SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    400 guns stolen from UPS in Memphis over the weekend UPDATE, caught in Illinois
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

400 guns stolen from UPS in Memphis over the weekend UPDATE, caught in Illinois Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
OK. I just thought that major arms cargo shipments would be done by specialized, armed, shippers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Two words:

Clay

More

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember years ago somebody at a Roadway terminal in CA stole all the Oscars statues. IIRC, the cops got a tip and found them in the culprit’s garage not long before the day of the show.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Sounds suspiciously like an “inside job” to me.

Me too. Somebody had to know they were there, and where they were in the facility. At one time, working at UPS meant one had a solid background. It was hard to get hired and hard to make the cut once there, but that was 35-40 years ago.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
In my experience terminals tend to hold high value/high theft items in special security areas while they are sitting still. You would want to hit the shipment when it was not in the security area. Successful thefts like this one are often done by a professional crew who know exactly what they are after. Or just some really lucky amateurs. Trucking terminal hijackers I encountered in Dayton were bad asses.

The best security for firearms in shipment is for them to never stop moving. I doubt they will ever clear the case unless someone squeals.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I believe Memphis is a UPS hub.

FedEx SuperHub is located in Memphis.
UPS Worldport is located in Louisville.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows robbers never change their clothes and their shirts are black and white horizontal stripes

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Everyone knows robbers never change their clothes and their shirts are black and white horizontal stripes

And wear masks, don't forget the masks.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
what address did they give on the 4473?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
My Sig P320s shipped through Memphis during their "up-grade." Glad they went FedEx.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
At one time, working at UPS meant one had a solid background.

Hard to find in Memphis!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caught the Uhaul in Illinois.

They were Rugers, original shipment headed from the Ruger factory in North Carolina to Dallas, TX. (RSR distributors distribution center in Grand Prairie would be my guess)

https://wreg.com/2018/10/02/so...d-on-way-to-chicago/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Approximately 364 of the guns stolen from an UPS facility in Memphis have been recovered in route to Chicago.

According to a federal criminal complaint, the UPS facility received a shipment from the Ruger factory in North Carolina on September 28. The 16 pallets of firearms were scheduled to leave two days later for Dallas, Texas.

Before they could be shipped, two men entered the Brooks Road facility, loaded three pallets into a U-Haul van and sped away. Authorities said there were roughly 367 guns in those pallets. All of the weapons were either .22 caliber or .380 caliber firearms, authorities said.

On September 30, law enforcement in Midlothian, Illinois were called to a store after someone reported suspicious activity in the parking lot.

When they arrived, responding officers noticed a U-Haul parked in the lot and two men inside the van. The driver was identified as Roland Jackson and the passenger was Taveyan Turnbo, police said.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
At one time, working at UPS meant one had a solid background.

Hard to find in Memphis!

I think it is probably getting harder anywhere.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Caught the Uhaul in Illinois.

They were Rugers, original shipment headed from the Ruger factory in North Carolina to Dallas, TX. (RSR distributors distribution center in Grand Prairie would be my guess)

https://wreg.com/2018/10/02/so...d-on-way-to-chicago/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Approximately 364 of the guns stolen from an UPS facility in Memphis have been recovered in route to Chicago.

According to a federal criminal complaint, the UPS facility received a shipment from the Ruger factory in North Carolina on September 28. The 16 pallets of firearms were scheduled to leave two days later for Dallas, Texas.

Before they could be shipped, two men entered the Brooks Road facility, loaded three pallets into a U-Haul van and sped away. Authorities said there were roughly 367 guns in those pallets. All of the weapons were either .22 caliber or .380 caliber firearms, authorities said.

On September 30, law enforcement in Midlothian, Illinois were called to a store after someone reported suspicious activity in the parking lot.

When they arrived, responding officers noticed a U-Haul parked in the lot and two men inside the van. The driver was identified as Roland Jackson and the passenger was Taveyan Turnbo, police said.

Sounds like Chicago needs a law banning the importation of stolen guns. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sheeeit, I'm glad that they shipped mine FEDEX this time around!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I imagine a GPS tracking device was stowed somewhere in that shipment.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
.22s and .380s. Must have been Walthers, or Smith & Wesson.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Two words:

Clay

More

Wasn't he the Lone Ranger? Big Grin

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I imagine a GPS tracking device was stowed somewhere in that shipment.

Give that man a cigar!

High end packages, as Para mentioned, are equipped with motion activated trackers.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Headed for ChiTown. Now who would have thought? LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post