SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    End of an era... no more Toys R US
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of an era... no more Toys R US Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It was inevitable. Most of the posts are about childhood/teenage years visiting the stores, but has anyone set foot in one in the last decade or so? It's mostly baby stuff and crap toys. Nothing like back in the '80s and '90s when they had really cool stuff.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I didn't see this posted. Toys R Us is closing all of its stores. Sad to see, the mecca of my childhood, all those toys, gone. There was nothing more exciting than a trip to Toys R Us and getting something shiny and new.

That's a bummer. I too have fond memories of my childhood visiting Toys R Us.

There were no Toys R Us when I was a kid. We had to make do with Kresge's and Woolworth's.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I never thought I would see this chain closing.
Many a diaper/ formula run made there, not to mention toy shopping.
I remember circling the lot looking for parking knowing a spot any where near the door was hopeless to find. This was at any time of the year. Walking the lots in winter with snow and ice, carrying cases of formula and huge packs of diapers, without falling, because you could not push a cart through the snow, ice, and winter wind, was something I will never miss.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
There were no Toys R Us when I was a kid. We had to make do with Kresge's and Woolworth's.

flashguy

Toys 'R Us was after my time, too. We had Harts and (I believe) a Kresge's when we lived up north, but after a move to the country when I was 8, we didn't have any stores like that nearby. Instead, we made do with the Sears Wishbook. It would arrive in late August or so (about the start of school) and would be dog-eared within the week. So many opportunities for fun play, and so little money to actually get anything with.

That said, I remember earning a few dollars and ordering a G.I. Joe when I was 9 or so. We went to pick it up at the nearest Sears catalog store, almost 20 miles away. That was a thrill.

If Sears had transitioned their catalog business to the internet instead of keeping their focus trained on the big mall stores, they would be in better shape today and might still be around in five years. Like Toys 'R Us, they'll be gone or changed into something completely different soon.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's a shame about Toys-R-Us. Similarly, I also miss walking through Blockbuster with my then four year old son, looking at all the videos, trying to pick one to watch. Or, walking through Borders Books with him picking a couple new books for him to read.

Its a shame. Shopping at these stores, especially with kids, was as much about the experience as it was the purchase.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Tragic.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Toys-R-Us was always a treat as a kid. Even if you didn't get anything just looking through all those toys was an adventure. G.I. Joes and toy cap guns back when they had cool toy guns.

I can remember saving up money to go buy something there.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
My kids are 15 and 11. We've been to toys-r-us a few times, and usually walked away thinking "that's the same stuff we can get at Walmart, except it's further away and more expensive".

Maybe it use to be cool, but it has never really been any better than big-box retailers for as long as my kids have been around.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I didn't see this posted. Toys R Us is closing all of its stores. Sad to see, the mecca of my childhood, all those toys, gone. There was nothing more exciting than a trip to Toys R Us and getting something shiny and new.

That's a bummer. I too have fond memories of my childhood visiting Toys R Us.

flashguy

What if someone told you to stay out of the Woolworths?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
My wife and I met at the local Toys R Us back in 1987 when the store first opened and we both worked there. I have to say Toys R Us was one of the worst companies I have ever worked for just in the way the treated their employees.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When the jr DFs were younglings I used to tease them with Toys r us. The local TrU was connected by one wall with a furniture store called RC Willey. Whenever I took them to RC Willey with Mrs DF, they would look longingly at TrU and beg to go rather than spend time looking at furniture and appliances. I even made up a song that blended the two names and sung it at random. They HATED that! Tooooooys R C Willeeeeeeey.....lololol. Even when I took them to Toys R Us, as we approached the doors I'd begin veering toward the furniture store. All 4 boys would push and pull me back to TrU with all they had and scold me for teasing. LOLOL good times.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Was definitely a bit sad to hear. Loved the visits to Playworld and Toy R Us when I was a kid and even as recently as the last few years with my children. I also fondly remember the models / hobby section, as well as the G.I. JOE, Star Wars, and Transformers sections etc. I still have a very large box of the aforementioned toys in my attic that I have unfortunately not looked in in years (think Millenium Falcon and Skystriker easily fit inside as well as others). Might be time to bring the box down and open it up to see what has survived and what condition everything is in. I still have some stored away indoors as well that I have shown my daughters including an original release Optimus Prime that has obviously been played with but is still in relatively good condition.

Talk about a lot of great memories!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Didn't they ban all toys with guns in them? Fuck them.

All the GI Joes I bought from Toys R US back in the day....

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v...8001/?#sp=show-clips

I'm going to try to save Toys 'R' Us: Isaac Larian

Mar. 26, 2018 - 5:02 - MGA Entertainment CEO Isaac Larian on his efforts to save the toy retailer.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Didn't they ban all toys with guns in them? Fuck them.

All the GI Joes I bought from Toys R US back in the day....

If they did, it was a miserable failure...plenty of toys with guns still on sale there, including G.I. Joe.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ones around here were among the first stores to post when Wisconsin first got Concealed-Carry.

We quit going there. They went bust.

Bye.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I had some fond childhood memories there.

Anyone else remember the video game buying process of bringing a ticket to the cashier and then the receipt to the locked counter?

My parents bought more than a few GI Joe's there. Couldn't afford Transformers, though.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have ever been in one of their stores. When I was a kid we got our toys at the local five and dime or the one lone department store in town. That was about it.

Still sad to see.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It isn't just TRU, apparently. Dozens of retailers have gone or are going bust, closing stores, going online only or going out of business altogether. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retail_apocalypse

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
It was inevitable. Most of the posts are about childhood/teenage years visiting the stores, but has anyone set foot in one in the last decade or so? It's mostly baby stuff and crap toys. Nothing like back in the '80s and '90s when they had really cool stuff.

Raised three youngun's with trips to distract at times also
Nothing but chinese shit now
all things considered
Later...

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post