SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Terms that are stupid or make little sense when you see/hear them
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terms that are stupid or make little sense when you see/hear them Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
polka dot What does "polka" have to do with it?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
"Put some rounds downrange"

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
You mean you woke up every two hours screaming with your pants full and your belly empty?

Nah, I just felt I should breast feed. Eek

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
"I could care less"-- which means that you care. ("Couldn't care less.")

"Previously owned." It's fucking USED. Might as well call vomit "previously digested."

"Pre-recorded." It's recorded. Unless you have something that was done before it was recorded.

Calling vomit "previously digested" reminds me of the bucket in the sewer (bilge) of 12 meter America's Cup yachts. It was for either vomit, piss or shit. They said it was for "used food"

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've never had anal leakage but I have streaked my shorts a time or two.

Sweating like a whore in church.

independent as a hog on ice.

stronger than bulldog jism.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You leave a shit, not take one.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Southern Rock

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Senate Intelligence

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
When telling time, saying "it's a quarter of 10" to mean 0945. Da' heck is that? Shouldn't a quarter of ten mean 1015? A quarter to ten makes sense and is completely unambiguous, but a quarter of ten is unclear unless you happen to know that that little linguistic quirk mean 15 minutes 'til.

Just say a quarter to ten or a quarter after ten for chrissakes!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
The ever popular 'irregardless'.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
my wife is a HUGE grammar nazi, so I've started purposely using popular sayings wrong.

"without further to do"
"a rip on your shoulder"
"beating a red horse"
"take the ice"

she finally caught on. after a week of correcting me and me arguing with her that I was in fact right, and she was wrong.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
"50% chance of rain". Heard in Florida constantly and means the weatherman hasn't a clue what the weather will be.

"We will begin the pre-boarding process..." How does one get on a plane before getting on a plane? Thank you George Carlin. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
"50% chance of rain". Heard in Florida constantly and means the weatherman hasn't a clue what the weather will be.

Kind of like partly sunny vs partly cloudy...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It is what it is"

I threatened to taze anyone who said it.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Well, needless to say (but I'll say anyway), I'm sweating like a pig (pigs don't sweat), but one of my rules of thumb (?)

I could explain 'rule of thumb' but you'd prolly be bored.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Oh yeah, and ring worm - It's a fungus, folks. There's no worm in there.

No, but it looks like there is a worm just under the epidermis......just saying that is where the name came from.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
When telling time, saying "it's a quarter of 10" to mean 0945. Da' heck is that? Shouldn't a quarter of ten mean 1015? A quarter to ten makes sense and is completely unambiguous, but a quarter of ten is unclear unless you happen to know that that little linguistic quirk mean 15 minutes 'til.

Wouldn't a quarter of ten be two and a half?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
May not be a complete fit here but I'm utterly nonplussed about the now very common use of "historically" as it seems when I was growing up (many decades ago) it was simply "historic."

So every time I hear "historically" I automatically react with a huge "WTF?".

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

No. no. no. You do not understand the logic.

You are diferencing.

If you have a quarter, that is 25 cents.

If you have a "quarter to ten", the difference is 15.

Fifteen to ten is before ten.

Now if you were subtracting, it would be a quarter from ten, and you would be -15, which is still before ten since it is a negative number, and still 15 to ten.

Now if you were adding, it would be ten and 15 and that would be both 25 whaich is a quarter and therefore a quarted past ten, or fifteen after ten.

And yes, my last name really is Abbott...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Oh yeah, and ring worm - It's a fungus, folks. There's no worm in there.

No, but it looks like there is a worm just under the epidermis......just saying that is where the name came from.

Yes, I know that. But, many patients really think there are worms there.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post