SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dogs and grease
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogs and grease Login/Join 
posted
When I have bacon grease or hamburger grease I'll heat some up and put it on the dogs food. Of course they know the routine and go nuts when I'm heating it up. They inhale their food and proceed to lick their bowls spotless. They immediately go into a happy trance and drag their faces across the area rugs or their beds when finished. This goes on for several minutes while they enjoy their trance. It's pretty funny to watch them, but I have no clue as to why they do it. Just a happy dance or is it more than that?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SIL Vet professor says that makes the dogs happy to get something yummy.
All is well and good until they get this thing called pancreatitis.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
My SIL Vet professor says that makes the dogs happy to get something yummy.
All is well and good until they get this thing called pancreatitis.

We lost a Lab to pancreatitis and have never given any of our Dogs any human food since then.

That said, my FIL, gave his Dog table scraps every evening and she lived to a ripe old age.

However, the best story is my Stepdad and our Irish Setter, Lizzie. They were best buds and Lizzie lived to be 14. Bob (my Stepdad loved UDF Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream). Bob would eat that ice cream every evening and shared it with Lizzie, one spoonful for Bob, one spoonful for Lizzie...............Yes, of course it was the same spoon. My Stepdad will be 90 next week.

Claire now enjoys Frosty Paws (Dog ice cream) every evening. She thinks it is da' bomb, but she has never tasted bacon grease.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
At least according to our Vet, it's the salt that hurts them the most.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I had a hot new girlfriend back in the early 90s and a young tiny toy poodle strayed into her mama's yard and then came to my house so we could find it a home. You guessed it...Ol Scooter was my roadie for the next 15 years. Play the old Lowell George song, Willin and you know what Scooter was about.

Back in those days I was just off a rotten divorce but I was rolling again and living large. Early 40s, had a modest but nice house with a world class backyard. We had a lot of cookouts and a steak went Scooter's way, baked potato, too. I drank scotch and water in a rocks glass and Scoot would help himself to it when he got a chance. Bad news, pancreatitis. Dog was young and tough or it would have got him. It took several units of blood or whatever fluid they use, the doc said it was an extraordinary amount for a 10 lb dog, 3 days at the vets and a big bill.

Scooter lived to a ripe old age but his diet changed to baked boneless skinless chicken breast/lofat chedder cheese and we both got in a 12 step program.

I've continued to feed my dogs chicken breast and cheese, with the blessing of Shively Animal Clinic, and at age 9 and 12 both are thriving.

Scooter a few days before the trip to Rainbow Bridge and Barney at about 2 years.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post