SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Earthquake Insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Earthquake Insurance Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We've had a couple small quakes here lately, and my wife is pretty rattled (pun intended). She asked me to look into earthquake insurance, so I thought I'd ask here first. Is there anything about EQ insurance I should know while shopping around?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have no idea but living here on the Wasatch front I am curious as well. Hopefully others may have an idea. I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Earthquakes are rare here, but I have it nevertheless. I don’t believe there are many places in the U.S. where they can’t occur.
Without looking it up I don’t recall the exact wording, but my policy specifically excludes damage to nonstructural masonry like decorative rocks or bricks cemented to an outside wooden wall.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
We have it as a rider through Bear River. As I recall, it has a 10% deductible. You should shop around and get quotes. I have been told some homeowners insurance carriers do not offer it anypmore. It is like flood insurance, you do not want to pay for it until you really need it. In getting a quote check to see if there is an initial dead time when they will not cover.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We have it as well, yes earthquakes are rare in NC but for less than $100 per year why not, you never know.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We have it through State Farm being here in Missouri and overdue for a big New Madrid quake. It's inexpensive, but does have a high deductible.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually the deductible is really high like your house needs to be significantly damaged before you would make a claim. Being in ground zero here in the SF bay area, it’s a concern to me. I bought as far away from known faults as a could.

In California, your lender can not require it on a residence not sure about rest of the country.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
When we lived in the PNW it was cost prohibitive, like doubled the cost of our policy. We passed with the logic that a small quake wouldn't likely do enough damage to significantly exceed to high deductible and if the big one hit we would end up in the FEMA line with everyone else. Neither came to fruition in the 10 years we owned a home there.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
You might want to check your homeowner's insurance. As I recall, in CA earthquakes are not covered. Insurance is separate (about $25 for a $500K home). Mine is purchased through my homeowner's insurance (USAA).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have it in the Seattle area and I think it's pretty expensive.

What I'm afraid of is being responsible and paying for it, then if there is a big earthquake, FEMA and the government will just pay everybody out anyway. Didn't they do that after Katrina and some other natural disasters?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Since I am within the area of risk for new madrid fault - I have earthquake insurance with USAA. It was very cheap. Changed a few small things on my car insurance policy and it basically evened out cost-wise.

I remember talking with them about rebuilding costs vs value of the house and I'm insured for enough to rebuild I think. It did have a decent chunk for deductible though...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
In the high-incident areas I'd be worried about the insurance companies' ability to pay in the event the big one hits. Might not matter in the middle of nowhere with sparse populations. But if a major city in CA gets wiped out, FEMA won't be able to handle it and insurance companies will go out of business very fast.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I had earthquake insurance rider on my Log home in Missouri. I had well over $15,000 in rock work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
In the high-incident areas I'd be worried about the insurance companies' ability to pay in the event the big one hits. Might not matter in the middle of nowhere with sparse populations. But if a major city in CA gets wiped out, FEMA won't be able to handle it and insurance companies will go out of business very fast.

It's no different than being on the Golf but instead of water, it's rocks.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Do you like Bear River? I called them this morning and they are slightly cheaper than Liberty Mutual, with slightly worse coverage. Is Bear River a good company? I've gone by their headquarters a number of times, but I do not know much about them.

I called my insurance agent this morning, and added an earthquake policy to my homeowners policy for about $300/year. It's a 15% deductible, so basically, it's for a catastrophic earthquake.

Deepocean, yeah, I definitely felt the quake this morning. That's what got my wife worried about getting insurance Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When i lived in Alaska (most seismically active of the 50 states), I inquired about earthquake insurance. My surprise at the astoundingly high deductible (20%) was only surpassed by the insanely high premium (would pay off the deductible in only a few years). We had hundreds of earthquakes during my 5 years including M6.2 and I had less than $100 damage total. I'm glad I didn't subject myself to the annual wallet raping.

The M7.0 earthquake in 2018 (4 years after I moved away) was hit or miss on causing damage. Most of my friends had at most a few hundred dollars in plates rattle out of the cupboard or stuff fall off walls/shelves. Only outlier is my friend's inlaws had one of the few brick homes in Alaska and much of the brick came off the house plus they had major structural damage. The biggest common denominator on damage vs no damage was whether or not the house/neighborhood was build on fill.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
We have it as we are south of New Madrid but will not feel it too much as the fault runs east to west north of our house and the small quakes felt there are not felt here. We have USAA and they are very reasonable

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Do you like Bear River? I called them this morning and they are slightly cheaper than Liberty Mutual, with slightly worse coverage. Is Bear River a good company? I've gone by their headquarters a number of times, but I do not know much about them.

We have had them for 17 years for everything. They are the cheapest we found too based upon their underwriting policies. Many companies won't even bid against them.

Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
When they started fracking earthquakes became a big problem around here. So I bought insurance as its pretty inexpensive. You haven't lived though until you've had a 5.0 quake and F4 tornado in the same day!

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Seems to me, anyone with a very low equity position would just walk away from a house too heavily damaged by an earthquake. Then it's the bank's problem. FEMA money isn't free. Well, it might be interest-free, but it's a loan. I don't think a lot of folks could handle having a second mortgage for the same house just thrown at them.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post