SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time for major Rolex service/refurbishment
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for major Rolex service/refurbishment Login/Join 
posted
It is now time for me to send my circa 1978 Rolex Datejust (model 1601 steel & gold) in for a major service and/or refurbishment. From what I can tell, service from Rolex directly (I would be sending it to the Dallas service center) will start around $800 plus any repairs. I have a feeling there may be some repairs but don’t know what. I have previously had this watch serviced for cleaning at an authorized center locally but want a better option this time.
Does anyone have any experience with some reputable “Authorized Rolex Service Centers” that do really good work? This watch has a particular value to me personally so I really want to restore it not replace it. If anyone can provide me with some names and also some typical costs I would appreciate the information.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the sentimental value, I'd send it directly to Rolex. They will polish it as well with the $800 service and make it look new.

A friend of mine always used Daoud's jewelers in Fort Lauderdale,FL and was always happy with them and they're a lot cheaper......but I can't personally recommend them as I've never used them.

I have a rolex, but it has not needed service, when it does I plan on sending it directly to Rolex in Houston.

A few other members here are very knowledgable and can give you more information on other options

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm Angler
posted Hide Post
I have that exact reference number DateJust. I had an authorized dealer send it to Rolex, but with specific instructions not to redial or replace lume (to keep some patina-it was my father’s). Rolex did the internal service, and my AD’s watchmaker gave it a light polish and replaced the acrylic crystal. This was a few years back and cost around $1200. I was pleased with the results.

Posts: 183 | Location: Park County | Registered: February 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
David Truong.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rorke's Drift:
I have that exact reference number DateJust. I had an authorized dealer send it to Rolex, but with specific instructions not to redial or replace lume (to keep some patina-it was my father’s). Rolex did the internal service, and my AD’s watchmaker gave it a light polish and replaced the acrylic crystal. This was a few years back and cost around $1200. I was pleased with the results.

Some people have issue that when Rolex services the watch, they polish it and the result is it rounds off the corners. I guess it's one or the other.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Sent my wife's Rolex to the service center in Dallas. Very satisfied in the result. It did not cost $800 that's for sure, but hers needed some work and then some. She's happy, so I'm good. Came back packaged like a new watch delivery - and it was indistinguishable from new afaics.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Proper polishing does not round off the corners; chamfering is maintained. Only Rolex (supposedly) has the exact cloth which gets the precise brushed finish on their cases, although many tradespeople come close; complete disassembly is the first step in a great refurbishment.

The Rolex Forums has several accredited members and a wealth of information. The plus of using RSC is they have immediate access to the exact repair parts, and will leave nothing to chance. Great warranty.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Do not send it to Rolex! They will most likely replace parts such as dial, hands & date wheel with service replacement parts. This will lower the value of your watch if those parts were original. Dave Truong is the man to see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
This really depends what you want. If you want the watch restored to as new condition, including replacement of any worn out or defective parts, send it to Rolex. In addition to polishing out the scratches on the case and bracelet they will replace any and all manner of parts that they deem necessary potentially including the crown, bezel, face, hands, etc.. Your watch will still be your watch but it will be effectively brand new. To me that is the meaning of restored and I have had it done to several watches over the years.

If the watch has such sentimental value that particular blemishes have meaning to you and so on or you just want to make sure it retains all its original parts (some of which may need to be replaced regardless) and functions properly, then you may want to seek other options.

Personally I would send it to Rolex and spend the money, it is worth it. I don't trust anyone other than the manufacturer with my timepieces and have been extremely satisfied with the refurbs done in the past by Omega, Brietling, Rolex and don't laugh even Seiko. I have a Seiko pilots watch that was an early Christmas gift to me from my father back in the 1980's and has significant sentimental value to me for a variety of reasons. The watch was trashed and nonfunctional from years of constant use in my younger days and I just wanted it to be new again. The work they did and the parts they replaced simply blew me away. If I had the original box you would not know the watch was used. I won't wear it now, it just sits amongst the other watches and for me I love that.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
There was a major place in Ohio our local guy moved to but I can’t remember the name. I’ll look for it.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
PLEASE LET MY EXPERIENCE BE A LESSON TO YOU !!!

About 15 years old, my '93 Submariner started acting up. At the time, I called Rolex and they told me that the overhaul price was $750. No problem, just an issue with getting the watch there safely. When I happened to run into my local jeweler and mentioned it to him, he informed me that his local guy is "Rolex trained" and only uses "original Rolex" parts. Great! $250. later, I got back a perfect, new-looking watch. And it worked flawlessly ... for a year! Then, another $300. for a mainspring! And 9 months later, he tells me $500. for a mainspring and overhaul. Needless to say, I got the watch back. Unsure of my next step, I asked advice from an acquaintance at my range ... a Patek-Philippe tech. He agreed to open it up and see what's wrong.

And plenty was wrong:
Tha watch was all buggered up inside. No seals were ever replaced. The case back was overtightened to compensate for not replacing any seals.

The mainspring was fine.

It was such a mess internally, that my buddy was afraid to touch it.

So, after much deliberation and soul searching, off it went to Rolex. All the buggered parts were repaired or replaced. It was properly sealed and pressure tested. It's been back for a couple of years now, and still works flawlessly.

And the next time it needs service, it's going straight back to Rolex.

I tried to go cheap, and I learned from my mistake.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Rolex Service Center. Rolex won’t just replace the dial because it’s old, unless you request it. That said, if your watch is not 100% stock, as in someone replaced the dial, bezel, hands, etc, Rolex will put the watch back to its original stock condition. If your lume is dead, they will replace that, unless asked to leave it be.

I highly recommend the RSC. in my experiences, the only people dissatisfied with their work are people who have modified watches.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've had most of my Breitlings and Sinns overhauled at both the factory service centers and by authorized independents. The only real difference was price and turnaround time. I had a Breitling Hercules that stopped running a few days after I got it. Sent it back to Breitling via the AD. When they got it back, it literally died while they were handing it over to me again. For my Sinns I've tried to time the overhauls for when I was going to be in Germany anyway and then arranged to have it done in the time I was there. Way, way cheaper there than here, if you're gonna be there anyway.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had waited 20 years to service my Sub, took it to a local authorized Rolex service center and was very happy, quick turn around and about $500.00.

But next time I will be in your shoes, that center closed and currently there are no authorized centers i know of in South Florida.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
T-Boy, you need to join Rolex Forum. Lots of great information and opinions. Some of the best independent Rolex repair people frequent there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
David Troung did a great job on mine.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

David Troung did a great job on mine.
Mine too, and my wife's as well.

A great thing about David is the fantastic communication, something that you're not likely to get with a big service center.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
David Truong.

David did my 2 Omega`s last year, 1st class job.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
David Truong.

Exactly who I was going to recommend as well. I would trust him completely with something like that watch.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
David Truong.

Does anyone have contact information?

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post