SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The “Terrible Threes”??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The “Terrible Threes”?? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I always thought that it was the “terrible twos” that was the rough period for raising a child but HOLY CRAP, for us it’s looking like it’s going to be the “terrible threes”!

Has anyone with kids been through this? Our son will turn 3 in December and while he’s been a bit ornery during his twos, it’s getting rough going into the threes.

He will be sweet as can be one moment and transform into a raging monster the next. Last night he was playing around our 5 month old’s walker-chair and managed to tip it over with him inside Eek then during dinner threw a forkful of chicken nugget with ketchup on it full force at the wall nearby, then proceeded to let loose a blood curdling scream. He’s also started throwing things at me and his brother and trying to hit me during his tantrums. We don’t put up with it and he gets either a swat on the rear or time out, but he definitely seems to be acting out for some reason.

The only thing I can think of is this house selling process and buying another has been incredibly stressful and sometimes there’s a bit of tension between me and my wife and we’ve had a couple fights too. He must be picking up on this stress and tension and acting out.

Anyone else have an otherwise sweet child turn into Benito Mussolini at age 3? Confused

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wait till you see the terrible teens. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The terrible pre-teens aren’t much better.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you checked his crib for ISIS propaganda?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Wait till you see the terrible teens. Wink

His first born is three years old. It would be unethical to share what I was replying to, but my joking response was:

"I'm sure that the kids will be worth the effort, uh, someday. Just remember to keep spare money aside for bail when they are teenagers."

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The terrible twos are just a warm up.

Seriously, he is probably at the stage where he is pushing boundaries. When he pushes and you don't give then he acts out.

Stay the course. Don't get emotional when you react, possibly step up the consequences such as set to bed without finishing dinner instead of time out and you'll get through this.

ETA; Make sure you both show a united front so he can't mom and pop you.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're in the terrible threes right now with our daughter. She was great through most of her twos. I think it's just a matter of them becoming self aware and testing boundaries. Once they figure out they can have an opinion different from yours, it's over.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
There is unrest on the forum
There is trouble with the threes

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
It varies by kid. Our daughter was certainly worse in her threes but was never that bad. Our almost three year old son on the other hand has been a handful throughout his twos and there’s not sign of letting up. Your stories sound familiar and my wife is legitimately concerned he has a behavioral issue. I still think it’s this stage but we will see.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
my kids were fine at two. a bit whiny, but they know what they want and can't always communicate it yet. at three, they know what they want and CAN communicate it. that's where we ran into the terrible threes, holy shit.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
The twos were nothing. I had a relatively sweet, compliant kid. Just you wait. They lied to us all (but I still wouldn’t give him up).

Just keep training, reminding, and educating. It’s all you. It took me a while to catch on that I was the only one that was going to really be able to impart manners- I truly thought that was a naturally progressing thing- like the desire or willingness to share and help (remember when they were so cute toddling around trying to help you) - not so with manners, etc. It is constant and ever-changing, no joke- wait till they start preschool or school and start interacting with other kids and bring those ideas home...
On another note your child might be extremely sensitive to your moods and if you are having a lot of stress it certainly is going to play out in his behavior. Best of luck. Remember: this too shall pass, and btw, don’t let that bs with knocking his sib over and throwing food fly. I know it’s hard, but get an iron grip on your temper, and correct that behavior. Best of luck.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yes. My daughter is 3 1/2. It is much worse now. Defiance, tantrums, arguing, all the fun crap.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Three year olds are really just two year olds, with experience...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
There is unrest on the forum
There is trouble with the threes

Let's not rush to conclusions here.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
there is a reason they call them "threenagers"

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
No military preschool in the area?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
At 2 the kids aren't terrible just curious and incidentally this leads to breakage. At 3 they are testing the boundaries and are more akin to a housecat, pushing things off tables and trying to kill you innocently enough.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, this will soon be over. Then... May the fours be with you!

(Sorry, I had nothing constructive to contribute. I'll go back to lurking now....)

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The twos are nothing. They are testing the world and themselves.

At three they are testing you. And it sucks. The twos were no sweat with my son, but the year of three was a huge pain in the ass. Deliberate acts of defiance and willful disobedience.

It got better though

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Yep, three was worse than two for my two oldest. The third one just turned two, so we’ll see. Early indications are that she will kill us all before her next birthday anyway.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post