SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bought a new pair of boots today...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a new pair of boots today... Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So after the Boot Barn experience last weekend, my wife and I took a road trip today. We stopped at Cowtown Boots in Phoenix. Didn’t really have too much I was that interested in. Headed to Saba’s in Chandler. They had a nice selection of Lucchese. I ended up with the pair pictured below. They are a full goat skin boot. Quite comfortable.
So after walking out of the store I kept thinking that the total seemed a lot less than expected. When I got to the car, I pulled the boots out of the box looked at the price tag and realized she had charged me $265. not $365.
I sat and debated for a moment. Told myself happy Father’s Day... I know it’s not the right thing to do. What kind of trouble could this girl get in for messing up the price, etc.
I went back in and told her I think she undercharged me. She looked at the receipt, and then the price tag and said that I must be the most honest guy in the world. That made me feel pretty good.
So I ended up paying the actual price. My wife was quite proud that I did the right thing.

Anyways, I’m the proud owner of a pair of Lucchese Lewis, in Tan Mad Dog Goat.

Question:
If you were undercharged $100 on a $365 pair of boots, what would you do?

Choices:
Go back inside the store and pay the $100
It’s their fault and mistake, my gain. I’m keeping it.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Good on you for DTRT. Thanks for helping make the world a better place & Happy Father's Day!

Nice boots, btw.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I suspect you did the right thing, I'm not sure whom by, but at least they can't call you a thief.

nice boots!

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
As someone who works in retail, it's on them, not you. If you came back in to my store after that happened, I'd tell you thanks for pointing it out, congrats, and have a great day.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Karma has a way of biting me arse for taking advantage of situations like that. I would've paid the difference.

Nice boots!

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Nice boots! I stopped in the Luchese store in San Antonio about 35 years ago, drooled a bit, bought Red Wings that I could afford at the time. Now I wish I could just bend over far enough to pull boots on.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well done, sir, in every way! That’s a damn fine lookin’ pair of boots there, and you did the right thing and get to wear them guilt-free! Big Grin

If I hadn’t paid the difference, I don’t think my conscience could let me wear them. They’d make me feel guilty every time I put them on.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Agreed to most here.
I bought a sink, faucet, vanity, toilet, flooring, and medicine cabinet from Lowe’s many years ago. I threw the faucet into the sink in the vanity, and put the mirror on top. I had a handful of other crap on the cart. I got home and my wife handed me the receipt (she paid that day) and noticed it was about $300 light. I didn’t go back to Lowe’s, but every time I turned in the water in the master bath sink, I thought of the faucet I unintentionally stole from Lowe’s.

As far as these boots, it would have weighed heavy on my conscience. Partly because I’m really trying to be a better person. Partly because it’s the last one of the Saba’s stores left, and it’s privately owned.
That said, the owner doesn’t treat his employees very well. He was kind of a douche to the sales girl that helped me. (I call her a girl, but she was probably 30 or so.)
When we got there he was petty harsh on her about a display and didn’t handle it in the most professional manner. There could be a lot more that I don’t know, but to reprimand a sales associate where a customer can overhear and see, is uncool. I figured that the poor girl would have had her ass handed to her, and rightfully so, but there is nothing wrong with being honest and helping the kid out.

My wife said maybe no one would know, but God always knows. He also knows I did the right thing. So there’s that too.

Either way, I’m proud of these boots, and I can feel proud every time I put them in, knowing I did the right thing.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in the pedorthic department of a family owned shoe store. If that happened in our store, we would have thanked you & let you keep the boots at the lower price you originally paid. They generally treat both our customers & our employees very well.

There are not many places where we take off your shoes, actually get measured, & phyically put your shoes on as you try them. We even go so far as to clean & polish your old shoes you wore in for free. Even if they weren't purchased at our store.

We are a dying breed, our customers value it, & are very loyal.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking boots that should last a very long time.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Good for you and I hope you enjoy the ensuing karma for the good deed.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
You did good man, on the deed and the duds! Seriously, awesome and so are your boots!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”
― John Wooden

Nice boots

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I've been there on various items over the years. I ALWAYS go back and point out the error.

About half the time, they say "Thanks for being honest. Our mistake, your lucky day."

I've also ordered the wrong item or size from both Amazon and McMaster-Carr and if it's a relatively minor thing, been told to "Keep it, we'll forward the right item at no charge."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You only have integrity once.

Now tell me how cowboy boots are supposed to fit. I have been think8ng I’d get some, I’ve worn combat boots when I was in the service and I know getting good fitting boots make a difference. I also have a narrow foot

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Yep Karma is real. Beautiful Boots!

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Now tell me how cowboy boots are supposed to fit. I have been think8ng I’d get some, I’ve worn combat boots when I was in the service and I know getting good fitting boots make a difference. I also have a narrow foot

There are a few things to consider. The goth of the toe box doesn’t matter like it does on tennis shoes or combat boots. The boot should bend at the widest part, where your foot naturally bends. That part of your foot and the boot sole should align.
You should have some slight slippage in the heel, which will go away when the sole breaks in and is more pliable.
Boots and dress shoes are almost the same as far as fit. Lucchese has a great video below that is helpful, as well as the Nocona video. Both linked below.

https://vimeo.com/280943711

https://youtu.be/PPKqNqFec2I

quote:
The “lol” thread

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Long, old thread here. Lots of info and some talk about fit as well. Loose in the heel at first is good, they'll break in kinda tighten up in the back.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
I have those boots in black - love them.

The smooth ostrich is nice too (I have the brown).

Great boots

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post