SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Was cable tv ever like this ? or am too old to remember?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was cable tv ever like this ? or am too old to remember? Login/Join 
posted
four of us were talking (responsibly) over lunch.

I was pretty darn sure that a long time ago ,when Cable tv was in it's infancy , that one of the major selling point was ,
They offered tv with out commercial's.

well another guy agreed but the other two said that cable tv has always had commercial's.

Now I am wondering if different cable companies
offered different programing , some with commercial's some w/o.

any old folks remember that far back?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I don't ever remember cable TV not broadcasting commercials, except on community access channels. They were just relaying the live network broadcasts most of the time, commercials and all.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I think it may have been the beginning of HBO and the like with no commercials.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3476 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about any channel on a given cable system? If so then yes, they've always been there.
HBO- no
WGN- yes

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am 65 and in the Lehigh Valley of eastern PA, we had one of the early cable tv companies. There were always commercials on Network TV delivered by cable. The primary advantage to cable was reliable service in hilly regions. The alternative was an Antenna Rotor. My granddad had one, it was a motor that rotated the antenna to "tune" it. Cable was better.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
When it first started, ages ago, the selling point of cable tv was NO commercials.

That was the reason for paying for contents without interruptions.

You are right, bendable.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I don’t remember that. I believe my first cable hookup was in about 1970 and I paid under $10 per month. I also don’t recall what services this provided.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I think it may have been the beginning of HBO and the like with no commercials.

I [vaguely] recall that being one of the selling points for HBO.

About the time they came online, network TV would show movies but with a 2 minute commercial every 12 minutes AND the movie edited down to fit into either 90 minute or 120 minute timeslot.

105 minute movie starts at 9 pm =

3 minutes of opening commercials.
12 minutes of movie (15 minutes)
2 minutes of commercials (17 minutes)
12 minutes of movie (29 minutes)
3 minutes of commercial because we're at the 30 minute mark (32 minute - 24 minutes of the movie has been shown, 8 minutes of commercial: 3:1 ratio))

HBO was looking VERY good at the time. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the early 80's many of the channels had no commercials....stuff like MTV, HBO, etc. that I remember. However, I remember the normal stations still had commercials.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
HBO, MTV, etc. did not exist yet in the early days of cable TV.
At least not around here.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
In the early days of cable TV, premium channels such as HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, The Playboy Channel Smile, etc. had no commercials. The retransmitted local OTA channels did. I think the superstations like Chicago's WGN did.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Well, there's cable TV, and then there are cable TV "networks". Starting around 1960ish cable TV started in earnest, but it was really just rebroadcast "network" TV, which definitely had commercials.

Long about 1970ish began the era of cable TV "networks" or channels, as in only available via cable, like HBO, C-Span, ESPN, blah blah, blah... Some of those networks/channels had commercials (ESPN), some not (HBO and the like). Re HBO: That's why you paid extra, you were compensating them for the revenue they didn't get via commercials.

Cable's Evolution

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cable had commercials when it was sending broadcast TV into your house. My grandparents had cable TV even back to the late '60s and early '70s and all the cable offered were regular broadcast TV stations for their area, just as they broadcast the signal over the air - complete with commercials. You were paying a smallish fee for not having to deal with antennas and poor signal reception.

Of course there was no HBO or anything else like that. But when it was the Philadelphia NBC affiliate (or whatever), it had commercials. IIRC, Pennsylvania was one of the first places to have any kind of cable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
HBO in the 80’s has no commercials

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
When it first started, ages ago, the selling point of cable tv was NO commercials.

That was the reason for paying for contents without interruptions.

You are right, bendable.

0-0

Confirmed.

Cable wasn't offered where my folks lived, but they rolled it out in town and some of my friends' houses signed up early.

At first, they called it 'pay tv' and sold it partly on the basis of not having commercials. It did not run broadcast channels at the time, at least what was available in Southwestern MI didn't.

My friends were really ticked when, years later, ads showed up.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
In SW Idaho in the mid 50s to mid 60s, FM radio was largely without commercials. Then just like that, they did.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: signewt,

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure for some people of a certain generation Cable = HBO because that is what first put cable TV on the radar for many people.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
In 1972 while attending Jr. College, my part-time job was with our local cable company and showing recorded programs on the local cable channel from 4p.m. to midnight. Most of the shows were religious in nature. Think Jim and Tammy Faye Baker, Pat Roberts etc.

The "facility" I worked at was a small concrete air conditioned building with no windows and located outside the city limits in a cow pasture, at the base of a 525ft tower. There was no satellite reception at that time in 1972 and the tower had antennas mounted for essentially line of sight reception of broadcast and relayed stations.

I had to change a tape every half hour or hour depending on the length of the current show. There were no commercials on that local cable channel.

The cable company had incidents of more than one station from a network. For example, more than one NBC, ABC or CBS station. Most times, those multiple incidence of network stations were broadcast as received and each with commercials of their own of course. I say "most times" because one of my jobs was to program a simplex clock that worked as a switch, so that if multiple stations were broadcasting the same network show, the closest or most local stations would override the other cable channels from the same network, so that the closest or most local commercials were viewed along with the network shows. In other words, stations that filled air time with there own programs were allowed on our local cable assigned channel but when broadcasting network shows, only one close or local channel was available for view because of broadcast commercial considerations. (having a hard time explaining that for some reason). All the cable channels were still there, but one close or local channel was broadcast over all cable channels from the same network if they were all showing the same show, because of the programming of the simplex clock I had to do in consideration of commercials pertinent to our cable viewing area.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
We had Comcast Tv here in Michigan. A big selling point was we pay a monthly fee and watch with out commercials. It was a distinct selling point.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I recall as a youngster, the cable TV channels that were cable only, did not have commercials. Of course the local, rebroadcast channels did, but not MTV, and the like.

We could not afford to be early adopters, but a friend's family had it. Had a lot of slumber parties trying to fine tune the soft core stuff to get a glimpse of girly parts.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post