SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My 1st gator kill
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 1st gator kill Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted
Well I killed my first gator. It was a rainy night in South Louisiana and I never saw him on that black asphalt. But when my left front hit him I knew it. Must be a SOB to hit a big one.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
You have a great opening line for your new book. “It was a dark and stormy night when I whacked Boudreaux the snack sized gator...”
The New York Times is waiting to put your book on their best seller list, but you have to write it first. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Why did the gator cross the road?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ It's too late to ask him now.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Well, you've got me beat. I killed a pack rat walking across my driveway yesterday. He was a big-assed rat, but not even close to your trophy.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Why did the gator cross the road?

Well we figured he was after frogs. It was a road close to Bayou Teche that ran through the sugar cane fields. There were a bunch of frogs in the road and we figured he was in the ditch and scared the frog onto the road and he went after them.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
What a coincidence, I had fried gator for an appetizer last night.

Charlie, are you getting it made into boots, belt, and a holster?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Nope I bet some Coonass picked it up about 10 min. after I hit it.

posted Hide Post
nutria's are 12 points

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Here near the Bonnet Carré spillway there has been a huge uptick in gators getting hit especially on Airline Highway. A few weeks ago I was riding my motorcycle on River Road near Montz and as I came around a bend I saw what I initially thought was a LARGE lawn ornament by the side of the road. Then the lawn ornament made a swift move into my lane which got my full attention right quick. It wasn't as dramatic as it sounds as it was a good ten yards ahead of me with plenty of time and room to evade.

The point though is that hitting one with a car, even a small gator, can be bad... I don't even want to think of what could happen hitting one on my motorcycle.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I see 2 or 3 fresh gator kills a week(Everglades). Mostly in the 3 ft range. I have never hit a live one though.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
Here near the Bonnet Carré spillway there has been a huge uptick in gators getting hit especially on Airline Highway. A few weeks ago I was riding my motorcycle on River Road near Montz and as I came around a bend I saw what I initially thought was a LARGE lawn ornament by the side of the road. Then the lawn ornament made a swift move into my lane which got my full attention right quick. It wasn't as dramatic as it sounds as it was a good ten yards ahead of me with plenty of time and room to evade.

The point though is that hitting one with a car, even a small gator, can be bad... I don't even want to think of what could happen hitting one on my motorcycle.

A couple weeks ago we were on I-10 on the part were it crosses Pontchartrain and there was a coon walking towards N.O. That's not healthy for a coon walking on that elevated part

Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
***Snip***

A couple weeks ago we were on I-10 on the part were it crosses Pontchartrain and there was a coon walking towards N.O. That's not healthy for a coon walking on that elevated part

Not healthy indeed. Every time they open the spillway we get a mass exodus of varied wildlife coming through our neighborhood.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's not healthy for a coon walking on that elevated part

Lord, please don't let a liberal read this. Roll Eyes

quote:

Quickest way to get the family jewels in a huge vice is to be caught with a dead gator, out of season, and no tag.

Besides, you would not have enough belly skin to made a decent pair of boots and a belt and a holster. Maybe a belt and a sexy pair of bikini underwear for you and the wifey. Big Grin

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

You could maybe make a sheath out of that gator.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just happen to run across this story today. Be glad 'your' gator was a bit smaller than this one.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...ar-AADasdP?ocid=iehp

"A gator weighing over 450 pounds had to pulled from a highway in Tallahassee after being struck by a semi-truck." Eek

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post