SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric lawnmower experience
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric lawnmower experience Login/Join 
posted
Ever own one? Bout time to replace my old gasser. Don’t have a huge yard. Suggestions, comments advice?

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the lawn mowers, but the 56 volt EGO blower works really well and after 3 years of weekly use for 25-30 mins still going great.

Here's an older thread on the lawn mower:

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1360026524/p/1

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I have a Kobalt 80V and really like it a lot. I opted for the non self-propelled version. My lot is level, I only have 1/3 acre and it's lighter weight than a gas burner. The non self-propelled works fine for me and battery lasts longer than I imagine a self-propelled one would.

I'm happy with the battery life. I have just under about half the battery left when done mowing and it charges pretty quick although I've never timed it or had a need to.

The electric mower does not mulch as well as a gas burner. Just not as powerful. I still use my gas mower when leaves are heavy in the lawn or sticks and twigs have fallen after a storm.

The electric mower performs best when grass is cut regularly and before it gets real tall. The electric mower hums along until it reaches thick heavy grass and then effortlessly and automatically ups the rpms to power through ... but of course higher rpms is less battery life, so cut more often. Your battery will thank you and the lawn will look great.

I'm only on my second season with the electric mower and don't know how long the battery will actually last. Here in the deep south, I have to cut virtually year round and I haven't noticed any battery degradation yet. I expect to get at least 5 or 6 years out of the battery but won't know until I get there I guess.

The electric is of course much MUCH quieter than a gas burner. Each neighbor around me has at one time or another commented on how quiet the electric mower is. To me, it sounds somewhat like a vacuum cleaner.

So, circumstance and expectations are considerations when choosing between electric and gas. The gas mower is a beast when needed and the electric takes care of normal and routine without a hitch. I love the convenience of the electric. Pull back the handle, press a button and go.

My gas mower is 14 years old (Craftsman) and still starts on first pull but I use the Kobalt electric 90% of the time.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I bought the 56volt ego last week. I like how light and quiet it is. Battery seems pretty good. I don’t like how it cuts the grass. It seems to Miss a lot of high grass. I also had to put it on the lowest setting to get it to make a difference. I’m not sure I would do it again. For a small yard I guess it’s ok.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
The Kobalt 80V doesn't miss grass like ruger357 talked about, but again, the electric just doesn't have the power to mulch as well as a gas mower. I have never used a bagger with my gas mower but I wouldn't cut my grass without a bagger on the electric.

Height adjustment is easy peasy with the Kobalt. Just one handle for all 4 wheels and the height change is effortless and only takes a second. I have both the gas and Kobalt electric set to the same approximate height and never change it on the gas but do on the Kobalt but only where half the mower wheels are on grass and the other two wheels are on the curb. I move the deck up a notch to keep from scalping. Height change on the electric really is convenient.

EDIT: Kobalt also makes a 40V but I wouldn't even consider it. While I'm happy with the 80V, I just think the 40V MIGHT COULD BE under powered and disappointing for my yard. But that's just a guess from using the 80V. I'll also add that if you have lots of pine cones in your yard, you'd probably want to pick them up before running an electric mower through the yard. My gas mower handles them, but the electric not so much. Luckily, I had all the pines removed last October so it's no longer an issue.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought one (yet), but with all the research I've done to date, everything I've found points to Kobalt 80V as a great option.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I just bought one last month, a Ryobi 40 volt self-propelled model. I went into Home Depot planning to shell out the $$$ for a Honda gas job, but the salesperson talked me into the Ryobi. So far it's working great. Used it twice now. The single battery lasts long enough to do the front and back yards without getting weak. There's a slot in the mower for a 2nd battery to double the run time, but I haven't needed to get one. Which is fine with me because the batteries are about $150 a pop. I paid $400 for the mower. The Honda would have been $700 or $800. I have noticed that the suction seems a little weaker than what my old Toro gas mower generated (doesn't pick up and chop sticks laying on the ground as well), but overall I'm happy with it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I bought the EGo 56 volt. $450.00 at Home Depot after the 10% veteran discount*.

I got the self-propelled model. The non-self-propelled was less $$, but at 83 years old, there are a few places on my relatively small property where I can use the boost. Most of the time I do not press the self-propelled lever, it's easy enough to push on level ground.

It does a fine job of cutting. The battery tends to outlast me, it has never run flat. Most of the time I need to take a rest break part way through the job, so I put the battery on the charger while I cool down and catch my breath.

In the past, I have owned gas mowers and corded electric. If I ever had to buy another mower it would definitely be a battery powered one, probably EGo.
*NOTE: Unlike Lowes, which required me to jump through all sorts of hoops to get a card with their veteran discount, the Home Depot cashier just glanced at my Driver License, which has the Veteran indicator.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I have a couple neighbors that have one, unsure of brand/model. Very quiet & seems to cut petty well.

My Honda (at least 15 years old & on it's 2nd engine) has intermittent self-propel failure & the occasional puff of smoke. So, something like this may be in my future as well. 1/3 (total, including the house) acre to mow & takes about 1.5 tanks of gas to finish currently.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
All the replies refer to cordless mowers. If your lawn is that small, I'd think about a corded mower and I suspect that's what you're talking about. A lot cheaper too! I grew up using a corded mower (Black and Decker) on our small yard and in all the years I used it, I never had a problem (except for my friends making fun of me when I was out "vacuuming my lawn") Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
23 year old Black and Decker cordless still going strong - on its original batteries no less.

I endorse cordless electric lawn care equipment. Significantly more practical than an electric car, in my view.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
I have a small yard and a corded mower works great. Not really an issue mowing with a cord if you use common sense. No problems with power at all, unlike some battery powered mowers. Last summer I let the back yard go a bit, think knee high in places, and my mower cut it down no problems. Bags, mulch or side eject. I mostly use the mulch feature. Mower is a Greenworks, 20 inch 12 amp.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
My yards are very small. I got the Ryobi 40v push mower, blower, hedge trimmer and weedeater/edger combo last summer. Super quiet and light. My only complaint is that sometimes there will be a blade or two of St. Augustine sticking up, uncut. Also, I did have one battery go bad after just a few months.

Previously I was using a gas mower and everything else was corded. This has been a major improvement.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The ex-wife is getting our Honda gas mower, and my new house is only going to have something like .11ish acre of sod, so I'm seriously considering a battery-powered mower.

I'm already heavily invested in Ryobi's 18V line for power tools and other lawn equipment, and their 16" 18V mower (runs using two 18V batteries) gets good reviews for use on small lawns. Seems to have a surprising amount of power, even when mulching tall grass. And since I already have a bunch of batteries, the bare tool (no batteries included) is only $199.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RY...uded-P1111/207150002

I figure I'll give that a shot, and if it turns out for some reason that I hate it, it has a 90 day money back satisfaction guarantee. I'll just return it and put the money towards my usual Honda gas mower.

But if you have a larger lot and/or you're not already invested in the 18V batteries, I'd look at the bigger 40V or 56V offerings from Ego/Ryobi/etc.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After running my 50 home lawn business by myself for 12 yrs I quit and now have a lawn service that takes care of it. including keeping two Golden Maylan coconut trees (40 ft tall), two Queen palms, two pygmy date palms, two large clumps of Areca palms trimmed. Don't own any lawn equipment anymore!

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the sthil at the office, it works great for a small yard, I have the trimmer and blower that use the same batteries. My buddy has the Makita at home and it does just fine for him.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for responses. I have about 1/3 acre. The Kobalt 80 sounds like it might work.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Here's an excellent review of about all the well know brands.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want an electric non self propelled mower but I don't want to spend over $350. I've been thinking about the Ryobi 40V or the Kobalt 40v. I just have the average small size yard that's common in most subdivisions these days. I just don't know if these will last a solid 30min and give a good cut.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. Seriously considering a cordless after reading responses. I’m 71 with a bad back and tired of yanking on starter cords. Annual tune ups seem to get closer together.

The idea of no longer messing with oil, fuel etc is appealing. I have about a 1/4 acre to mow.

The description of the Kobalt unit changing speeds to deal with high grass is appealing. I have been skeptical of a battery power mower’s abilities but it sounds like they are up to the job.

I live in the Texas Hill country and some of the property is close to natural state. Although I have cleared the grassy areas of rocks, they seem to “grow” or materialize from nowhere. I suspect deer inadvertently kick them into the grassy patches when moving through.

Despite rock reconnaissance efforts sometimes the mower finds them. The old gasser tolerates the sudden thumps quite well. Hope the electrics can too.