SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Subaru, the good and the bad
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subaru, the good and the bad Login/Join 
posted
Well yesterday I traded in my almost 3 year old Forester for a new Crosstrek. I had a mostly love and a little hate for my Forester. I always said it might be the favorite car I ever owned. I have had Toyota's, Ford's, Chrysler, Honda, and of course Jeep (Grand Cherokee jeep).

The Forester was and is a mountain goat in the snow. In MD we don't get Michigan snow but when it comes the Forester was always ready to go. Cars stranded, slid off road and the Subaru never felt off balance or even iffy. It just stuck to the road and I felt very safe. I also drive for the conditions and don't push it but the car was great in the snow. I liked driving it, plenty of room, reasonable oomph, mileage not bad, high driving height. Good car.

Here is the bad. I feel like my Forester was the Monday morning made one. It had a laundry list of nitanoid little issues. Subaru dutifully worked through them all except the last one. They might have eventually fixed that one too but honestly I started to feel snake bit and with warranty about to run out I did what I never do. I traded in a 3 year old car, I usually run them into the dirt. Last car went 14 years.

In order this is what went wrong.
1) Radio/bluetooth went bad. Replaced.
2) A/C went bad. 2 trips to shop, second one replaced the compressor.
3) Passenger seat replaced due to faulty airbag sensor that also made seat warmer malfunction.
4) Vibration from instrument cluster.
5) Last problem, unknown fix. Rear tailgate (electric) didn't always open using rear switch. They changed out switch and have new hydraulic struts on order.

That might have fixed it but I will never know.
Ever have a car that you loved but just couldn't get past some issues? Maybe I pulled the trigger too fast on this one but I feel pretty good about ditching it. The dealer made a pretty reasonable trade in/sales price so I am happy about that. I made it clear that I wanted to continue using Subaru but that the last car let me down and I would only buy a new one if the numbers were reasonable. They were and I did.

This new Crosstrek, basically an Impreza with 3 inches of lift and some cladding around the edges all around. The Impreza is the sleeper deal but I got used to the almost 9 inches of ground clearance with the Forester so Crosstrek it is! Being a Subaru of course I got it in a garish color. Hyper Blue. Wife hates it. Son loves it. Must be a guy thing. It has 20ish less horses but it is lighter so it feels comparable as a driver. It drives smaller and takes up noticeably less space in garage. I got the Eyesight system and the dealer took me on freeway to demonstrate it. I wasn't going to pay for this system because I never had one before didn't figure I needed to start now. Wow, I was wrong. He got me behind slow movers and demonstrated what it is designed to do. I was uncomfortable, I wanted to step on the brakes but let the car do it. It worked really well and it might end up saving my life or my families life. I ended up compromising and getting cloth seats instead of leather and the Eyesight system and price wise that turns out about even. Seemed like a fair trade to me.

Anyway, two days into new car and I like it so far.

Posts: 7350 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
He got me behind slow movers and demonstrated what it is designed to do. I was uncomfortable, I wanted to step on the brakes but let the car do it.

I bought a new Outback with Eyesight a couple of months ago. That feature came in handy during traffic on a 5 hour round trip drive yesterday. I like it.

The lane assist can seem a bit off occasionally. I was in the right lane on a three lane highway coming to an exit when the system was keyed in on the RIGHT lane line but not the left lane line. The car actually started to push right over to the exit and I had to correct it.

I do like my new Outback.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I had two Subarus, a 2004 Forester XT and a 05 Outback XT. They both had the same issues: 1) cheap paint and 2) headgasket problems. They were otherwise rock solid.

The Forester was a total oss because of some really bad hail damage and the Outback was hit by a Denali. I broke my arm and was hospitalized for a week due to that accident, but I'm convinced that the Outback did a good job in keeping me safe.

I thought about getting another Subie but wanted something bigger so I got a Acura MDX.

-Tom
(I heard Subaru is finally coming out with a three row SUV now though)

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have the lane assist. Don't think it is available on the Crosstrek yet. I suspect I will never even think about Eyesight until the day it saves my bacon. Does the lane assist actually turn your car or just give you feedback that you are drifting? My dealer described it even though I don't have it and I was under the impression it made warning sounds and perhaps vibrated the steering wheel. I admit I didn't pay much attention to his description since I wasn't getting it.

Posts: 7350 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One other funny, 2017, style experiences. They now have an customer experience director who you meet with 2-6 weeks after purchase. The carrot is a 50 dollar gas card if you come back and talk with him. They even give you a little faux leather Subaru embossed notebook and Subaru pen to keep your notes and "experiences" jotted down.

We are so sensitive nowadays that my back teeth hurt sometimes. But, for fifty bucks, I will play the game.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The Legacy didn't have Eyesight yet when I bought mine and I wasn't waiting a few months or upgrading to the Outback (I was originally going to buy a BRZ). I had an Outback loaner with Eyesight and now I'm regretting not getting it.

My '15 is only at 47k miles now and still running strong. Only had to change tires so far. (not counting oil or filters in that)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the cars, but the Subaru=Love ads are BAD!

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
My Jeep is the love/hate car of my life. It's a 2012 Hemi Grand Cherokee and I love how it drives, that it goes anywhere and how comfortable it is. I also love the styling and power on the latest version.

I would happily and without hesitation buy another one to replace this (125,000 on the clock now and starting to look a little worse for wear)

BUT I WILL NOT... It's the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned by far and I've owned every domestic and several asian makes. It's constantly breaking down, leaving me stranded and when it does you can't get the parts from FCA to fix it. I have a lifetime warranty on it so I pay $100 even time it goes in for something but it sat for a month last time because FCA can't make enough water pumps to replace all the garbage ones that are going. I just do not trust the truck at all anymore. It's even shut off on me on the highway on multiple occasions.

FCA builds the coolest cars, designed for American tastes and packs them full of awesome features for a great price. What I've found is that they get to that price point by sourcing such poorly made parts and components that you end up with a pretty pile of insanely unreliable junk as a result.

As for Subaru, I am close to the brand and we have had several in the family over the years. The problems you described were recognized by the company and they took steps to up the quality, the supply of replacement parts and the availability of the techs to fix things. They were not happy about the small reliability things that you and others experienced. I think you will find that your new Crosstrek gives you many many miles of trouble free fun. Congrats and enjoy it!

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
It worked really well and it might end up saving my life or my families life.

It may also end up saving the back wall of your garage. don't ask how I know. Eek Big Grin

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I came close to a Crosstrek when I got my Mazda 3 hatchback a few months ago. I like the ground clearance.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at a Crosstrek as my next vehicle (though I'll probably keep my truck as well). The grey is my favorite color. A very good friend has the Khaki which looks pretty cool too. Would look better with a 50 on a pintle mount, though.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I may do the same thing with the Jeep, keep it for a beater go anywhere (LOCAL, lol) truck and look for something a bit more fun for the nice days. It's nice to have some options to think about.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Wait for the 2018 Crosstrek. It will incorporate all the new goodies and tech found on the 2017 Impreza. Should be available this summer for ordering and will be in showrooms around October.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My wife had a Crosstrek for a couple years. She liked everything about it, except that it was noticeably underpowered. I especially appreciated the added ground clearance and head room, compared to the Impreza.

She wanted to trade it in towards a more powerful Subaru last summer. I tried to talk her into a Turbo Forester, to keep the ground clearance and extra headroom while adding some power. But she ended up swapping it for a WRX. She's a lot happier with the WRX, but the WRX is pretty cramped for me, and the seat has to be positioned just right to keep me from scraping my head on the roof when climbing in and out of it, or hitting my head on the roof when she hits a bump in the road.

If they offered a Crosstrek WRX, we could both be happy. Big Grin

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
We drove a Crosstrek last year when looking for a new car. I really liked it, even in that garrish orange color. My wife really liked the Mazda CX-5, so that's what we now drive Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
My sister just bought my niece a 2017 grey Forester premium as a reward for getting into med school at UofL. Now my wife wants one and it wouldn't bother me if she went that direction although I really like her Acura TSX wagon.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
They are very well built for reliability but interior quality is horrendous.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My wife just bought a 2017 white forrester xt, I love it except for the front seats. They offer the same support as a park bench, the xt should have somthing similar to the wrx.

Mileage is not great....but hey its a turbo charged awd wagon Big Grin in sport + mode the transmission almost acts like a good automatic with the paddle shifters and it can move.... Wink

I just wish we actually got snow so I could truly enjoy it.

Great sleeper

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Subaru's have simply never "spoken" to me. Same for Buicks, Oldsmobiles and a few other makes. They simply seem to me like cookie cutter cars, sold by Wal-Mart. They are probably good value for the price, but simply do NOTHING for me.

I have done long trips twice in Subaru's, and both times the front seats were terrible. Within a few hrs my ass hurt.

To me they are the Rambler of our time. Short of the WRX.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
I had two Subarus, a 2004 Forester XT and a 05 Outback XT. They both had the same issues: 1) cheap paint and 2) headgasket problems. They were otherwise rock solid.

Replacement Tommel- say, what was the Subaru "fix" for the headgasket problems? In the family we had several people who drove Subarus and they all had the head gasket leak problems. Supposedly all the dealer did was put in a little bottle of sealer... (And jacked the people around for months). Was the fix more than this?

Thanks-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post