SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59)
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 161
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59) Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I got to thinking (wrongly of course) that maybe I should be a bit more of an asshole. That way, I could drive them away just enough they won't think of me as a saint. That such would make it easier for them to deal with the loss that will come one day.

My father's behavior the last year or so has made very little sense to me until I read this. Thank you, lbj, for not doing this to your family. Yesterday, my sister and I had a long conversation about everything and more or less concluded that he is dying of lung cancer, won't admit it or get treated for it, and he's going to have as much fun as he can until then. Unfortunately, that has meant blowing off his children and only grandchild to instead buy a 2016 fully loaded Camaro. Easier to spend a chunk of money on a car than quit smoking so he can get to know his two year old grandson a little bit more before he goes, I guess. They've met only once.

I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers. Thanks for sharing your mind with us about this whole thing.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Both of your posts above, and that of other members posting that this thread has changed their lives in a positive way, is exactly the reason I continue it.
I want to help myself and others. This is why I put myself out here.

For some, death is a very private matter.
And that is very different from how I am doing things.
I truly believe that this thread helps me examine my own mortality and the process of dying, as well as others can read this in real time and get a glimpse of what it's like.
I haven't really looked for any material like this thread. This thread may be the type that is more common than I think.

But I think it is probably fairly unique.
And the book The Little Prince affected me in so many ways since I was young.
Yeah, that's it, I am unique in all the world. Or it is my wish to be so.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
My father's behavior the last year or so has made very little sense to me until I read this. Thank you, lbj, for not doing this to your family. Yesterday, my sister and I had a long conversation about everything and more or less concluded that he is dying of lung cancer, won't admit it or get treated for it, and he's going to have as much fun as he can until then. Unfortunately, that has meant blowing off his children and only grandchild to instead buy a 2016 fully loaded Camaro. Easier to spend a chunk of money on a car than quit smoking so he can get to know his two year old grandson a little bit more before he goes, I guess. They've met only once.

I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers. Thanks for sharing your mind with us about this whole thing.

I am quite the opposite of your dad, though I do feel for him and you too.
Everybody does it there own way I guess.

I actually do not want to blow my financial holdings. I want my family to have it. I have had my time in the sun, it will be time soon enough for them to have their times in the sun.
I love them and they deserve what I leave them.

My wife told me a couple months back that I should buy a new car. Mine is 12 years old with 170,000 miles. I told her I thought it was unnecessary, I like my old war horse X5 Sport.
Besides, I would rather them have the 80K a new X5 would cost.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Arg pirates. I have to go to work today as am I getting busy shuttering my franchise.
My goal is to have almost everything done by August 31st.
After a couple of hours today, I will need to stop for the day as my stamina is less than I would like it to be.

I'd rather go the range today but it is not to be.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I received an email from the Army today.
They were a sponsor of my professional football team. They owe me some advertising revenue.

I told them that as a patriotic act, they owe me nothing, that the slate is zeroed.

I may be patriotic in a general sense, but it has been a long time since I actually did something tangible for the country, and it made me feel good.

Funny how that works.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
LBJ, you are a true American bad ass.

I mean it.

I have admired you all these years and you never fail to keep me in awe.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I owe the country what I did today. Nothing more, nothing less.

For the last few years, the Army has had swearing in ceremonies at halftime one game a year.
There would be like 30 young men and women out there taking their oaths on my field.
We had those games designated as Military Appreciation Night and Rangers would repel down from the rafters, stop halfway and toss Army gear to the fans before descending onto the field.
It was always quite a sight.

It was time to pay it back for the pleasure I derived just watching it all.

However, in previous years, I did keep the money.

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rangers would repel down from the rafters, stop halfway and toss Army gear to the fans before descending onto the field.
It was always quite a sight.

God Bless You.

You wouldn't have a photo of that to post up would you?

Prayers Sent
Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Maybe. I will check with what's left of my staff.
It's really a skeleton crew, no pun intended.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe. I will check with what's left of my staff.
It's really a skeleton crew, no pun intended.

Just as long as they aren't using skeleton keys - you're good . . . . ;*)

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
This post may be redundant but I will post anyway.
This is my message and philosophy of living and facing death. It is a message of happiness, so here it goes.

At times in our lives, we wonder who we are and who will be when we are informed of our imminent demise or just plain outright die.
Of course, we don't spend too much time on the death thing or we would never live.

I wanted to be 5 things when my moment in time arrived regarding my death.
1) I wanted to be a deep thinker.
2) I wanted to be a philosopher.
3) I wanted a relationship with God.
4) I wanted a family.
5) I wanted to know something about life and be able to pass it on.

I can safely say that I have all those things and I am the person I wanted to be for this moment in time.
And then, I began thinking about what happened to me 30 years ago that changed my life.

Back then, I remember telling a co-worker that Friday night was coming and that the days off were truly living.
He told me my life would be short if I was living for the weekends.
He was right of course, I was not living 5 days a week.

Then I began to live every day.
As we are all aware, much of life is mundane, rinse and repeat as it were. So I began to mentally point out the few minutes of true living I was experiencing every day. Then I began to verbalize it every day as living unfolded.

It might be just 5 minutes an a particular day, sometimes more.
It became my Lhasa Apso LBJ greeting me at the door when I came home from work, me and him rolling on the floor in celebration seeing each other.
It might be a walk in the park, maybe it was pizza night and my favorite pizza. It might be a 30 minute sitcom on TV, maybe a 2 hour movie on TV, maybe it was something else. It was Lasher and Van Smack, and now my Lhasa LT along with my family.
There was and is something for me every day.

As I say, I have been doing this for 30 years.
When I look back at my life, I visualize a tunnel on my left with M. C. Escher stairs that do not go up or down. Those steps represent the days of my life.
I can safely say that for the past 30 years, I have lived every day.

Then I got to thinking recently that since I am the person I always wanted to be for this moment of time when my death is at hand, and given the fact that I have truly lived each and every day for the last thirty years, and given that I really have not changed who I am the last 30 years except at the margins, it became clear that I have always been the person I wanted to be, I just never had that answer as God doesn't typically makes us privvy to such knowledge.

How many people get such a gift? Some perhaps, though unfortunately, not all of us.
What I have been given is truly a blessing.

When I look at the tunnel I mentioned above, I would not trade anything from my life for more time, I would not want to be anyone else but me even if it meant living longer.
I do not feel cheated in any way that my life is shorter than I thought it would be. I am not bitter about my circumstances.
I am happy being me and that is all there is to it.

Many of you and others are praying for a miracle for me. It's appreciated, it really is.
But when you pray for me, please ask God for another miracle for me because He already gave me most important miracle of all and it's a huge one... it's called me and my life.

Who could ask for a better miracle than life itself. And trust me, lbj did love to stomp on the terra and it felt and feels darn good.

Yeah, I am not scared of being dead, my guess is that being dead is easy. It's not living that scares me a little because living is all I know.

If any of the above can help you or a loved one facing death, please feel free to share this, as it is a message of life, of death, of hope and happiness.

And all of the above is my philosophy regarding life, death and our Creator.

It's a beautiful thing and I mean every word of it.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many of you and others are praying for a miracle for me. It's appreciated, I truly am.
But when you pray for me, please ask God for another miracle for me because He already gave me a miracle and it's a huge one... it's called me and my life.
Who could ask for a better miracle than life itself. And trust me, lbj did love to stomp on the terra and it felt and feels darn good.

Wonderful, just wonderful.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe you all are actually spending time reading every word of my posts, it is such an honor.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot believe you all are actually spending time reading every word of my posts, it is such an honor.

LOL - how does the saying go?

No sir, it is WE who are honored. Thank you again for sharing with us.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I was once going to write a book called The World According to Wigley.
I never seemed to get around to it and never will.

But then it struck me, the book The World According to Wigley is being written, just in a different format, this thread.

Again, another blessing and something I always intended to write but never did. I had given up and figured the book was over before it began.

Yet here it is!!!
Another dream coming to fruition.

And again again, lots of great things happening to me late in my life.
The hits just keep on coming.
How great is that?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot believe

We're here.

It's just that some find it difficult to express it.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Lbj, I too have been following this thread daily...I haven't posted lately but I want to assure you that your posts have made a great positive impact in my life while my family and I struggle with end of life (on this world) issues with our dad...
You are in my thoughts and prayers...
Thank you for sharing all that you do with us on this forum...
God bless you and your family.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Forgive me if I am a bit teary eyed right now.
Everyone's comments are appreciated.

I just got back from giving my wife a big thank you. We were each 50 years old when we married. I inherited 2 daughters.
I told her her that I almost missed out, that she is responsible that we are a family.

To which she said sarcastically, "Yeah, and just look at what family you got."

Then I said, "We're Wigleys, that's just how Wigleys are."

I am certain that my sister and brother would agree.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
I cannot believe

We're here.

It's just that some find it difficult to express it.

This (words fail me) as well as what lbj said in his most recent posts.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

LOL - how does the saying go?

No sir, it is WE who are honored. Thank you again for sharing with us.

Yup.

I've learned a few things from this thread, especially the part about letting people who like you do things for you. I like to do things for my friends, they like to do things for me and now I let them.

Thanks LBJ. Smile

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post