SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First real day as a Sergeant tomorrow
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First real day as a Sergeant tomorrow Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Sarge. The stripes will get heavy at times. Wait out the storms. I learned to let my team do their jobs. They’ll call me when they need help.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Middle management never a dull moment, fight the forces from both ends. Micro managing is your enemy. Finding what each officer is good at and assigning responsibilities accordingly.....best move I made was assigning an officer who was OCD with squad maintainence. He took it to a whole new level, scheduled squads to be sent to to our mechanic. Came in on his days off to rotate tires. I loved, he loved it and the fleet always was maintained, and looked sharp.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the promotion!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Congrats Sir! be safe and enjoy your New Year..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise and well wishes, all. First work week in the books with nothing exciting to report.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Thanks for the advise and well wishes, all. First work week in the books with nothing exciting to report.

Never mind that...did you fix the toilet?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
First work week in the books with nothing exciting to report.

Congrats! I view nothing exciting as an extreme positive!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:

Never mind that...did you fix the toilet?

Lol. The project is bigger than the toilet... I’ll update the proper thread.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
I have been a supervisor fro a long while, so I can tell you a couple of thinngs tht have served me well over the years:

Make a clean break. your officers arent looking for a friend, so be a leader. The guys who want to buddy up to the new boss will always give you bad advice and try to take advantage of the relationship. Your best guys will generally not try to get attention as they quietly go about being a professional. (I dont mean to be pompous, and put on airs of superiority, but rather to understand that there is a certain necessary loneliness of command)

Be fair. Always do the right thing and dont try to play politics. Never throw your guys under a bus to appease anyone if they did the right thing. If your guys do wrong never cover it up. In the last 20 years of police supervision, I have been served very well by asking the following question "did this officer act in a good faith effort to enforce the law?" If that answer to that is yes (even if the actual facts are found later to be different than they appeared) then support your guy.

Some people shouldnt be cops: If you have a subordinate who actually enjoys having power over the citizens they are sworn to protect, try to get them into a new profession.

There are many other things you will figure out, but those should get you through the first day.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Congrats. I finally decided to transfer to our GIU (detectives). My transfer takes affect two weeks from tomorrow.

A couple of pointers:

When knocking on a door in the new job, it is more of wrist motion, I find a backhand wrist motion with only the 2 middle knuckles making contact will often do just fine. The soles of your feet will rarely need to contact the door.

Aftermarket insoles in dress shoes are a blessing.

Lunch is eaten around noontime.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and the BEST of luck!!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, be safe, and God bless you for your service

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Never forget, leadership is not about you, it's about your people

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!

Be safe out there, and teach your younger officers to do the same.

Not worried about you or your younger officers' abilities or dedication. You will do just fine!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post