SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Was cable tv ever like this ? or am too old to remember?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was cable tv ever like this ? or am too old to remember? Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm not as old as some here, but there were always commercials when I was a kid.

However, I'm old enough to remember becoming an expert at crawling under the house and installing splitters to send the signal to every TV in the house, lol. I was young enough I didn't know it was pirating until years later, when I was in my late teens. Mom never mentioned that when sending me into the Radio Shack...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Cable tv has always been commercial free. I first got in 1983 (paid for it myself as a child). HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Movie Channel, now Starz, EPIX, Encore, all commercial free. The only thing I watch on cable (satellite) is commercial free channels.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I guess I interpreted Cable TV to mean channels like ESPN, Turner, etc. Never have seen commercials on the paid per channel sites like HBO, but these days I interpret cable TV to be everything I get when I pay my cable bill.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Cable tv has always been commercial free. I first got in 1983 (paid for it myself as a child). HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Movie Channel, now Starz, EPIX, Encore, all commercial free. The only thing I watch on cable (satellite) is commercial free channels.

Cable TV first started in about 1948, and it was not commercial free. There were only a few markets - parts of eastern Pennsylvania, Oregon, and Arkansas. These were places that were relatively far from broadcast antennas and mountainous. Over-the-air reception was terrible, so cable brought TV to the coal regions of Pennsylvania where they couldn't receive the signal from Philadelphia. Obviously, there was no HBO, Cinemax, etc. until the middle and later '70s. Prior to the advent of the pay TV services like HBO and MTV, cable stations just fed local TV to your house. As I said, my grandparents in Bethlehem had cable in the late '60s and is was broadcast TV only, just brought in by cable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yes, that was a selling point when we first got cable tv. There were channels that weren't available via major networks that had no commercials. No one cared that there were still commercials in the network TV channels because you got 30 channels of clear tv rather than 3 fuzzy channels.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
When it first started, ages ago, the selling point of cable tv was NO commercials.

That was the reason for paying for contents without interruptions.

You are right, bendable.

You are correct Sir! No commercials in the beginning.

0-0

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Got cable when it came to town in the seventies and there were commercials just like today on the regular channels.

HBO and etc required you to rent a filter...
I knew a cable service tech that would declare a filter "bad" and replace it with new one. He then sold the perfectly fine, so called "bad" filters for ten bucks. I don't know how long he got away with it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my Dad was an engineer and designed and oversaw Cable TV installations in 8 States. The only channels that were commercial free were the local access channels. The networks were all as they are today. There were only the 3 networks back then. My Dad designed approximately 400 cities Cable, from Oklahoma to North Carolina.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post