more than $25-30/day for a full size sedan. Someone always picked up a bid in that range eventually.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trip to Scottsdale mid February of this year arriving at 10:00PM. Four people and four sets of clubs.
Reserved a Grand Caravan to haul everything @ $360 per day. Stood around for 90 minutes while the hired
help tried to keep up. Two employees at the Hertz counter and sixteen customers waiting. Total cluster.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1056 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Holy crap! I rented a Grand Caravan last August for two solid weeks. Cost me under $800 for the whole trip!!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Holy crap! I rented a Grand Caravan last August for two solid weeks. Cost me under $800 for the whole trip!!

-Rob

Yeah Burton, if you were intending to make me feel better, not there yet.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1056 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just use Turo. Better cars and better prices (usually).

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by P210:

Good Lord. I thought Hawaii rental rates were outrageously high when Mrs.BurtonRW and I visited the Big Island and Maui a couple of years ago. Cheapest car I could get in Hilo was over $100/day and Maui was about the same.

Guess I'm not going to HI soon even if they decide to let us vaccinated folks in w/o quarantine eventually.

I miss the Priceline "name-your-own-price" service. Before they did away with that, I don't think I ever paid more than $25-30/day for a full size sedan. Someone always picked up a bid in that range eventually.

-Rob

I'm going to the Big Island in the fall and I've got a SUV reserved and already paid for with Budget Rent a Car.

$42.00 and change/per day for 2 weeks.

You've just got to rent in advance.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I wonder how Turo has affected the rental car industry, if it has at all.
My gf just upgraded her car to one 3 years newer. She didn’t sell her old car though and has been renting it out on Turo. Booked nearly every day.

I had never heard of Turo before reading this thread... I always learn something here.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Last year in Fort Myers , 4000 rental cars caught on fire (yes, four THOUSAND) in a huge rental car parking lot. I bet that didn’t help. $100 million dollar loss to the rental car companies.

Wouldn't it be the insurers that took the hit on that?

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
There is an Enterprise used rental car lot here and it's full. There must be at least 100 cars and truck in it. Maybe that's where they are going. Is this the time of year for their turnovers?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At that kind of rate, I'd rent a Uhaul truck instead. Ugly, but cheaper. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.businessinsider.co...terprise-turo-2021-4

Experts reveals the best way to avoid out-of-control rental car fees as America is hit with massive nationwide shortages

Brittany Chang 7 hours ago

A rental car could consume the bulk of your vacation budget if you don't plan ahead, experts warn.

Airline and hotel costs are still lower than pre-pandemic prices, Nerdwallet recently reported. But right now, the US is facing a massive rental-car shortage that's causing vehicles to either sell out or sell for high prices.

As a result, if you're planning a spontaneous vacation that will require a rental car, be prepared to pay more for your vehicle than your flight or accommodations, especially if you're looking to visit popular destinations like Hawaii, Florida, Phoenix, Arizona, and Puerto Rico.

"People are quickly realizing that they need to take the cost of the rental car into account because it's no longer just an add-on," Jonathan Weinberg, the founder and CEO of AutoSlash, told Insider. "It literally could be the majority cost of your trip, so folks who are planning things last minute are unpleasantly surprised by it."

Rental car company Hertz is already expecting "strong demand" through the summer, which could cause decreased availability in certain markets, according to an email statement sent to Insider. Enterprise echoed this in its email statement sent to Insider, adding that it has been working to grow its fleet size to address this increasing demand.

If you're wondering how to avoid these issues ahead of your summer vacation, consider planning ahead, although you could still see prices that are double or triple the typical costs. But if you'd rather book a last-minute trip to a hotspot like Florida, be prepared to see rental car prices about five to 10 times the average.

Rental vehicles in Hawaii averaged at about $50 a day two to three years ago. Now, some are going for $500 a day, according to Weinberg. And in extreme cases, prices have even hit $700 a day, Chris Woronka, a senior hotel-and-leisure analyst at Deutsche Bank, told Insider.

There's no one specific issue that's been causing this problem: the rental-car shortage is a result of a "perfect storm" of reasons, according to Woronka. For starters, there's currently a rising number of travelers planning post-COVID-19 "revenge vacations." This is then being compounded with a decreased fleet size after several car rental companies sold off parts of their fleets during the COVID-19 in order to save money.

And at the moment, any chance of increasing fleet sizes again is being hindered by skyrocketing used car prices and a lack of new cars due to the computer-chip shortage.

"No matter how much shuffling the rental car companies do with the vehicles that they have on hand, I just don't think it's going to be enough," Weinberg said.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to the Big Island in the fall and I've got a SUV reserved and already paid for with Budget Rent a Car.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hope it works for you. I do not trust these folks. We planned a trip to Hawaii, including rental car payment. We flew into Maui and found they had rented out our car and none was available. They drove us to the hotel in a van. The car was delivered several days later and I had to fight to get credit. I am never going back. The Big Island was nice but Oahu and Maui were not.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hope it works for you. I do not trust these folks. We planned a trip to Hawaii, including rental car payment. We flew into Maui and found they had rented out our car and none was available. They drove us to the hotel in a van. The car was delivered several days later and I had to fight to get credit. I am never going back. The Big Island was nice but Oahu and Maui were not.

When did this happen? I've been going to Hawaii every year since 1983 and never had a problem.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
November 1982

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post