SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Something we should all strive for in our postings in 2020: The Ten Commandments of Logic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something we should all strive for in our postings in 2020: The Ten Commandments of Logic Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
I know we have all been guilty of violating at least one of the commandments when arguing online, but it's good to review and to try to obey them Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will add another:
11- Thou shalt not use PC as a means to silence common sense.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I could almost wish that that poster would appear on the screen for 30 seconds after logging in here. But that would make no difference. The people who open and read this thread are the least likely to need it, and the rest wouldn’t read it regardless of how it was posted.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
12. Thou shalt not confuse irony with coincidence

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Another one to consider: Correlation is not the same as causation.

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Although I have tried to follow these fundamental practices I'm certain that I've failed to more than once, so this is a great reminder!

Although I can recall some of these points when writing up a response I actually find it helpful to have them laid out like this...so thanks for the post and reminder!

quote:
Originally posted by Fdan:
Another one to consider: Correlation is not the same as causation.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe number 5 covers this one...but I do agree with you on the importance of this point.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to post that over my desk.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
^^^ No you don't. Smile (Monty Python sketch)

13. Contradiction is not an argument.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 and 3 are the most widely abused on the internet IMO.

I discount #1 mainly because it immediately discredits the name caller.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm going to repost that image every time I see somebody violating one of its principles. Thanks, BamaJeepster!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really good stuff - thanks for posting it.

It's going on my desktop.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post