SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Millennials and the effects of social media
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millennials and the effects of social media Login/Join 
No ethanol!
posted
This came my way and I enjoyed the presentation. Simon Sinek places some interesting perspective to the effects of social media on the young, and in this way explains much of what we often read and observe here. While I differ on 1-2 points, it was a well spent 15 min.

Simon SInek interview about the effects of social media

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say that Simon is one of the most refreshing speakers that I have heard in a long time. Right to the point and his evaluations are spot on.
The information and the way he covers it keeps the listener engaged. I had to force myself to stop looking through the list of videos, knowing that I really should try to get something accomplished today. Very interesting commentaries.

Thank you very much for posting the link.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Spot on video.
A lesson we all can get something from.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Interesting point he makes that I hadn't considered before.

The effects of social media on the brain are identical to those of alcohol, nicotine, and gambling. Dopamine. Yet, there are age restrictions on the latter three and none on the former.

He might be on to something here.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Not a doctor, but I literally have seen guys make a post to the un-social media and have an absolute expression of nirvana on their face.

I think he is onto something.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The effects of social media on the brain are identical to those of alcohol, nicotine, and gambling. Dopamine. Yet, there are age restrictions on the latter three and none on the former.

This is an oversimplification of the role of dopamine in terms of behavior. Human behavior is much more complicated, although social media does create some problems.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sending this to a bunch of folks!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12623 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post