SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Metastasized Stage 3 Lung Cancer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metastasized Stage 3 Lung Cancer Login/Join 
posted
Got a shit call this afternoon from my Father in law. He is a good guy, but was a smoker for 55 years before he quit in August 2017. At 73 years old they think they found it early, but it has already turned metastatic and attached to his rib cage (bone). He is going back in next Monday for a second biopsy of a new spot on his liver and to check his lymph nodes.

My wife is in this altered reality state. We talked, and she knew it was likely (her mother was also a smoker, also had lung cancer, and died of liver failure after it spread). I think the worse thing was that with him quitting last year, it brought a fallacy that he had escaped.

At this point I still think there are options, but hearing him say he is getting married to his girlfriend immediately, shipping his will to the attorney, and talking to the funeral home all seem so surreal. His girlfriend was on the phone tonight, and he went and met with the priest earlier today. I couldn't help but to think he has known for some time, and this is his way of saying goodbye.

Anyway, it sounds as if we will be making a family trip north to Albany in the next week.

I know it sounds odd, but I can't remember a single conversation, song, or thing I did from earlier today. Hearing this kind of news, especially about a person like Roger, puts everything else into context.

Hug your kids, tell your spouse you love them, appreciate the time with your family - life seems so fleeting.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Sorry

Thoughts and prayers for your family.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:...
Hug your kids, tell your spouse you love them, appreciate the time with your family - life seems so fleeting.

I am sorry for the news.

Thank you for the reminder.

I never knew my father.

My two girls are my world.

One is in her early 30s and I have three grandchildren, the other is 27.

I talk with them several times a week, and have contact daily via the interwebz.

I pester them almost as much as I do all "you people".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that sucks

I hope its mostly treatable

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sucks. I hope it is treatable.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My father died about the same way though 20 years younger. As a kid I remember him going through 2 - 3 gallons of vodka a week and two packs of cigarettes a day.

Your wife, and you, have my prayers.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry buddy. It seems like this type of thing is getting more common in life these days. Prayers sent

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Oh man that news would beat anybody down,sorry for you and family

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Cancer sucks. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that.
My M-I-L, a heavy smoker also died from lung cancer. My F-I-L quit in his early 70's and lived another 16 years and died of non-smoking causes.
I guess the message there is is may help to quit even after a few decades, but you never know. I've never heard of a down side to quitting.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Hey buddy!

Sorry you and your loved one's are having to go through this.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will be praying for you and your family. If we as a group or individually can help you, please let us know.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent. Thank you for the reminder of what is precious and important.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Praying for you and your family. I'm very sorry for your family's situation.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your news. Best wishes to all of you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Prayers said and sent.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. We all have to check out sooner or later; the twist is how. My dad was a strong smoker, at least a couple of packs a day, Lucky Strikes non-filtered. He drummed into me what the MFST meant on the side of the pack: Most Fine Smoking Tobacco. He quit simply by forgetting due to Alzheimers. In the last years, his lungs always came back strong and clean as reportd by the doctors.

Last year, I had the news I might have lung cancer. Turned out to be mold. All this to say, I hope you and your famiy will cope. I wish you strength.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the bad news ya’ll are dealing with. Cancer sucks. Hang in there with your family.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the news Chris, let me know if I can do anything for you guys.

Prayers go out to yall.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your family, all our prayers.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post