SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electricians / Home renovators - LED light tape or strip for under-cabinet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electricians / Home renovators - LED light tape or strip for under-cabinet Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
Does anyone have any experience with LED tape or LED light strips for under-cabinet use in a kitchen?

I need to be able to tie this into a 120v(?) source and switch with a dimmer, but everything I've found is a 12v AC adapter type, with little remotes and adapters.

Anyone have experience with something that ties into 110?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
They sell rolls of LED tape for just your sort of project, but it's not inexpensive nor does it come in short lengths unless you specifically order it short.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would go LED - worth the added trouble of setting it up correctly. I am adding LED's to the exterior of my house and going through similar gymnastics

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd go with something like this, which is what I installed in our kitchen.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Com...1325KIT-WH/206996745

These are 110v and can be daisy chained to cover as many lineal feet as you need.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did mine for about $30 with led tape from amazon and 12v power supply. Cut tape to length and soldered wires connecting each strip. Works perfectly. Amazon also has aluminum track for led strips if you want better looking install.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Why does it have to be tape? I usually install kichler or CSL. I'd only use tape for in cabinet lighting. If you go with one of above you can repair/replace. The tape stuff changes to often and often has proprietary components.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:
I did mine for about $30 with led tape from amazon and 12v power supply. Cut tape to length and soldered wires connecting each strip. Works perfectly. Amazon also has aluminum track for led strips if you want better looking install.

Pretty much did the same thing, light tape is great just don't pull it off to adjust it, find the right place, stick it down and leave it alone. I hid the power supply in a vacant corner behind a upper cabinet.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:

Pretty much did the same thing, light tape is great just don't pull it off to adjust it, find the right place, stick it down and leave it alone. I hid the power supply in a vacant corner behind a upper cabinet.

Not sure how you guys did it, but I see so many code violations when people install under cab lights it laughable.

I suggest consulting with and/or having a licensed electrician install. Many cables are not rated to be ran through walls/cabinets, even 12v stuff.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a single color (white or others) then you can control with a switch simple on/off, but most LEDs need the transformer to step down from 120vac.

I have a set of RGB and can select 16 colors and need the remote to do that. Switch is always on, remote is Velcro'd to the fridge.

I've also done a few light boxes for movie posters and they just have LED white strip lights and a small transformer. They are on a smart outlet that I can turn on or off with my phone or use a motion sensor.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
They sell rolls of LED tape for just your sort of project, but it's not inexpensive nor does it come in short lengths unless you specifically order it short.

I have never paid over ten bucks for a 5 meter roll and that was on the high side. It's all marked for cutting every three inches.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I looked at three different sites and the shortest length offered was 65 feet.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Hmm, I looked at three different sites and the shortest length offered was 65 feet.

I've never measured or inquired about it recently, but they have rolls on supply house counter that can't possibly be that long. Maybe 50' max. It's out there, but maybe they just sell to electricians?

I don't use the stuff personally as I stated above. I would only use for lighting display cases or glass front cabinets.

I have had to make a number of repairs to it though. When I have, I (my office) was able to order smaller sections.

If it doesn't need to be small, real under cab lights is my preference by far.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
I believe it was Lowe's that had some like the ones in the link. Linkable, clear with switch on AC cord. Simple and nice lights. Install a wireless controller to make them more convenient.
https://www.themine.com/under-...i55:20170624054058:s

Or like this one from Menards:
https://www.menards.com/main/l...0279517122523&ipos=7

These are VERY bright 800 lumens, but they do generate a lot of heat. Touch on/off is a very nice feature.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/...CTRIC-72065-/25-8035

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post