SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time for major Rolex service/refurbishment
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for major Rolex service/refurbishment Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Should I get it serviced to prevent any damage? Thanks.

Not servicing your Rolex should not damage it unless you're swimming and such. Eventually it'll stop keeping time, but it might not.

I'd probably wind it up once in a while, wear it for a couple of days, set it for exact time against my phone, and check +/- in seconds per day. For all you know, it may still be running within 5-15 seconds. +6 to -4 seconds per day is COSC, which the watch should be able to achieve when properly serviced and calibrated.

Provenance is another way of describing the collection of honest wear marks.

Returning parts - I was speaking of gears and such; I have heard of RSC keeping rather valuable dials when doing a service but do not have 1st hand information. Glad R0gue got his old bezel back, although I've always been partial to the black bezel GMT.

"The one that got away" was a Y-serial, maybe 2003, black bezel GMT which came my way around 2010, offered for $3,000 ...

Posts: 8062 | Location: Mid-Atlantic Region | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Should I get it serviced to prevent any damage? Thanks.

Not servicing your Rolex should not damage it unless you're swimming and such. Eventually it'll stop keeping time, but it might not.

I'd probably wind it up once in a while, wear it for a couple of days, set it for exact time against my phone, and check +/- in seconds per day. For all you know, it may still be running within 5-15 seconds. +6 to -4 seconds per day is COSC, which the watch should be able to achieve when properly serviced and calibrated.

Provenance is another way of describing the collection of honest wear marks.

Returning parts - I was speaking of gears and such; I have heard of RSC keeping rather valuable dials when doing a service but do not have 1st hand information. Glad R0gue got his old bezel back, although I've always been partial to the black bezel GMT.

"The one that got away" was a Y-serial, maybe 2003, black bezel GMT which came my way around 2010, offered for $3,000 ...

Thanks. I still have all the original box and papers and receipt etc It sits in my safe and I just do not wear it any more. If I wind it up, it seems to work fine. Never had it serviced. I love the watch but I just never wear any watch any more.

Posts: 2630 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
OK, my head is about ready to explode.

Every mechanical and quartz watch needs to be serviced on a regular basis by time - not usage.

Rolex has specific oils for parts. When oils dry out, wear of the parts accelerates, then you are facing serious repair.

A local watchmaker may consider a cheap watch serviced by dunking the movement in a general oil. This is fine for your Timex - at least it is "oiled".

Note: patina vs wabi: Patina is the result of time: fading of the bezel color, aging of the tritium markers, fading of the face.
Wabi is result of usage, i.e. the beautiful roughness of the watch from heavy wear.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2087 | Location: Louisiana - north of N.O. | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
OK, my head is about ready to explode.

Every mechanical and quartz watch needs to be serviced on a regular basis by time - not usage.

Rolex has specific oils for parts. When oils dry out, wear of the parts accelerates, then you are facing serious repair.

A local watchmaker may consider a cheap watch serviced by dunking the movement in a general oil. This is fine for your Timex - at least it is "oiled".

Note: patina vs wabi: Patina is the result of time: fading of the bezel color, aging of the tritium markers, fading of the face.
Wabi is result of usage, i.e. the beautiful roughness of the watch from heavy wear.

How often do you recommend servicing a Rolex? Every 5 years? 10 years?

As far as the OP is concerned I'd have it polished and parts updated as needed if Rolex is doing it. It's not an ultra rare rolex like the 1990's Daytona's or such...….

Posts: 20360 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T-Boy:
It is now time for me to send my circa 1978 Rolex Datejust (model 1601 steel & gold) in for a major service and/or refurbishment. From what I can tell, service from Rolex directly (I would be sending it to the Dallas service center) will start around $800 plus any repairs. I have a feeling there may be some repairs but don’t know what. I have previously had this watch serviced for cleaning at an authorized center locally but want a better option this time.
Does anyone have any experience with some reputable “Authorized Rolex Service Centers” that do really good work? This watch has a particular value to me personally so I really want to restore it not replace it. If anyone can provide me with some names and also some typical costs I would appreciate the information.

Dallas RSC is the best bet if you want to restore this for sentimental reasons. Don't send it to NY. Only reason I would go private is if the dial or hands have a patina that you want to keep. Rolex will replace anything that does not look correct. Sometimes Patina dials look really cool.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post