SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple's iOS: This Will Take Some Getting Used To
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple's iOS: This Will Take Some Getting Used To Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Transitioning from Android to iThings. Just found out how iOS deals with files. It's... "different," I'll say that. Quite a paradigm shift. Unlike anything with which I've ever worked before.

It's probably going to frustrate the bejesus out of me Razz

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Dealing with files in OS X is pretty straight forward. Which app do you use for files in IOS? I mainly use the simple built-in Notes app.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Lol when I first got an iPad I wanted to throw it against a wall. I had to just put it down and fool around with it later. Now I can breeze through all sorts of idevices. I bought a Mac Air and figured that since I knew how to work an iPhone the Mac would be easy. Let's just say I had to work on that in spurts also Wink

After using PC's since 1999 and completely switching over two years ago I'll never go back. I found the worst thing for me was that I overthought things. I'd google how to perform something and go "duh" no kidding, that's simple. I can do everything on my Mac now, even use Citrix to access the company website.

Although I am most definitely not a power user, in either PC or Apple.

Good luck!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did the same thing in December. I hate how the apple stays in whatever it was in....like if you go to search contacts it still has the same name and you have to go back and delete it.....if you want to go to the middle of a text to delete a word, you can never get it in the right spot and there are no left or right arrows like Android.... some annoying things.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Dealing with files in OS X is pretty straight forward. Which app do you use for files in IOS? I mainly use the simple built-in Notes app.

OS X ≠ iOS. OS X is Unix at its core, and uses a traditional directory/file structure. iOS does all file handling by "file type association" and sandboxes files by type/purpose. They're essentially irrevocably associated with the app(s) that use them.

I'll be using the built-in Notes app. It'll work well enough. Problem is: No way I've been able to find to import my existing notes. *sigh* So it'll be copy-n-paste using the web interface to iCloud.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Lol when I first got an iPad I wanted to throw it against a wall. I had to just put it down and fool around with it later. Now I can breeze through all sorts of idevices.

Eh, it is what it is. I've really no choice. It's either iThings or back to a dumb phone.

quote:
I bought a Mac Air and figured that since I knew how to work an iPhone the Mac would be easy.

Ha! No. I've worked on Mac OS X before. Don't care for Aqua, but, it was "normal-ish."

quote:
After using PC's since 1999 and completely switching over two years ago I'll never go back. I found the worst thing for me was that I overthought things. I'd google how to perform something and go "duh" no kidding, that's simple.

*nod* I know that's one danger. But, in other cases, Apple simply does not give you a way.

E.g.: Near as I can tell: The only way to get my own music into iTunes is to use an MS-Win or Mac iTunes app. Yeah... that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Tho I am kinda toying with the idea of eventually making this dual-role desktop/server a server only, in the basement, and putting a Mac Mini on my desktop Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I just did the same thing in December. I hate how the apple stays in whatever it was in....like if you go to search contacts it still has the same name and you have to go back and delete it...

At other times that paradigm can be handy. Like when I go to refile email into folders. I was pleased it remembers the last folder I put email from so-and-so in, and offers that as a shortcut suggestion.

quote:
..if you want to go to the middle of a text to delete a word, you can never get it in the right spot and there are no left or right arrows like Android.... some annoying things.

As of iOS 10 you can treat the stock keyboard like a touchpad. Did you know that?

As for the arrows under Android: Yeah... not always and not always easily accessible, depending upon the Android flavour, customization, what keyboard you're running, the phase of the moon, whether it's raining or Monday, etc.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
there are no left or right arrows
What do you mean "no left or right arrows?"

Of course there are left and right arrows, at least on the standard iOS keyboard. They look like < and >

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
The OSX Daily site has good tips about the workings and idiosyncrasies of iOS:

http://osxdaily.com/tag/ios/

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Of course there are left and right arrows, at least on the standard iOS keyboard. They look like < and >

Those are less-than and greater-than symbols. I believe he meant left- and right-cursor movement keys?

On a small display, with "big" fingers, maybe less-than-perfect eyesight or hand/eye coordination, moving the cursor a few characters to the left or right can be an exceedingly frustrating exercise. Especially when the UI seems to want to "snap" the cursor to word boundaries.

It annoyed the daylights out of me on Android. It looks like it'll be equally annoying on iOS. I was happy to read of the touchpad functionality that iOS 10 added to its keyboard, but, it's keyboard doesn't have flow (aka: "swipe") typing, so I replaced it with Gboard. (The only Google thing I plan to use.)

That was before I knew about the split keyboard in landscape mode. Maybe I'll put the native keyboard back.

Audioholic: Thanks for the pointer. I'll look at it later.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just did the same thing in December. I hate how the apple stays in whatever it was in....like if you go to search contacts it still has the same name and you have to go back and delete it.....if you want to go to the middle of a text to delete a word, you can never get it in the right spot and there are no left or right arrows like Android.... some annoying things.

The lack of cursor control really annoyed me on the iPad and iPhone until someone showed me that with two fingers the whole keyboard is treated as a trackpad and you have much better cursor control.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:

Those are less-than and greater-than symbols. I believe he meant left- and right-cursor movement keys?
Those symbols, which are to the right of the keyboard when the iPhone is held in landscape mode (they are not there in portrait mode), move the cursor left and right. Try it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So why are you dumping Android for Eyefone?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When you have your iPhone connected, and iTunes running, click on Apps in iTunes, then scroll to the bottom. You will find the apps that permit file transfer from OS X to iOS. You can drag files to this interface to make them go to the iPhone's application.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I just switched from Android to iPhone myself, and the word different does come up a lot. But it seems to work much simpler, and so far I like the change.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy when turning the computer on not having to wait until the daily updates run their course.

That's just one of the things I don't miss.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Answer in a new thread, so as not to derail this one.

Which turned out to have been a mistake

Follow-ups to those comments here, if you're so-inclined, and apologies for the snafu.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Those symbols, which are to the right of the keyboard when the iPhone is held in landscape mode (they are not there in portrait mode), move the cursor left and right. Try it.

I'd first have to put back the stock iOS keyboard.

Haven't had much time to play, since you posted that. Maybe tonight.

Thing is: I really like flow typing. iOS's keyboard doesn't do that. And, while I really am trying to dump All Things Google (I won't even use Chrome or their search engine), Gboard is a pretty good keyboard. (And I've got "report to the mothership" turned off.) Gboard also has better prediction.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Answer in a new thread, so as not to derail this one.

Which turned out to have been a mistake

Follow-ups to those comments here, if you're so-inclined, and apologies for the snafu.

No, just curious ~ will save it for another day.
Carry on and good luck. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
OS X ≠ iOS.

Yes, and no. When you jailbreak an iOS device, and thus have access to the underlying file system, you will find it is almost identical in structure to OS X, with plist files and all. And a terminal session (via ssh) is a thinned down version, upon which you can add the traditional unix utilities. But, as it comes from Apple, yes, it is sandboxed, with a bow.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, just curious ~ will save it for another day.
Carry on and good luck. Frown

Fair enough.

It's a decision I've been battling with for quite some time. Made all the more difficult by having somewhere between $75 and $100 invested in Android apps Frown I simply could no longer ignore the problem.

I suspect even Google recognizes Android is untenable, going forward. (Though, IMO, Android's problems aren't a result of running a Linux microkernel, but, of the way in which the entire ecosystem is structured.)