SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time for major Rolex service/refurbishment
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for major Rolex service/refurbishment Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Should I get it serviced to prevent any damage? Thanks.

Not servicing your Rolex should not damage it unless you're swimming and such. Eventually it'll stop keeping time, but it might not.

I'd probably wind it up once in a while, wear it for a couple of days, set it for exact time against my phone, and check +/- in seconds per day. For all you know, it may still be running within 5-15 seconds. +6 to -4 seconds per day is COSC, which the watch should be able to achieve when properly serviced and calibrated.

Provenance is another way of describing the collection of honest wear marks.

Returning parts - I was speaking of gears and such; I have heard of RSC keeping rather valuable dials when doing a service but do not have 1st hand information. Glad R0gue got his old bezel back, although I've always been partial to the black bezel GMT.

"The one that got away" was a Y-serial, maybe 2003, black bezel GMT which came my way around 2010, offered for $3,000 ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Should I get it serviced to prevent any damage? Thanks.

Not servicing your Rolex should not damage it unless you're swimming and such. Eventually it'll stop keeping time, but it might not.

I'd probably wind it up once in a while, wear it for a couple of days, set it for exact time against my phone, and check +/- in seconds per day. For all you know, it may still be running within 5-15 seconds. +6 to -4 seconds per day is COSC, which the watch should be able to achieve when properly serviced and calibrated.

Provenance is another way of describing the collection of honest wear marks.

Returning parts - I was speaking of gears and such; I have heard of RSC keeping rather valuable dials when doing a service but do not have 1st hand information. Glad R0gue got his old bezel back, although I've always been partial to the black bezel GMT.

"The one that got away" was a Y-serial, maybe 2003, black bezel GMT which came my way around 2010, offered for $3,000 ...

Thanks. I still have all the original box and papers and receipt etc It sits in my safe and I just do not wear it any more. If I wind it up, it seems to work fine. Never had it serviced. I love the watch but I just never wear any watch any more.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
OK, my head is about ready to explode.

Every mechanical and quartz watch needs to be serviced on a regular basis by time - not usage.

Rolex has specific oils for parts. When oils dry out, wear of the parts accelerates, then you are facing serious repair.

A local watchmaker may consider a cheap watch serviced by dunking the movement in a general oil. This is fine for your Timex - at least it is "oiled".

Note: patina vs wabi: Patina is the result of time: fading of the bezel color, aging of the tritium markers, fading of the face.
Wabi is result of usage, i.e. the beautiful roughness of the watch from heavy wear.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
OK, my head is about ready to explode.

Every mechanical and quartz watch needs to be serviced on a regular basis by time - not usage.

Rolex has specific oils for parts. When oils dry out, wear of the parts accelerates, then you are facing serious repair.

A local watchmaker may consider a cheap watch serviced by dunking the movement in a general oil. This is fine for your Timex - at least it is "oiled".

Note: patina vs wabi: Patina is the result of time: fading of the bezel color, aging of the tritium markers, fading of the face.
Wabi is result of usage, i.e. the beautiful roughness of the watch from heavy wear.

How often do you recommend servicing a Rolex? Every 5 years? 10 years?

As far as the OP is concerned I'd have it polished and parts updated as needed if Rolex is doing it. It's not an ultra rare rolex like the 1990's Daytona's or such...….

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T-Boy:
It is now time for me to send my circa 1978 Rolex Datejust (model 1601 steel & gold) in for a major service and/or refurbishment. From what I can tell, service from Rolex directly (I would be sending it to the Dallas service center) will start around $800 plus any repairs. I have a feeling there may be some repairs but don’t know what. I have previously had this watch serviced for cleaning at an authorized center locally but want a better option this time.
Does anyone have any experience with some reputable “Authorized Rolex Service Centers” that do really good work? This watch has a particular value to me personally so I really want to restore it not replace it. If anyone can provide me with some names and also some typical costs I would appreciate the information.

Dallas RSC is the best bet if you want to restore this for sentimental reasons. Don't send it to NY. Only reason I would go private is if the dial or hands have a patina that you want to keep. Rolex will replace anything that does not look correct. Sometimes Patina dials look really cool.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
So I needed to take my GMTs in to get appraised for insurance purposes. Off I went to Pensacola.
I asked about servicing and they said over 5 years they should be serviced. It’s been well over 5 years. Since they are “classic” they have to go to Rolex. The watch guy apparently was impressed by their condition. The Pepsi is 61 years old and the 2 tone is 41 years old.
Any way, approximately $1300.00 each for the service. Oh well! I did make sure that the order specified to NOT polish the case(s).

Posts: 1198 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Re-read the thread and realized I never actually weighed in on the main question.

Normally I'd suggest the Dallas RSC (I've used them many times). But for a watch of this vintage, I think perhaps Ridley Watchmakers would be a better choice. They did a wonderful service on my newly acquired 1603. I honestly think Dallas would have been cheaper, but they'd have wanted to replace the hands. Ridley was willing to retain the T hands.

As my 1603 is of similar age to yours, I'll share the detail of my service. Technically, my good friend had this done earlier this year, and subsequently, I bought the watch from him in the summer. Ridley had recommended, and ultimately performed, the following: Full disassembly, cleaned, oiled, regulated, new NOS mainspring, crown, case tube and crystal, waterproof tested with new seals.

https://ridleywatchmakers.com/

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
My 1680 came back from its last service, looking brand new. Pissed me off to no end.

Came back with notes bragging about all the dents and scratches they removed.

Never asked for any approvals, and just listed “service” as the charge.

It had been serviced by Rolex several times before without issue.

One thing is that for some reason, many watches which never had issues keeping time, start developing them after being serviced.

My 1680 no longer keeps time very well

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am always abundantly clear on that aspect, and even then, I'm in high anxiety until its return.

It's hard to explain to somebody that isn't a watch-nerd, how very changed a watch is when they grind off all of the scratches and dings. I mean, it's not that I like the scratches and dings. It's that it requires the removal of too much metal and ultimately the changing of the lines. My best explanation is a bar of soap.

I sold my first Rolex ever, .. my only Rolex and only watch at that time, that I owned for 13 years, when it was returned to me by the RSC in soap-bar pristine condition. Thus began my insane journey of wasted time. In-ing and out-ing nearly 100 watches over a decade. If I could undo that one service, I could probably have saved myself 2,000 hours of nonsense! Big Grin

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread I am thinking Rolexes are like mistresses, expensive to obtain, and even more expensive to keep!

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Reading this thread I am thinking Rolexes are like mistresses, expensive to obtain, and even more expensive to keep!

Well, to obtain, I will admit. But for the most part, you can own them for a lifetime for the "cost of money" (forgone investment potential of the cash you used to buy them), if you buy the right ones.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

Well, to obtain, I will admit. But for the most part, you can own them for a lifetime for the "cost of money" (forgone investment potential of the cash you used to buy them), if you buy the right ones.

thanks for the ridley recommendation, they're local for me.

buy the right one:

i bought the straight hand/1655 on the left for $250 in 1974, sold without box/paperwork for $13k+ in 2014.
the one on the right/16753, $2500 in 1983, sold for $6k $2018.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The 1655 has always been my grail. Very tough to find a good one now, and for me, impossible to trust. Vintage Rolex is an area I cannot allow myself to go. Dangerous waters with mods and clean-ups.

As for the value thing, I once read of a wealthy guy who said, "I throw money out the window and it walks back in the front door". It's true. These guys buy mansions, Ferrari's, Rolex and Patek. And all of that shit is worth far more in a decade or two. Normal people buy consumer products, and it's worth less the day they buy it, and every day thereafter.

posted Hide Post
i wore the 16753 for 31 years, 'til it was replaced with the 116713 in 2014.

i've worn rolex's from the mid '60's, mostly gmt's but have seen some interesting watches posted by you + other members over the years.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Rolex Service Center
650 5th Ave
NY NY 10019
My 1964 ss sub takes a licking and keeps ticking .

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I paid $1,750.00 for my 2 tone withe the jubilee band in 1981. I paid that same amount for another jubilee band about 10 years later. Another 15 years or so and a jubilee band cost me $2,500.00 if I remember correctly. That one has lasted because I don’t wear the watch daily anymore. I got tired of beating it up.

The Pepsi I have was my fathers. He bought it in Hong Kong in 1962 I believe when we were in Hong Kong on R&R from Saigon. He paid $150.00 for it. It did get reconditioned a few years ago in Dallas.

I don’t know for sure what they are worth now but I’m sure it’s a damn sight more than I have in them. It’s irrelevant though as I won’t be selling them. They’ll be passed on to my family.

I have both boxes and the paperwork for them, including the Bureaux Suisses “certification” for the Pepsi dated 18 August, 1962.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always interesting to me to compare historical vs. current cost.

Using the westegg inflation calculator, $150 in 1962 would be about $1400 today.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Well, you guys may remember I took both of my GMT’s on for routine service in November of last year. Got them back in Feb if I remember correctly. All good, until this week. I dropped the Pepsi on the floor accidentally and it stopped. Off to Pensacola yesterday to have it sent back to Rolex. Frown. Made sure that the women put on the order NOT to polish the case and DO NOT replace the bezel insert or anything else. Just fix it. I underlined DO NOT replace the bezel insert. Also sent them a pick of the warranty card from the overhaul and told her to make sure to note the watch was fully serviced at Rolex in February of this year. When I got home I noticed she had said it was a GMT MASTER II on the paperwork so I called back over there and made sure that they would correct that. Gonna be apprehensive about it until I get it back.

posted Hide Post
just had my Sub serviced last summer at local Authorized Dealer, I was hesitant to mail a Rolex to Dallas, felt much better dropping off/picking up in person. price was roughly 800 also, this was a 10 year check up/service. they did a light polish to clean it up but nothing drastic. watch has been running better than ever since pick up.
Schiffman's in Greensboro is the retailer, they have a great Rolex studio in their store...highly recommended for anyone interested in this area.

Posts: 218 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post