SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Older Toshiba TV won't turn on
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Toshiba TV won't turn on Login/Join 
posted
27A42 Toshiba pre-flat screen. It's a tank, and it's been 100% reliable. Suddenly, no response by switch or remote. Tried unplugging, waiting, re-plugging. Tried new batteries in the remote. Nothing. Is this the way they die? Thoughts? Remedies?

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
My power switch died the same way, after 25 years of use.

The telly has become a disposable consumer item these days. It may be time to replace it with a more up to date offering.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this the way they die?
Thoughts?
Remedies?

Yes
RIP
The trash can awaits.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Any fuses? Sure it is plugged in? Getting power?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I recently tried to give away a very similar television that I just didn't have room for on our local "Facebook yardsale" website. Still worked like new. No one wanted it. Not even for free. Not even if I delivered it. It went into the dumpster.

Time to upgrade. Junk that piece.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
To quote a much repeated phrase here on the forum: He's dead Jim.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
If you get no flicker, led, or sound at all when you turn it on, most likely some caps dried out on the power board. That could be a 10 dollar repair if you feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Typically there are 3 parts, power board, controller board, and the lcd panel. You can search online for the power board depending on the cost of the board and the value of your tv you can replace it, if your not comfortable soldering new caps onto the board, which would be cheaper still. The controller boards are a bit more expensive and have logic chips on them that you typically can't replace unless you have a ton of experience or some chip soldering equipment.

I just repaired a 52 inch samsung that has been on 18 hours a day since 2009. The controller board cost 62 dollars and 4 hours to disassemble and reassemble. Plenty of guides on youtube if your not familiar with how easy it is.

As a side note, I purchased a 55 inch samsung for 600 from costco while I was procrastinating with the 52 inch. Now I have a wall full of tv and sunday football, computer streaming, is ridiculously fun.

By your description I'm assuming its a 42 inch tv and as stated, that is now a disposable item. You can get a new 42 inch from walmart for 200 now.
Even cheaper when they have sales.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Most likely power board if you want to try and save it search your make and model with power board in search. You might just want to let it be say a few kind words and send it to the recycling, then go for a newer lighter model with more bells and whistles. Which I hope my wife does when I go all dark.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
call the man

just call the man

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Any fuses? Sure it is plugged in? Getting power?

Not sure; yes; yes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
call the man

just call the man

Do you mean Appliance Brad? He might wander by.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
If you get no flicker, led, or sound at all when you turn it on, most likely some caps dried out on the power board. That could be a 10 dollar repair if you feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Typically there are 3 parts, power board, controller board, and the lcd panel. You can search online for the power board depending on the cost of the board and the value of your tv you can replace it, if your not comfortable soldering new caps onto the board, which would be cheaper still. The controller boards are a bit more expensive and have logic chips on them that you typically can't replace unless you have a ton of experience or some chip soldering equipment.

I just repaired a 52 inch samsung that has been on 18 hours a day since 2009. The controller board cost 62 dollars and 4 hours to disassemble and reassemble. Plenty of guides on youtube if your not familiar with how easy it is.

As a side note, I purchased a 55 inch samsung for 600 from costco while I was procrastinating with the 52 inch. Now I have a wall full of tv and sunday football, computer streaming, is ridiculously fun.

By your description I'm assuming its a 42 inch tv and as stated, that is now a disposable item. You can get a new 42 inch from walmart for 200 now.

Good info. Thanks. But not 42 inch; 27 inch pre-flat screen. Like I said, it's a tank.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Most likely power board if you want to try and save it search your make and model with power board in search. You might just want to let it be say a few kind words and send it to the recycling, then go for a newer lighter model with more bells and whistles. Which I hope my wife does when I go all dark.

Right. Thanks. "Send" would be the operative word; I just had hernia surgery and would not be able to lift the beast.

posted Hide Post
Not Brad, your local television repair man

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Not Brad, your local television repair man

Ah. I'd probably try it myself as others have outlined, or junk it. Doubt it's worth a repair shop fee. And if I were to try to move it, I'll probably only want to do that once! Eek

You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
IMO there's no way to justify repairing something like that these days when the technology has gone so much further ahead and the prices have come down so much. Personally, I'd run out and get a Samsung, they are amazing TV's.

Now, if you'd like to try your hand at fixing it just for fun and you can find decent info on line with cheap parts then have at it and enjoy. Perfect example, I have a 70 inch Mitsubishi DLP widescreen TV in my basement that suffered from a common problem with all the DLP sets of the day. Failed DLP chips created spots all over the screen. I don't use the set often enough to justify replacing it with another 70" set but as it was you couldn't watch it so I tried my hand at TV repair. I ordered a new DLP chip and bulb on line for around $160, read about the repair online multiple times and tried my luck. It went great and the set has been working flawlessly for over a year now, I actually use it a lot more now!

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Recycle it. Get a new TV.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Costco has some killer deals right now with 15% cash back on your Costco Visa.

Just Saying.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:

I don't think I'd pay a repairman to fix it as a replacement TV would likely be less money, but if you've got a soldering iron it could be a cheap and easy fix. I've got an ancient 32" JVC that crapped out a few years ago. I opened up the back and took a quick peek at it before I tossed it out. I could see a capacitor that was bulged on top. A little Googling and I found a replacement, I think it was a $7 part. I carefully un-soldered the bad cap and soldered it's replacement in - it's still working to this day. If you opt to do something like that - be CAREFUL not to zap yourself. Some of those caps can hold a charge for quite a while.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, your old CRT TV is basically useless, a boat anchor has more value. Unlike furniture, old cars, etc., a 27" CRT simply has zero value today, and in the future. In fact, a CRT will have negative value, since it might cost money to dump it as electronic waste. A new flat screen TV will be a better bet, they are very inexpensive nowadays and way better.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post