SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    End of an era... no more Toys R US
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of an era... no more Toys R US Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the aisles of unsold Star Wars toys didn't help matters over the last couple years.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee; I am old enough to remember when Toys R Us first opened, and I remember thinking, "I wonder if there is really a market for way overpriced toys, just because they are all gathered together in one store?"

Apparently not. I am really amazed they survived as long as they did!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Sad end to an American icon.

I have many memories from my childhood that had Toys R Us in it.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yeah the one by me is totally empty. Sad.

When I was a kid there was no greater excitement than a trip to Toys R Us. (which didn't happen often, we were not a well off family)

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a...toys-r-us-to-donate/

Apparently, someone bought $1M of toys from them to give to charity at the last moment.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shopping for toys online is lame. Kids want to see toys in person, not little pictures of them on a website. Yeah, the internet is more convenient and sometimes cheaper but it makes for a boring shopping experience. R.I.P. Toys R Us, you'll be missed.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I worked for a marketing company in the mid 90's. We represented various manufacturers in several retailers. TRU was where some of our biggest accounts were. We represented Fisher Price, Buena Vista, Little Tykes, Bandai, Sega, Lisa Frank, and many others that my brain isn't pulling up now.
TRU was struggling a bit then, but nothing like after the buyout in '05. I believe the rise of Wal-Mart did way more damage to TRU than the interwebs ever did. As noted by Sigspecops above, kids want to shop for toys in person.
Although I haven't worked for that marketing company for more than 20 years, watching the decline of TRU has been sad. For a kid they were a Mecca of sorts. Sad.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
For a kid they were a Mecca of sorts. Sad.

Yes they were. Man, there was nothing better than a trip to Toys R' Us.

There was one fatal flaw in their business model though. The kids don't hold the credit cards. I would've bought the whole store if I could.

Babies are where the money is, not kids. I'm guessing Babies R' Us is still doing ok...?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
My wife and son visited our local Toy 'R Us store and had the pleasure of being the last customer ever for that store. The store employees took pictures of them as they checked out. Right after the transaction, the register was powered off and un-plugged, and the door locked behind them. Kind of weird.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
We had them in and around Pittsburgh (maybe 25 miles away). Like others here, maybe everywhere, growing up in the late 70s early 80s, money was tight. Christmas and Birthdays were when you got ANY toys at all. And K-Mart, Murphys or Montgomery Wards was where they came from. I'm pretty sure Wards ONLY had toys on the shelves at Christmas.

Posts: 11380 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Babies are where the money is, not kids. I'm guessing Babies R' Us is still doing ok...?

Not sure about that. They were the same company. Lot's of Babies R' Us stores were downsized a while ago and sections were carved out in existing TRU's for a BRU section. The closest store to my area was a smaller 30k store. Years ago there was a remodel where about 25-30% of the store became BRU. A couple of weeks ago I went in and the BRU section had been expanded to close to 40% of the store.
You are correct in that textiles are probably more lucrative than the other product they carried in a corporate buying train of thought. It just was way too little and way too late to save them.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
My first job was at Babies R Us back in 2001. I can tell you for certain that BRU was holding the entire company afloat back then and got worse after 9/11. Kids R Us was the biggest money loser in the company, and it wasn't clothing that was the money maker, but all the furniture, car seats, strollers, etc. was bringing in the money.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Had an old Atari console I bought there. Would go there from time to time whenever I had the money to buy another cartridge for it. That thing would be a collectors item now.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm among the Sears & Roebuck Christmas catalogue era. My brother and I couldn't wait to get the catalogue and start our "wish list". For me, that's what made the magic of Christmas come alive...the anticipation.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post