SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pet food as emergency rations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pet food as emergency rations Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
When I lived in Minnesota, I took my cats to a veterinarian that was an avid fisherman. Besides fishing in MN, he and a buddy chartered a float plane every year to take them to a remote lake in Canada. The plane would return to pick them up after a week or so. He told me that he always took a bag of cat food for emergency rations. He said that the nutrition to weight ratio was unbeatable. And it would keep good for a long time. I'm wondering how it tastes. Has anyone tried it?

Speaking of MN fishing, I don't know of any fresh water fish as good as walleye. I've found one restaurant here in San Diego, Red Tracton's, that has walleye on the menu. But it's been frozen, and can't compare to walleye just out of Lake Superior.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It would have to be an emergency before I ate any. It smells foul.

Lots of protein, I'd guess. I don't really know, but maybe you'd want more carbohydrates for the quicker conversion to fuel for emergency rations?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'd rather pack a few cans of tuna - good protein and it tastes good.
I'm sure the standards for pet food are lower than that for humans.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I heard some wild ass shit in this 75 years on this planet.
I suppose poor fishermen would have to resort to eating damn cat food,there are so many zip pack of food to carry and he elects to carry cat food.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you can eat it but it would have to be the last resort before I would want to.

I wouldn't pack it as an emergency ration. Instead, I would take some Mountain House meals or peanut butter. Lots of better options IMHO.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Not cat food related, but when we lived in upstate New York when I was a kid, the neighbor kids across the street (maybe just the boys) ate friggin' milk bone dog biscuits as a snack. Don't even ask me why.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What brand are you thinking of taking? Purina Pro Plan or Plan B?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'd rather eat the cat.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it would keep you alive in an emergency situation...but I'm with jhe888 on this one...it wouldn't be palatable at all IMHO...plus if you did eat it...how long would it take it to get out of your system for you to overcome the maddening desire to bolt out of bed at 2:00 in the morning and run like a wild something from room to room? Just 'sayin.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It would have to be an emergency before I ate any. It smells foul fowl.

Lots of protein, I'd guess. I don't really know, but maybe you'd want more carbohydrates for the quicker conversion to fuel for emergency rations?

FTFY

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
worked for Mad Max.

You might get the urge to try to lick your balls to get the taste out of your mouth though.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Maybe he was planning to sprinkle that shit around the cabin to attract something worth eating?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Maybe he was planning to sprinkle that shit around the cabin to attract something worth eating?

Hunting over bait. That'll work!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe for the zombie apocalypse, but not for any "normal" emergency situation.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
In my backpack/daypack I kept a pack of Snausages in there as my emergency food. You wouldn't want to eat it otherwise.

I've sampled dog food and cat food. Not really tasty and it's very gritty, as least the dry is. The wet food will keep you alive so look at it for what it will do for you instead of what it is.

Eating that food isn't so far fetched if you remember biology class - Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

Us and Fido have a lot in common.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I'm sure it would keep you alive in an emergency situation...but I'm with jhe888 on this one...it wouldn't be palatable at all IMHO...plus if you did eat it...how long would it take it to get out of your system for you to overcome the maddening desire to bolt out of bed at 2:00 in the morning and run like a wild something from room to room? Just 'sayin.

And poop and pee in a sandbox........?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
There was a lady in the supermarket that bought cat/dog food and a neighbor reported she didn't own any pets.
The ground dog food was being made into a meatloaf.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I think your Minnesota vet has a great sense of humor !!

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't avid fishermen have fish to eat?

quote:
I think your Minnesota vet has a great sense of humor !!

Next time you're in his office, take a small bag of food and shake it. See if he comes running.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Willie Nelson ate dog food in a movie I watched years ago.

Probably 20 years ago.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post