SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thank God my new Doctor is thorough!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank God my new Doctor is thorough! Login/Join 
Picture of 45_Auto
posted
I recently got a new primary care physician who happens to be a Cardiologist as well.
She listens to my family history, Mom passed from colon cancer, Dad from esophageal cancer, and my brother from heart failure.

She then sends me on a barrage of tests all good (thank God) except for the stress test. I lasted over 9 minutes on the treadmill, felt great during the test but at the end the EKG took a while to normalize. She comes in and says I need a stent! And could not believe I went for 9 minutes without problems.

I go in the hospital on 9/11 for a stent and once they put in the dye, the Doctor says stents are not going to do me any good, he shows me the monitor with the dye in my arteries. Much to my surprise I have blockage in 5 arteries with the main one at 90% blockage. Three days later I had bypass surgery!

I never had any symptoms, no signs of heart trouble at all. I was told by the surgeon that if the one that was 90% blocked went to a 100% I would have probably only 3 minutes to live.

Thanks to my new Doctor, she saved my life. It has been 3 weeks today since surgery and everything is healing great. I got the okay to drive again today and I can return to work in 2 weeks.

Lesson learned folks...it pays to have tests done. Had I not chose my new Doctor, I may not be here today. Let me tell you this puts a whole new perspective on life and I thank God I am here.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is why I love being a cardiologist. Everybody we fix is very grateful, because it’s such a scary disease.

I’m very glad you had that stress test!
I’ve had guys go way more than 9 minutes but still had an abnormal stress test and 90% blockage.

As a cardiologist, it pays to have Spidey Sense. Big Grin

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I had what seemed a lot like a possible "heart incident" happening a couple years ago. Called my doc. He wanted me to go into the emergency room RIGHT AWAY. "But I work out five-times-a-week, including doing HIIT cardio twice a week!" I protested. My doc replied "I have a mid-30s patient that plays pick-up ice hockey twice a week. I saw something in a routing physical. Had it checked out. He had an 85% blockage of the 'widow-maker' artery."

I went.

For those who've never done it: Ice hockey is perhaps second only to soccer for cardio intensity. I used to play pick-up ice hockey, myself. My twice weekly HIIT workouts are nothing compared to ice hockey demands.

(It turned out to be nothing but a panic attack.)

Glad it turned out well for you, 45_Auto!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hope your healing up well. Maybe you might think about dropping her a thank you note.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Glad things worked out well

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. We seldom hear anything about physicians other than complaints and it’s good to be reminded of how fortunate we are to live in a time and place where this level of health care is available.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news. It sounds like you are damn lucky you didn't have a heart attack during the stress test!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am very glad for you that they found it and fixed it, before you had a heart attack.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
90% blockage of the widow maker! Eek
Thanks, doc, a million. Smile

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
SWEET!
Glad they caught it before it got worse

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My father had a heart attack about a month ago.

70 years old, zero medical history for all relative purposes, worked hard all his life, active, very active. Retired but still oversees a farm with 4 sons living there doing the real work, 19-25 years old.

He had 5 blockages, 100%, 50%, 2x 30% and one at 20%, or something like that. Never had any signs prior, blood labs had been good, works out three times a week, eats healthy, hasn't smoked for 25 years, etc., etc., etc...

Scared the hell out of me. I'm 34 and kinda fat. I'm pretty active (walking/hiking frequently) with a fantastic BP and decent labs.

So I'm on my 6th week of being a Vegan lol. Kinda...made some serious changes to try to buy some time!

Why aren't dye tests done as a routine check at a certain age or frequency?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Late July 2005 I was packing motorcycle saddle bags for a trip to Sturgis and I felt a dull pain in both upper arms.

Phoned Doctor (female) who "ordered me" to call 911 for an ambulance ride to Tucson Medical Center.

At TMC I got the stress test and the dye injection and scope.

Several days later I was being prepped for a triple coronary bypass.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Glad your doc was thorough and you have had a positive outcome. Stick with the therapy in recovery will make all the difference.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I get an ultrasound every two or three years. Checks your arteries for blood flow and possible other problems. You can get it done at a hospital or use Life Line Screening which costs about $150.

http://www.lifelinescreening.c...o/What-We-Screen-For

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
Yes it was the "widow maker" that was 90% blocked.
I have an appointment next Friday with the Doc who discovered it, and believe me she is going to get a huge thank you!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I send patients for stress tests daily. If you come in to the ER complaining of chest pain, even if it was transient and have any sort of risk factors you are likely getting one. No worse feeling as a medical professional than missing something that’s potentially life threatening. Glad you are up on your feet.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad they fixed you up. We like having you around.

Smile

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank God for that! It is very serious. My dad had a widow maker recently and almost died. 100% blockage. If the ambulance hadn't gotten him to the hospital within 20min, he would have died.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Had a dobutamine stress test just last week (not a fun experience, that's some miserable stuff). I would have preferred a cath to be extra sure, but couldn't really justify it. Either way, I evidently still have the heart of a teenager. So I've got that going for me.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:Why aren't dye tests done as a routine check at a certain age or frequency?

I'd imagine it's a risk/benefit calculation. SJTILL can verify.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post