SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    computer help website redirection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

computer help website redirection Login/Join 
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted
When I try to log into one of my credit card accounts I get redirected to some other sites. It only happens to this one account when I try to access the site from my desktop, doesn't do it on my phone. I've deleted cookies and run Malaware Bytes and get the same results.

Looking for suggestions what I need to do to correct this.

Thanks.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redirected or sent straight to a different site?

Http://bank.com becomes
Https://bank.com becomes
Http://differentiate.com ?

Or does your browser say bank.com in the URL but the display a different site?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What computer are you on?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
It’s Barclayus goes to this may take a moment then to either clickcomfirmation or a tumblr site (completely different site and address). It’s an Asus desktop with windows 10.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is very suspicious then. I’m not a Windows 10 person, so I can’t offer specific advice for that, but I would be changing important passwords.

--

JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You've got a redirect virus or browser hijack PUP. Basically you'll need to manually uninstall the unwanted program, then run Malwarebytes again.

May be helpful: How To Remove Adware, Pop-up Ads & Malware From Microsoft Edge

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Get adwcleaner from malwarebytes’ website. Run that.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
It’s Barclayus goes to this may take a moment then to either clickcomfirmation or a tumblr site (completely different site and address). It’s an Asus desktop with windows 10.

Are you spelling it correctly?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
It’s Barclaysus...

https://www.securebanking.barc...95-F86D-C52ADCAE875B

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At some point, you dropped the s off of Barclays.

All the websites I find with Barclays have the s.

Delete anything you have without the S and retype it with the s and try again.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
At some point, you dropped the s off of Barclays.

All the websites I find with Barclays have the s.

Delete anything you have without the S and retype it with the s and try again.

Just a typo in this post. I visit it often so it already comes up correctly in the address bar.

posted Hide Post
Try using a different browser on the desktop. If that works ok, then use the browser that gives you trouble in its safe mode with all plugins and browser extensions disabled. Might give you an idea where the problem’s coming from.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
^^^ yes same on both Chrome and Yahoo.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Here's a question for networking wizards: Could drabfour's problem have anything to do with a malicious DNS server?

I have barely enough knowledge in this area to ask questions, certainly not enough to answer them. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
If you are running a windows machine, a HOSTS file may have been altered maliciously to direct requests to some other site.

I have not personally experienced this but it is easy enough to check.

This article describes how to check it.
If you are not on windows, please disregard.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:

Are you spelling it correctly?

Well damn apparently this WAS the problem I just ASSumed the correct spelling popped up when I typed it in the address bar as it usually does.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Off to the corner I go with my dunce cap.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Here's a question for networking wizards: Could drabfour's problem have anything to do with a malicious DNS server?

I have barely enough knowledge in this area to ask questions, certainly not enough to answer them. Smile

I went back searching for this thread to see what the resolution was, not being a Windows desktop person. I have, however, been a DNS person for a long time.

In short... yes. If an upstream DNS service returned an address that went to a bad site instead of the intended, that could certainly happen. Breaking into the DNS zone itself (such as barclaysus.com) is harder and usually more noticeable. Cache poisoning of a DNS service closer to the client is easier in some respects and less noticeable by Barclays, but still not some trivial matter.
Poisoning intervening network gear to send DNS queries to a bad actor has occurred. For example, 8.8.8.8 (Googles public DNS) queries suddenly being sent to China who gives results that direct financial sites to hacker sites).
A more likely play would be poisoning of a local cache on the client host itself, or built into the browser, via some downloaded malware, or an entry placed into a local hosts file (mentioned previously in the thread).
Routers can play a hand here. Either they are proving a DNS resolver service for internal clients, or just the fact that they see every packet that goes by and could craft a response. Router security is important.
DNS over HTTPS is a proposed standard that could address a few issues such as validating the source of the result. I wonder about scaling and performance in these scenarios, but I’m out of that service provider game at this point.

--

JALLEN 10/18/18