SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pet food as emergency rations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pet food as emergency rations Login/Join 
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, and didn't know better, I would share a few kibbles of Purina Dog Chow with our Great Dane. Look how I turned out.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"The proof is in the poop™"

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Willie Nelson ate dog food in a movie I watched years ago.

Probably 20 years ago.

I think that was a Miami Vice episode.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Intergalactic Firearms Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
he and a buddy chartered a float plane every year to take them to a remote lake in Canada. The plane would return to pick them up after a week or so. He told me that he always took a bag of cat food for emergency rations.
Obviously he ain't much of a fisherman. Or at least he doesn't think he is.

PersonalDefenseTraining.net

Posts: 100 | Registered: May 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
While I've never eaten any dry cat or dog food myself. I've had a few grandkids that were known to perform quality control checks from time to time.
Must not have been that good because they never ate more then a few pieces.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pemmican over cat food here, thanks anyway.

Posts: 427 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There’s the story about the guy checking out at the supermarket.

The nosy woman in line behind him noticed a box of dog biscuits, and asked, “do you have a dog?”

“No,” the guy replied. “I’m trying to lose weight. I keep a few of these in my pocket and if I get hungry I eat one, instead of getting junk food. These are high protein, low calorie. It works pretty well, but I did wind up in the hospital once.”

“What happened, did the dog biscuits make you sick?” the woman asked.

“No. I stepped off the curb to sniff a poodle’s ass, and got hit by a car.”

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't, there are losts of other choices in the woods, my woods anyway.

If I was dtermined that I needed pet food I'd call the company and ask about various and sundry stuff that would kill me that might be in there, bone fragments, offal, who knows?

Eating it once you might be fine if you didn't hurl so hard you flew around the room backwards, got a concussion, lost your memory and walked off a cliff, but who needs to take those kind of chances?

Posts: 6394 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I don't know. It all seems fishy to me...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When you ask the blessing over dinner it goes, "the Lord is my German Shepherd, I shall not want......"

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Willie Nelson ate dog food in a movie I watched years ago.

Probably 20 years ago.

I think that was a Miami Vice episode.

You are most probably correct.

20 years ?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Philip K. Dick, the science fiction author, is reported to have eaten pet food. Whether that was because of poverty or mental instabilty is open.

As for the vet, why not take Dinte Moore Beef Stew or Sue Bee Chicken and Dumplings? Kipper snacks? Smoked oysters? Vienna Sausages? Beef Jerky? I think that he is joking.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Philip K. Dick, the science fiction author, is reported to have eaten pet food. Whether that was because of poverty or mental instabilty is open.

As for the vet, why not take Dinte Moore Beef Stew or Sue Bee Chicken and Dumplings? Kipper snacks? Smoked oysters? Vienna Sausages? Beef Jerky? I think that he is joking.

Maybe he has cat scratch fever?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes no sense to me. The emergency ration bars are more calorically dense as well as small and fairly light. They taste a lot better than cat food as well.

Freeze dried is lightest of all and taste great, just need water.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
It sounds like his fisherman friends are either cheap skates or they need to start chartering a bigger seaplane. I keep a case of MRE’s in the life raft closets in the back of the jet for a just in case.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
When you ask the blessing over dinner it goes, "the Lord is my German Shepherd, I shall not want......"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is NO WAY in hell I would purposefully eat cat or dog food. NO WAY. The canned stuff, is THE MOST disgusting smelling crap I have ever smelled, and if that doesn't win you over, just read the ingredients.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I once called a dog food company to ask whether their dry food ingredients were human food grade. I was assured that it was and would be perfectly safe. I replied that was great because I wanted to pack kibble as snacks for the kids on a camping trip. The poor woman had a stroke and immediately switched to begging me not to do that, saying that it was really not meant for people.

I really shouldn't be so mean to the unsuspecting.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, packaged food companies sell non marketable waste food to pet food companies. It is called "certa". It is generally either wrongly formulated or possibly incorrectly processed. It is incorporated into their dry pet foods. Most is of grain origins. Not saying I would eat pet food but many ingredients contained therein are not so removed from our daily diets.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
"The proof is in the poop™"

Bon Mot!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post