SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59)
Page 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 159
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59) Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

It is not unexpected to have the side effects increase over time.
I have been on the nivolumab now for about 8 months.
It's saving my life for the short term, so no complaints about that part of the equation.

As far as being an inspiration?
I hope that is true. I mean that not for myself though, but for others. I just wish to present a view of death that I have just about never heard from anyone I know.

I feel certain that part of God's plan for me is to show people dying doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.
One's life is what you make it for the most part, and dying is the same way, ie what you make of that as well.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robbiedog
posted Hide Post
There's a flu bug going around SW Colorado, don't know if it's up there or not, but if you had a fever, might have been something different than a reaction to the meds. Hope so anyway.....weird to hope you had the flu, but there it is......

Posts: 136 | Location: East Texas | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I wish it had been the flu, but alas, it's the meds.
This seems to repeating itself after each treatment recently.

I will muddle through, I always do.

robbiedog is my brother, in case anyone was wondering. And a good brother to, BTW.
He's the financial wizard of the family.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Hang in there lbj - we are all rooting for you!

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

I feel certain that part of God's plan for me is to show people dying doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.
One's life is what you make it for the most part, and dying is the same way, ie what you make of that as well.

This thread for me has been a kind gift, more than I can say in words.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom

When I was in Chemo they gave me a RX for some anti-nausea meds but I never needed them. It was also common to get some mouth sores and that made food taste like tinfoil on cheap candy. They also prescribed something they called magic mouthwash. It was a mix of lidocaine and something else if I remember. The Pharmacy would mix two ingredients together. May want to inquire about anything they could prescribe to help.

Magic Mouth Wash: http://www.mayoclinic.org/test...uthwash/faq-20058071

When my appetite was down the wife would make me some of those Carnation Instant Breakfasts drinks with cocoa powder and ice cream in it. The coldness would also help with the mouth sores. I would have several a day.

Halfway thru the first two rounds of Chemo and Radiation I got so worn down I could hardly get out of bed to go to treatment. The Oncologist ran some blood work and ordered a two unit transfusion that really perked me up.

Just a few things to ask the Doctor or Oncology Nurse about.

As always Prayers sent your way.

Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers up, keep up the good fight.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Keeping good thougths for you Smile

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Hang in there and keep shooting and buying ammo! Very therapeutic. We did not make it to Kona this winter as planned. Maybe next year. I would like to treat my wife to a night at Mauna Kea, where we stayed for our honeymoon years ago.

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I continue to pray for you. I think you are probably more of an inspiration than you realize.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
. . . I feel certain that part of God's plan for me is to show people dying doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

"Dying grace" is a blessing from God. My prayers are with you and your family, LBJ.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I had treatment as usual last Friday. It's every two weeks.
I am really tired, but other than that, I'm OK.

I did gain back all of the weight I lost since a few posts above. It leaves fast and goes on fast.

Tonight, when younger daughter gets home... homemade chili dogs.

I've been told to remove the RRA/CMMG AR15 in 300BLK from the kitchen island.
Darn, I guess everyone is tired of looking at it but me.
Come on now, it's only been laying on the kitchen island for about two weeks. Roll Eyes

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am really tired, but other than that, I'm OK.

I am glad you are still hanging tough.

Everyday, each of us is one day closer to our death.

Seldom do we see anyone walk like you.

You honor God and life with all your heart and soul.

It don't get no better than that.

Thanks.

(and why I have the signature I do.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep the faith Tom. I've had you on our prayer list. Glad to hear that the weight goes back on with gourmet food like chili dogs. I think I'll celebrate with tacos tonight!

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Lots of way to exhibit toughness. It is indeed inspiring to witness yours--week after week.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
So grateful for your sharing. Lifts me up.

Keep strong, chili dogs sound phenominal, and no doubt you're inspiring me.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6961 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I found a lot of inspiration looking at my 300BLK laying on the island in the kitchen.
I used to glance at it often from the kitchen table where I do most of my internet surfing.

I tried the inspiration excuse, but it didn't work.
Mrs LBJ is fine with whatever I want that's firearm related. That is such a good thing.

But tonight I learned:
AR15s must be removed from the kitchen by day fourteen.

Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Glad to see these recent posts. Let me know when you get hungry for real Texas barbecue.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Tom.

It is great to hear the weight came back.

Homemade chili dogs are great.

Got to have some chili cheese and onions french-fries with them.

Prayers as always sent

Roy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ontmark,

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
And we're back, it has been a while.

Tonight, it kind of hit me regarding fairy tales and fairy tale endings. Yeah, OK, it might be considered morbid in a way, but such, at times, is the nature of being terminal. For me anyway.

My first and only marriage began when I was 50 years old. And sure, it was a struggle there for a while, it's just how I'm built.
With this marriage came the ready made family with 2 rebellious teenagers.

Now, I figured as I got older, there was no way I was getting married, let alone have kids.
But nonetheless, there it was, and remains, no pun intended.

Too be candid, 10 years ago, I set out with a purpose to at some point create the family unit, and then be strong enough to survive me, although not until recently did the survive me part come to the forefront. It is good for all concerned that this has finally come about.

It was not easy for any of us and it took many years.

Starting about 3 years ago with one daughter, and about a year and half with the other, the strong bond came to fruition.
I mean, it's a tough sell to get super close and tight knit as a stepdad, they have to want it.

Youngest daughter is pregnant, birth to be mid to late May, so I'm going to be a grandfather.
Then it dawned on me tonight that we all know about fairy tales.
Typically, I have never paid much attention to them until just now.

Given the fact that I spent most of life my alone, the last decade has been way different.

I have a rewarding marriage.
I have two wonderful daughters and all of us think the other hung the moon.
One daughter is pregnant and I'm going to be a grandfather.
My family has become a tight knit close unit that is strong and will survive.
The family will grow with the arrival of the baby.
My replacement will arrive on the planet.
I have my family well taken care of after my hoped for graceful exit when it comes.
In my heart of hearts, I have a relationship with Jesus Christ. It strengthens me.
I have had what I consider to be the best time and best life one could ever hope to have.

So there above are some highlights of a great life.
That brings me back to fairy tales.
Please look at the above and I think it is clear...
I'm getting a fairy tale ending to my life... whenever that is.
I have more than I ever thought possible even in my wildest imagination.

Yes, I believe in fairy tales and fairy tale endings, I am living one.