SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where to stay in Maui
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to stay in Maui Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
The Hana Maui is still around?
I stayed there back in 1968.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
Hey LBJ,

I'm in Malta at the moment but came diectly from Maui. I spent the first week of June at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua. I can strongly recommend the location but also had some events at the Sheraton in Kaanapali and believe you would prefer that location. It is closer to Lahiana and beach access was easier than at the Ritz.

Ritz was like 800 a night, the Sheraton was 220.

Hope this helps

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
The Hana Maui is still around?
I stayed there back in 1968.

If you mean the Hana Kai Maui, yes it is.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
We stayed at the Westin resort...beautiful place.

Sorry, didn't provide a link:

https://www.westinmaui.com/

We had a fabulous time there. They have an incredible pool design (which was a lure for us since we have kids), the best in the area that we could find in our research at the time, and the staff was top-notch. Check out the photos at the link...the resort is right on the beach, has lots of outdoor eating areas, is close to shopping, etc. For its location, convenience, attention to detail and beauty, I just can't recommend it higher.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OK, I remembered something else you might enjoy, at least I enjoyed it a lot: sport fishing.

The pier in Lahaina has a number of boats that take tourists out to try their luck fishing for mahi mahi, etc. I went out with my future son-in-law (he asked for my daughter's hand as we were heading out).
The company I recommend is Start Me Up!, because any fish caught is divided among the passengers, many other companies keep the fish to sell to local restaurants.
Two other passengers, a couple, each caught a big mahi mahi; since they were flying out they couldn't take the fish, so my future son-in-law and I got to take the biggest part. Never had such delicious grilled mahi mahi!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
OK, I remembered something else you might enjoy, at least I enjoyed it a lot: sport fishing.

The pier in Lahaina has a number of boats that take tourists out to try their luck fishing for mahi mahi, etc. I went out with my future son-in-law (he asked for my daughter's hand as we were heading out).
The company I recommend is Start Me Up!, because any fish caught is divided among the passengers, many other companies keep the fish to sell to local restaurants.
Two other passengers, a couple, each caught a big mahi mahi; since they were flying out they couldn't take the fish, so my future son-in-law and I got to take the biggest part. Never had such delicious grilled mahi mahi!
When I lived in Alaska, I went to Maui twice and one time I fished with Start Me Up. The captain happened to be a fishing captain in Alaska in the summer and fishing captain in Lahaina in the winter. I went on a 6 hour trip and we got skunked, but did get a spectacular nurse shark photo. The captain and I got talking about Alaska fishing, and he shared with me that if I came back to Maui to only go on the 8 and 9 hour trips as people rarely catch anything on the 2, 4, or 6 hour trips.

I lived in Alaska and Canada a combined total of 7 years and it was no coincidence that I went to Hawaii 7 times during that time period (winter was too damn long). One of the the tips Sigforum gave me was to buy maui revealed (Big Island Revealed for going to Big Island, Oahu Revealed for going to Oahu, and Kauai Revealed for going to Kauai) for planning and their georeferenced app for getting around (i.e. get done snorkeling, click the app, and find a recommended poke shack nearby. Way better recommendations than Yelp). They actually live incognito on an island (many reviewers don't so they don't get treated like an ordinary tourist) and their recommendations are really good for hotels, activities, and dining (to be fair, they favor Italian a little too much). I used Maui Revelaed to:
  • Pick my hotels.I've stayed at the Sheraton black rock and Marriott Wailea. The adult only pool at the Marriott is more to my liking (infinity pool, they enforced the no kids, and had a great view) but the beach at the Sheraton Black Rock was way better. There was more stuff in walking distance from the Sheraton Black Rock that I enjoyed.
  • Book a snorkeling trip to Molokai. Their tip on which service to use, the Alii Nui, was awesome as we had about 30 people on a 60 person boat, but the other companies were at capacity on their 100+ people boats. Tons of whale and dolphin activity so we could walk to whichever side the sea life was on, but we looked over at the cattlemarans (catamarans so full the people are like cattle) and they can't move to see marine life on the other side of the boat.
  • which snorkel company to go to Captain Cook monument
  • their recommendation not to do lunch/dinner whale watching cruises as you see just as many whale snorkeling, but for the same money but to snorkel too.
  • Pick restaurants
  • Other islands, I used their recommendation for helicopter tours, golf courses, snorkel gear rental, which condos are best for VRBO, submarine tours, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    delicately calloused
    Picture of darthfuster
    posted Hide Post
    I know this was not your query, but if you have time, drive up Haleakala. The view is spectacular. Also, the road to Hana is a wonderful drive. But take time to explore off the road. There are countless hideaway treasures back beyond the road. We found a small lake with an old swing rope on our way back to a waterfall. It was glorious. I'll try to find pics. While we were viewing the falls, it began to rain. The boulders we climbed and crossed to reach the falls became slick as wet ice and we had to crawl out of the jungle on our bellies. lol What an adventure! We were covered in slime by the time we reached the car. Had to stop at the Goodwill and buy replacement clothes because we were swamp monsters. haha. Obviously, we never made it to Hana.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    delicately calloused
    Picture of darthfuster
    posted Hide Post
    The rope swing

Boulders dry

Mrs and youngest DF at the falls

It begins to rain

Boulders slippery wet

Honu

Mrs DF and me halfway up Haleakala

Ancillary pool

Foliage on the road to Hana

Jr DF surfing rest

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post