SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which leatherman do you recommend?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which leatherman do you recommend? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
Yeah, I know, I’m late to the party.
Assume that, like me, you are retired and only need homeowner specific tools on a leatherman.
Which model would you choose? Which tools are the must have ones. Which ones perform poorly or you found out that you’ve never needed?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The Leatherman Wave. I pull it out at least once every day. Rarely a day goes by without using it. Get the bit kit to go along with it and you will be set. I've tried probably all of the multitools (Gerber, SOG, Victorinox, etc) and this is the one I have settled on. Close second is the Skeletool, but the Wave edges it out for me.

https://www.leatherman.com/wav...=10&cgid=new#start=1

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I daily carry the Skeletool. All I need, small and light. And I also own the original, original mini, and the wave. All collect dust.
I also carry a knipex pliers wrench. 5" model, comes in handy.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
My Skeletool CX is my edc utility knife/tool. I also have the bit set in my backpack. Covers most simple tasks well.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supertool 300 EOD. Is my personal favorite - I swapped a punch for the spike on mine. I also keep a Leatherman Crunch in the truck, but they have been discontinued.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Leatherman Wave. I've had the exact same one on my belt for the last 8 years, with exceptions only for air travel, and it still works just as well today as the day I bought it. I occasionally touch up the knife edges and add a drop of oil every once in an while and that's about it.

I wouldn't say I use it every single day, but multiple times per week at a minimum. The Bit kit gets less use, but fits into the same pouch, and when I have a need for it, it's proven invaluable.

Posts: 279 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Love my Wave. I got it for being in a friends wedding and love it. Carry it everyday at work.
I have broken the knife blade a couple times and they replaced it no questions asked.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up going with the Leatherman Surge a few months ago.

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I daily carried and often used a Gerber multi-tool when in the military. As a retiree (going on 15yrs) I just don't find I need or enjoy wearing tools on my belt around the house. I find a set of individual "real" tools (and knives and saws and files) to perform best and are especially handy around the house for a retiree. Maybe a Leatherman in my Jeep would work but I have a set of tools there too. My Gerber multi-tool lives in retirement.

But if you're set on a leatherman ... that Wave sure looks nice.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
Love my Wave. I got it for being in a friends wedding and love it. Carry it everyday at work.
I have broken the knife blade a couple times and they replaced it no questions asked.

I have the Wave as well. Works great.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wingman. A little lighter for pocket carry.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I carry Wingman a bit more often than the others.
My collection suddenly grew to FIVE different models, all of which are a delight & have a bit different focus.

Even the tiny 'Squirt' at times is pocket carry.

My actual 'real tool' model is the Splurge (see what I did there?)with all the trimmings. Actually proved to be a bit more ponderous to carry around, but it's close at hand, and I prefer to use it's life sized tools.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Have carried a Orginal(PST ?) Leatherman since at least the mid 1990"s. Lost a couple over the years but quickly replaced. Seen many other brands but always returned to the Leatherman due to size and weight and cost as compared to the other multi tools. ............................ drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The Schrade ST10 not made by Leatherman.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Whichever one you won't lose. I swear I'm on my third one in five years.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Wingman. I bought one of these kydex carriers and really like it Whichever you decide on take a look at the Clip and Carry.

Clip And Carry

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Rally like my Wave. Awesome tool, and it used to save me trips to the toolbox daily. I had an incident a few years ago where it fell out of the pouch and I almost lost it, so it's now relegated to backpacking duty and lives in my pack. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good belt case for a wave? The letterman branded one with the velcro-closed top and elastic sides has proven not to be a good option, and I'd love to get back to carrying mine again.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have owned many Leatherman and other's multi-tools. There are a lot of excellent tools available, for a variety of needs.

My favorite for the past 15+ years has been the Leatherman Wave.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Recently up sized to the Supertool. If you find you are using the pliers the most it’s a good sized pliers. The knife is less handy on this style but I like the smooth outside.

Figure out which tools are the most often needed and use that as your guide.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The EOD tool version. You never know when a C4 spike will come in handy.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post