SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric lawnmower experience
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric lawnmower experience Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Neighbor is going through analysis paralysis right now on the same subject, seems though to narrowed it down to the Kobalt brand, probably the 80 self propelled.

Another has an Ego and it's developed drive control problems, runs in WFO mode only. It's going back for repair, EGO warranty repairs can take up to 4 weeks according to EGO FYI.

You can elect to buy an extended warranty on the Kobalt at Lowes, battery replacements are at 50% off, and since the 80 batteries are north of $300 each, it would be wise to have.

Whatever you get, if you'll need a string trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer etc be sure you get that same line for battery swapping.

I have the ego in the string trimmer and blower, the units have lasted 4 years, and I've had one battery fail after 3 years and they warranty replaced it.

Electric isn't free energy, sure you don't have to store fuel, oil and change it, but you do have to charge the batteries and the replacement cost can be $150 to $300 plus each.

Still, I think E tools are the way to go, cordless electric is much better to run, quieter, cooler, light, and no fuel to mess with.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My 15 yr old Honda died, with a puff of black smoke as it ran out of gas, over the weekend when I was about 90% done with the front yard.
Seems like it's getting no compression, as it seems to spin pretty freely when trying to pull start

Debating on which way to go, jump into the electric mower, or try to find a reasonably priced gasser.

Thought I'd found a great deal on a Kobalt, but found out it's not the self-propelled model. Not sure I want a manual push mower for the 1/3 acre I have t o mow (less the space the house takes).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have been using corded electric mowers for about fifty years now. In Northwest Oregon, you have to wait for a few dry days to mow your yard and the grass may get long and lay down. A Corded electric mower spins fast enough to pull up the longer grass and cut it even if it is a little wet.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
What's the best way to maintain the battery on these mowers? I just got the 56v EGO self-propelled model. Should I leave it on the charger which seems to run continually or shut off the charger after a full charge is reached?

Never mind. I notice that the charger shut down fan after full charge was reached.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MRMATT,

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a craftsman for 6 or 7 years. It could cut most of the yard before it crapped out. I had to replace the batteries 2 times at about 300 bucks a pop. My Gas operated Troy Built with a Honda gas motor keeps on going and going. I only take it in every other year for a tune up.

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
If you mow over the cord, it will stop running (My experience with electric lawn mowers is from the 1960's...)

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 501 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just moved from a house on a half acre lot to one with 1.6 acres. Definitely needed a new mower and after taking 2 and a half hours to mow the new yard with the old push mower I knew I needed something to ride on.

I bought a Ryobi electric zero turn mower and am able to mow the new yard in about an hour. Its got plenty of power and has about 55% battery life left at the end of the job. It stays plugged in when not in use and the charger keeps the batteries charged as needed. Its pretty slick and I'm very pleased with it thus far. Had it about a month and no issues at all. Provided the batteries last a long time it will have been a good choice.

I also bought several EGO battery powered tools, including their self propelled battery powered lawn mower. Its the 56V model and I use it to get the side hill that I'm afraid to do with the zero turn and other small areas of the yard. I also have used it to mow the old yard a few times as well. Its main battery can last about an hour and I can mow the entire half acre lot at the old house with a full battery charge on the main battery. I have 2 smaller batteries for the other tools that also fit in the mower and so if I run out of the main battery I can toss one of those in to finish up.

Those other batteries go with my EGO blower, string trimmer and stick edger. The blower and the string trimmer are fantastic, the stick edger is powerful enough but by design they just aren't as convenient as my old walk behind edger.

So far I have been very pleased with the power and performance of these EGO tools and the Ryobi zero turn. My main reason for switching to battery powered tools was to not have to worry about storing ethanol free gas in my garage for the generator and all the yard tools. New house has a natural gas back up generator so I am going to have very little need to store gasoline any more. I just hope that all these batteries and chargers last enough years to make it worth the investment.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post