SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MLB Draft - How does it work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MLB Draft - How does it work? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
The ‘horns are nearing the College World Series, thanks in significant part to Kody Clement, son of Roger Clement. He is finishing his junior year, led the Big 12 in home runs, hit .336, lots of doubles, decent second baseman etc.

He was drafted by the Tigers in the third round. Can he sign and play at UT? Will he be drafted again next year if he doesn't sign now?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If he signs his college eligibility is done. If he does not sign by the deadline the Indians lose their rights to him and he can play at Texas again next year. He would then be available to be drafted again next year by any team. Typically, if a team drafts someone in the 3rd round it has been agreed before they make the pick that the player will sign. They don't want to waste a pick in the 1st few rounds.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Isn’t there some rule about drafting a HS player who opts to go to college, belongs to the drafting team for some time before going back into the available category?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Yeah guys can be drafted many times in MLB. Sometimes they sign, sometimes they don't, even in the top rounds. Many times it comes down to money (duh). Each team has a bonus pool that they can spend on signing bonuses for the entire draft. Also, the collective bargaining agreement sets bonus slot limits per pick.

Barry Larkin, Mike Mussina, Jorge Posada, Craig Kimbrel, Tim Hudson were all drafted twice by the same organizations, to name a few.

Jason Varitek was drafted by the Astros in 1990, the Twins in 1993, and the Mariners in 1994.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Isn’t there some rule about drafting a HS player who opts to go to college, belongs to the drafting team for some time before going back into the available category?

I believe, if they go to 4-year college full-time then they are owned by the drafting team until they have completed at least their Junior year or turned 21. If they go to a JUCO, then they can be drafted again the next year.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much has changed with MLB Draft, shaped in large part what is agreed-to by the players union in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. There used to be multiple drafts for amateur player: first-timers, college players, prior-draftees who went unsigned. Today, there's a single amateur draft, below is from MLB on who's eligible and how:
quote:

* High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;

*College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old;

*Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis. A player who is drafted and does not sign with the Club that selected him may be drafted again at a future year's Draft, so long as the player is eligible for that year's Draft. A Club may not select a player again in a subsequent year, unless the player has consented to the re-selection.

A player who is eligible to be selected and is passed over by every Club becomes a free agent and may sign with any Club until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college full-time or enters, or returns to, a junior college.

Recent changes include the introduction of a bonus pool, basically the amount of money that each team can offer all it's picks. 1st round picks will command the largest contracts however, teams need to weigh the sign-ablity of that player versus their ability to sign all the other players they draft. Many teams will avoid using high draft picks on high school players if they have scholarships with top college programs and/or know they are committed to staying in school; flip-side, draft a kid high enough and the signing bonus will sway the decision over the scholarship. Teams need to have their scouting dialed-in and know who they're drafting, as there's been a handful of 1st round picks who went unsigned. The team ends up leaving money on the table while missing out on restocking their system with a top-level talent...see Brady Aiken.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I saw on a website that Clements draft status (1st in third round) was projected worth $750k.

So take the money or play for UT next year, maybe be worth a lot more next year, I guess. He has until July 6 to decide.

Thankfully, he doesn't really need the money, I guess.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I saw on a website that Clements draft status (1st in third round) was projected worth $750k.

So take the money or play for UT next year, maybe be worth a lot more next year, I guess. He has until July 6 to decide.

Thankfully, he doesn't really need the money, I guess.

He could be offered more or less, the $750k is just the approximate slot value based on where he was picked. My son's club team had a kid drafted by the Padres a couple of years ago. He was taken in the 3rd round and his slot was estimated about $700k. They negotiated before the pick was made and the Padres gave him $1.7m and 4 years of college tuition. He went well over slot value, which reduces the amount they had to sign other players.

As for Clemens specifically, there really is no financial upside to him returning to Texas. He is an All-american, Big 12 Player of the year, a Golden Spikes contender, etc.... His stock is not likely to go any higher than it is right now and he risk going down in value if he holds out another year and doesn't have as good of a senior season. With his family being worth millions of dollars that may not factor into the decision though which is unique to his situation.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post