SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle Riders, Any Planned Rides This Year?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle Riders, Any Planned Rides This Year? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
We all enjoy that Saturday ride or 2 hour get-a-way ride after work but what about longer rides for the upcoming season? Anything planned? If so share it if so inclined so others might enjoy and even get ideas. It doesn't have to be an epic ride to Alaska or South America, maybe that four day ride to aunt Emma's on the back roads you've always avoided taking when in the car. Or the ride to some destination that's been on your "want to see" list. Maybe the planned visit to a relative three states away, or a three day ride around your own state. Be it with someone else or alone, posh hotels or camping, what are your preferred ways of traveling on your motorcycle?

At this point I have a ride to Big Bend St Park in Texas planned for mid/late April. This will be with another person, a long time riding buddy. My preference is to primarily camp but staying at a motel with laundry maybe every 3-4 days. My riding buddy leans toward motel-ing it the whole way so this is still up in the air. Not camping at all means less to carry and we can generally get an earlier start in the mornings. But I'm more than willing to allow an extra hour each day to be able to sit around a fire at night and camp under the stars, not to mention save money! LOL this is one of many compromises one makes when traveling with another rider(s). Others being how fast to ride and when/where to stop.
We’ll probably ride the Natchez Trace from Nashville to Natchez MS then west to Texas, catch Hill Country on the way to Big Bend, and maybe through southern Missouri or linger in NW Arkansas for a couple days on the return, both of which I ridden before. Suggestions welcome.

Memorial Day weekend is the Cass Rally in Boyer WV, just north of Greenbank and Cass. It’s hosted by Mountaineer BMW Riders but all brands are welcome, in fact probably almost 1/2 are other brands so everyone is welcome! The area has wonderful roads to ride both paved and dirt/gravel. The motel is “iffy” but the campground is nice. It runs Friday through Memorial day Monday. http://www.bmwmoa.org/events/E...spx?id=937309&group=

I typically do two, 4-5 day rides around western VA/NC each Summer on and around the Blue Ridge Parkway basing from one or two motorcycle only campgrounds such as Willville http://www.willvillebikecamp.com , Blue Ridge Motorcycle http://blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com or any number of others in the region. Even in the heat of Summer it’s comfortable on the BRP.

For September I’m planning on a week long ride around WV just exploring places off the beaten path that I’ve not been to such as the Dingess Tunnel in Mingo county. http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1137805 .

You?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on several 2 or 3 day rides in Utah and perhaps getting into some neighboring states.

The main one I want to accomplish is a bit nerdy, which is to finish the Pony Express trail in Utah. The west desert section is about 200 miles of dirt road, no gas stations or other services. Lots of history as it was also the Overland Stage Coach route and a wagon train route. The Donner Party pioneered some of the PE trail in Utah. I've done the easy parts which can be done as day trips from home, now I need to find my camping gear and some dry weather.

There are many outstanding rural back roads with great views in the southern half of the state. I may hit a National Park along the way but my goal is to get away from the tourist spots.

There's an off road trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon vaguely scheduled for late spring with some other folks on Meetup.com which I hope to make.

Posts: 9400 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Right now I am just looking to get into riding motorcycles. It's been a while since I have been on a bike but if I do end up back on one, most of my trips would include US 211 and Skyline Drive here in VA. Here's to hoping I can join the club sometime and maybe plan a trip later.

Posts: 2825 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to do the Canadian shoreline of Lake Superior on my KLR 650. I'm not sure whether that'll be in the cards for this year or not. I'd be bringing some photography gear along.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Will do a lot of local riding, up to some shows around the state, may take a trip up to the mountains if things work out, still will get about 10K on the bike this year...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think rburg is planning one!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Yup we sure are planning some trips.
Most are weekend 1-day 300 mile loops around the mountains in NJ/NY/PA, some beautiful mountainous roads and scenery.

A few multi night trips are being planned:
Shenandoah Valley & Skyline Drive.
Lake George & Laconia NH for Americade and Bike Week.
Lake George, then head west through the Catskills for 2 days, then continue to Syracuse and the Dinosaur BBQ. Then 2 more days in the Adirondacks.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Two trips I have long wanted to take are circumnavigating the Great Lakes (done it in a vehicle but would love to do it on my Heritage), and cruising Route 66. Although, I wouldn't do the entire length of Route 66 as I'd hate to try to get out of Chicago or into LA on a bike. I'm thinking Joliet to Flagstaff. One day I'll do it. As I say every year, "maybe next year".

I am hoping to get out to NY this fall and do some riding through my old stomping grounds and up through the Adirondacks. Beautiful place in the fall.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Quit the bike after 5 broken bones... Eek
So car (Miata) for us now, but you gotta think BIG!

It's on my bucket list to do the entire perimeter of the lower 48! (Not all at once LOL!)
Have done from Washington DC down around Florida to New Orleans, and Mi to Vt. on the north side.

Longest road trip we've done was 6000 miles, 16 days, 12 states.
We might beat that after my wife retires. Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Trip from Memphis to Arlington Texas in april for training class for work.

Iron Butt bun burner 1500 miles in 24 hours to the Gulf Coast for seafood and back home.

One week in early summer or Fall going to hit every state park in Tennessee

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are doing a week-long trip from Iowa to the UP...followed by our annual couple's trip around some of our favorite MN/WI roads/eateries/pubs/cheese curds...

Posts: 714 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flying into Mesa in a few weeks - hitting Lake Havasu, St George, UT, Page, AZ, south rim of GC, Sedona, and back to Mesa.

1100 mile loop - can't wait

Posts: 375 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Chicago to Epping NH, take a class and back.
Then a week in Southern IN and KY.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valpo Fz,

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm going north to Rushmore and those parts with a few friends.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rbdub474
posted Hide Post
Me, my brother, and my dad are doing a trip for pops 70th bday. Starting out in St. Louis. From there it goes to Granby, CO up through Grand Teton Park, through Glacier Park into Banff National Park in Canada and then into Calgary. From there we are dropping back into Sturgis for a couple days and then back towards home. Should be around 4k miles or so when done.

Posts: 839 | Location: East Central MO | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see all your rides and I've bookmarked a few myself.

The 200 mile dirt section of the pony express trail in Utah sounds fun. Of course most of Utah is fun on a motorcycle and scenic.

Mutedblade I hope you do get back into motorcycling. You're fortunate to live in a nice state for riding. In fact western VA has some of the best riding in the country. I love riding VA's little county 600 roads, and the already mentioned BRP.

Sandman do post pics when you do your Superior ride. I've done the perimeter of Superior but over two separate rides. In all honesty I preferred the US coast (UP, WI, and MN) but it's all nice and what a lake!

GCE if you're going as far as Skyline (and you've not ridden the BRP) be sure to ride the Parkway as well. You have nice riding there in Up State too.

Cparktd sorry to learn of your broken bones, MC wreck? If/when I quit riding I think a Miata is in order as the next most fun vehicle! Having heat, ac, and a roof is a big advantage sometimes!

So nice to see so many here with Summer rides planned. RBDub what a wonderful ride you and your brother have planned with your dad for his 70th!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Finger Lakes
Skyline/Blue Ridge

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Thinking about doing the Anchorage to Dawson Adventure bike rally this year.

Thought about getting up to prudhoe bay, but the road has had a lot of bad events this year (washouts and avalanches), so I think I'll give them a year or so to fix it. Construction on the haul road isn't a fun time to be on a motorcycle.

I recently applied for an open position working with inmates at our local prison, if I get the job....I probably won't be doing much more than the daily work commute. I'll be lucky to work one trip in. If not, I hope work is busy enough to fund the rides, but not so busy that I can't get out of the office for a few days at a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those you planning trips to the UP this summer, let me know if you any assistance.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'd like to do the entire Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive ride this year, preferably early summer. Probably ride south to north. If anyone else is interested, I'd love to have some company.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post