SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Terms that are stupid or make little sense when you see/hear them
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terms that are stupid or make little sense when you see/hear them Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Heat stroke - I know this is the accepted medical term for the terminal phase of heat related illness, but a lot of folks think that it is somehow related to the other strokes that are so much more common (clot related stroke or hemorrhagic stroke). In any event, you are hit by a stroke of bad luck, if any one of them hits you.

Hay fever - It's allergy due to whatever that is in the environment. Nothing to do with fever.

Pre-qualified - You have been chosen. You are pre-qualified for our Uber Ultimate Titanium Plus credit card. Pre-qualified makes you, and a million other suckers, feel special. But, it means jack shit. You are still a nothing. You're not even pre-approved.

Near miss - Yes, we know what it means. It's a close call. But, at first glance, it means the opposite, a collision.

What else are out there? Razz

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Chicken Pox

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, and ring worm - It's a fungus, folks. There's no worm in there.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Near miss - Yes, we know what it means. It's a close call. But, at first glance, it means the opposite, a collision.

Big Grin

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/zDKdvTecYAM

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Well, needless to say (but I'll say anyway), I'm sweating like a pig (pigs don't sweat), but one of my rules of thumb (?) is that when I hear "heads up" I duck (down instead of up)!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mikeyspizza,

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breaking news.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Dry cleaning - Even though water isn't used, your clothes are still getting wet by the solvents used to clean them.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Driveway = a place to park.
Parkway = a place to drive.
Confused

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Illegal Immigrant.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I slept like a baby...

You mean you woke up every two hours screaming with your pants full and your belly empty?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
jumbo shrimp

plastic silverware

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Elevator.

Going up, sure. But...

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Throwin' shade. Dude, it's 101 outide! Trow me some dat!

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Sweating like a hog(pig).

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Pre-owned
Apartments

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Reduced down.
Raised up.

1:30AM in the morning or 3:30PM in the afternoon.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Does it burn up, or burn down?

Why are they called apartments? They're all stuck together.

Hot water heater. No. Wrong. It's a water heater. Why would you heat already hot water?

All the news that's fit to print. You know who. Yeah right, bullshit in print.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
"I could care less"-- which means that you care. ("Couldn't care less.")

"Previously owned." It's fucking USED. Might as well call vomit "previously digested."

"Pre-recorded." It's recorded. Unless you have something that was done before it was recorded.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filmed before a LIVE studio audience.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've always liked "sweating like a whore on nickle night".

Actually, there is no contradiction there, I've always just kid of liked the ring of it. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post